'01 Ranger Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual calls for ATF for the power steering in the subject pickup. What is the issue with using AMSOIL power steering fluid in this application?

Who makes the Ford Motorcraft ATF? Which Ford ATF are they saying should be used here?

I assume these have the typical Ford PS whine which requires frequent drain & refill, say every 30k miles?

Mercon V will work fine, any brand. I would guess that Conoco Phillips makes the Motorcraft Mercon V since they make their motor oils, but I'm not sure of that. Dex/Merc universal ATFs will work as well.

Personally, I've used nothing but Super Tech and Castrol Mercon V in Ford PS pumps with no problems to speak of. I do turkey baster changes when I remember to; I don't have a set schedule for changes. I sold my Explorer with 158K miles and my '01 Ranger with 93K miles on the original PS pumps with no PS problems at all. My current Ranger has 109K miles on the PS pump with no issues and nothing but turkey baster changes at random intervals since 15 miles with Super Tech Mercon V. In my experience these pumps are not all that picky and don't require that much maintenance.

I have heard about mixed results with Mobil 1 universal ATF...never used it myself. I have no idea how Amsoil would fair, but I'd use Amsoil ATF before I'd use a PS specific fluid. Ford pumps have always used ATF.

Some Ford PS pumps do whine a lot, but it seems more common on 1990s era vehicles with spotty maintenance histories. Often times it's the only issue with the PS system and doesn't really indicate that the pump is failing.

I have used M1 ATF in PS pumps for many years in Fords and have never had a failure or this whine you speak of.

I worked at the Ford plant (1990-2006) that made your steering system. I was around that stuff for 16 years and went home reeking of ATF every day and night.

Any DEXIII/Merc type fluid will suffice. You could use any TES-389 spec'd fluid. You could use GM's "Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid" (#88861800, which is just DEXIII renamed into the new fluid when they dropped the DEX III license). Any "DEX/Merc" or "D3/M" fluid from a quality lube maker would work as well.

If you want to use Amsoil, I'd presume you're wanting to get into a synthetic product. Don't use their P/S fluid. Use their "ATF" or "ATD" as they are ATF based products, and that is what the Ford system uses for steering fluid.

Or, you can use any synthetic ATF designed for the (former) DEX/Merc applications as well. Those would include the Mobil 1 ATF, TES-295 fluids, TES-295 clones, etc.

You can use Mercon V products as well.

Do NOT use DEX VI, Mercon SP, Mercon LV type products.

Last edited:
What is it about the AMSOIL PSF that doesn't play well in that system? I assume the same thing would apply to Redline & Royal Purple PSF?

To be honest, I don't know the full chemistry.

My point is this:
The Ford systems used ATF for YEARS. If you want to use Amsoil, why not use one of their products that meets the fluid design critera, rather than changing the type of fluid?

I have no problem going with an ATF. That's pretty common knowledge. However, I come here to try & learn the reasons for why certain things are "so".

Any insight into fluid change intervals?

Quote:
Any insight into fluid change intervals?

I recently had a need to work on my ex's 2002 Jeep Liberty. Before our split I switched the PS over to Amsoil ATF (via suction and fill method over time). I look at the ATF (4 years later) and the stuff was just slightly darker than the new stuff I put in.

It's always good to get new fluid in, but Amsoil ATF is tough in a PS application.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
I have no problem going with an ATF. That's pretty common knowledge. However, I come here to try & learn the reasons for why certain things are "so".

Its basically a belt-driven hydraulic pump.

Different pumps have different fluid viscosity requirements, some require a thin fluid like ATF, others a thick fluid. If the PS fluid is the same viscosity as ATF, then it would probably work fine...but I'll hazard a guess the ATF is thinner.

I do know changing PS pumps from ATF to PS fluid will typically cause them to whine, and operate poorly. I've seen this first hand in a Dodge application. ATFs seem to work better in colder weather too.

Redline Synthetic Power Steering fluid is ATF, I have used it, and it is good stuff.
If you read the bottle (or the specification tab on the redlineoil website) you will see that it is for power steering systems that use ATF.
That said, since I use Redline D4 in the transmission, that works great also as it is for Dex III and Mercon / Mercon V applications.

A quality synthetic will provide better cold flow and better heat tolerance than a non-synthetic.
FORD power steering systems are known for cooking the fluid.
That said.....pretty much all power steering systems run hotter than most of us realize.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
FORD power steering systems are known for cooking the fluid.
That said.....pretty much all power steering systems run hotter than most of us realize.

