6.0L PSD Cranks Hard or Won't Start When Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke with 171+K on it. Yesterday, I did quite a bit of driving between Albany and Buffalo, NY (including having to drive through where the I-90W was shut down due to an accident investigation of a fatal crash
crazy2.gif
) in 90+ degree heat. I noticed on multiple restarts that the thing was cranking hard and taking several seconds before starting. When I got home, I shut her down and parked it for about 20 to 30 minutes. When I tried to restart her to get to a late dinner, it just cranked-and-cranked with NO startie!'

This morning, I checked it and it started right up? Any ideas? Is this a common 6.0L problem?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, and it's a very good idea that I'm should probably do first. Is it an easy change on the F-350? And would a plugged fuel filter be more troublesome when very hot than it would cold?

You have a high pressure oil leak, either a block off plug in a fuel rail or a stc fitting leaking at the high pressure oil pump. It could also be a ipr solenoid sticking. You need to air test the high pressure oil system to isolate the leak.

I would add a potentially bad (weak) HPOP to the list-you're definitely losing oil pressure to the injectors. Are you running 15W40 or 5W40? I usually run 5W40 in the '04 6.0 and the oil will get hot enough to burn you with the dipstick when towing this time of year.

Quick disconnects on the HPOP. Major issue with this year. Ford has updated Disconnects. I replace these weekly.

The potential for a weak HPOP is pretty low on the 6.0 and the QDC's can give you the same impression. Parts are inexpensive but labor is pretty in tensive if you have not had it apart before. If you do go that deep, replace the oilcooler and filter screen under the cooler.
****AFTER REREADING YOU POST****

Do you have any scanning equiptment such as Auto enginuity? It helps to see ICP during the cranking condition to really know if you have an HPOP issue, Injector leaking ( Very Possible ) or a FICM issue. All of these can contribute to the condition you are having.

A leaking injector would be a very high possibility as it did start this morning without issue. The leaking injector will cause a overfueling condition and extended start times when warm

You need this truck scanned by an IDS system

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, I'm going to take it to a local Ford dealer A.S.A.P.

And Bullwinkle, I use 5W-40 TDT...

Last edited:
I would be leaning toward a HPO issue. Pumps are common on the 6 leakers, as well as IPRs. Check the STC fitting also. Another common failure.

Last edited:
'05 on up through '07 had almost no HPOP failures, the STC fitting on the other hand has been known to fail. Generally its only the dummy-rail o-rings and or the IPR, relatively economical repairs. The OP's truck is an '06, by then and including the '07 model year which was only a partial run these engines were some of the best, trouble-free diesels Ford had produced.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
'05 on up through '07 had almost no HPOP failures, the STC fitting on the other hand has been known to fail. Generally its only the dummy-rail o-rings and or the IPR, relatively economical repairs. The OP's truck is an '06, by then and including the '07 model year which was only a partial run these engines were some of the best, trouble-free diesels Ford had produced.

Exactly later model had very dependable HPOP.

My money is on the O-rings... Just saw 2 trucks at my buddy's shop for 30 second crank starting it was the orings

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Keep us posted Nick

Fixed. I'm told it was a relatively modest cost at $750 for a couple of o-rings and sensors IIRC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back