Ford's systems are not known for cooking fluids. But I can tell you what will do it ...

Holding the wheel all the way to the stops, where the pump is dead-heading against the flow because the steering gear cannot travel further. That will GROSSLY spike the fluid temp in the pump body QUICKLY. I cannot tell you how many times I see people do this in their garages, the parking lots, the school yards, etc.

When you feel the wheel stop, back off about 1/8 of a turn. It makes no difference in turn radius, but it makes a HUGE difference in pump response.

When you hold the wheel against the turn stops, the steering valve t-bar is still directing fluid (almost) fully to try and move the gear. Only when the t-bar is centered does the fluid flow "balance" and relieve into the bypass ports.

I know because I worked at the Ford Steering systems plant for 16 years. I saw the lab testing.

Is an internal relief valve used for the power steering positive displacement pump? What is the set pressure? Spring style I assume?

There is no internal pressure relief in the valve or the steering gear.

You'd not want it anyway. The goal is to provide pressure in the desired direction of steering, without loss of assist. If there was a pop-relief that stopped the over-pressure, it would also pop-off during a robust steering event (yanking the wheel to avoid a collision, turning hard and fast in a performance car, etc). If there was a "relief" of pressure during one of those events, you'd have zero assist. Most people would find that grossly disconcerting at a time when they needed the assist the most.

That is why the pressure dead-heads into the gear when you turn it to the stops and hold it there; there is no relief. The result is "cooking" the fluid, as you put it.

Last edited:
wiswind was the one claiming that a Ford power steering system cooks the fluid.

Anyway, I take it then that the pump itself simply doesn't produce enough pressure to require a relief valve, i.e. all components in the system are designed to handle maximum pressure developed by pump. That makes sense.

What is the weak point in these systems, or are they actually pretty reliable?

Sorry about the inference; I realize we have multiple contributors to this thread. Didn't mean to offend.

They are pretty reliable overall.

I do not recall the max pressure the pump can develop, but realize that at idle (or near idle) the pump is delivering it's least pressue due to the low speed in a parking lot.

It would be VERY bizzare to be at WOT (where pump speed is maxed and therefore pump pressure is greatest) and also be at full steering lock at the same time. Unless one is doing a wicked fishtail, tire smoking, power turn around and around and around in the high-school parking lot (don't ask how I know ....)

What is ironic is that the lowest pump pressure (at engine idle) is produced at the exact same time when the greatest pressure is needed for low speed steering assist. Basically, the pump is designed to provide at least a minimum pressure for good steering at low speeds, and the rest is simply a waste as the rpm increases. Don't forget that when the steering valve is centered, it's allowing flow to divert back to the return port without pressurizing either turn port. As soon as you turn, the t-bar flexes a bit, and that biases the hydraulic valve to pressurize one side. But that self equalizes very quickly (a second or two depending upon distance the wheel is turned).

But HOLD that wheel all the way against the steering stop, and that pump will deadhead and heat the fluid VERY quickly.

BTW - my new Fusion has electronic assist - works great and no fluid power waste.

Last edited:
Dave- Very informative treatise on Ford PS, thanks.

Any input on oil filtration in PS systems? I did some testing in that area and found the fluid pretty dirty and a Magnefine seriously cleaned it up, but I wonder if you've ever heard of or seen any tests on this.. being that you are (or were ) in the PS game?

The GM Hydroboost is the one that cooks the fluid in my experience. I measured almost 300 degrees in mine a few times (when four wheeling) and more than once had a "cherry volcano" coming out of the pump.

Jim - as for filtration, anything is better than nothing, for sure.

However, most all systems do not have anything but a screen on the pump intake. Very similar in concept to the older trannies that had only the "chunk catcher" type internal screen media. And there are a lot of systems that have gone a long time with no filter, and continue to function fine (like my 1995 Villager with 203k miles on it with only 1 fluid exchange).

Filters can help the p/s system, but like you said, it's the heat that kills them more often than not. If you cook the fluid, then the lubricating properties are obviously affected, and than has an effect on wear.

I don't know what the temp was on my Dmax hydroboost system (I suspect you had a gage) but it sure groaned a lot at low speeds (heavy steering loads) when hot. One of the very first mods on my truck was a p/s cooler; has helped a great deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back