Hazet Ratchets

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago i visited the Hazet factory and bought these new Ratchets, i saw the 1/2" made from forging the white hot steel to pressing the handle on and boxing.
I wanted the best as i am so sick of the cheap junk that seems to be the new acceptable standard and i don't care for the shape or finish on Snap-On although the quality is excellent.
All parts are replaceable, the teeth and handle are readily available for a reasonable price, the handle is $2 for all models and the tooth set is about $20.

The 3 X 3/8 are regular course tooth, same but with flex head and 72 tooth fine tooth.
The 1/2 and 1/4 are course tooth.
The Wera was bought at a local German store for about half the cost.

The quality is amazing, these are so smooth with no play in the tooth set, they are really comfortable to handle.
sam0574copy.jpg

Hazet is tops, but I could never find anything at the prices you quote. Multiply it by four. Will revisit, may have changed distributor here.
As for junk being produced, the demand dictates it.

Last edited:
Trav, how dare you buy quality tools! Everybody knows that making trivial things like tools are justifiably outsourced to China. It is better for our service-based economy!

*sarcasm meter pegged*

I never heard of them before, but glad you brought it up. They look like some very nice tools. I also agree with the comment about a lot of cheap tools commonly available. Where do you buy these Hazet tools?

It doesn't seem to be a problem to you but I like the Snapon fine tooth better than course tooth ratchets. I don't care about plastic handles. I need the fine tooth ratchets. I actually have a 3/8" Craftsman "stainless" fine tooth ratchet from the 70's that takes just a couple of degrees of movement to do its work. I haven't had to rebuild it yet. I do take it apart to clean and oil it though. I like the Snap ons too big time. For course tooth ratcheting I have the Snap-on ratcheting box wrenches

Now, I have to say, if they put those fine handles on regular ( not flex head) ratchets with fine teeth I would buy one. Provided they are made in USA of course. Gotta keep the kids in jobs :)

The 3/8 Hazet on the left is a fine tooth 5 degree movement, the Wera is also. Plastic handles and matte finish is something you love or hate like smooth chrome and rounded steel.
Snap-On is great if you like the style and smooth finish.
I also have some old Craftsman, they were very good tools.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I also have some old Craftsman, they were very good tools.

Key word being "old". The latest Craftsman rachets leave a lot to be desired.

I've had a 1/2'' Hazet socket set in daily use for 35 years. The sockets and extensions etc have given no problems,but the handles haven't done so well. The standard ratchet lost it's change direction lever - I've made a rough replacement and now it's in my home workshop. The powerbar has a crack,and is now also at home,replaced with a T&E extra long. The long flex head ratchet also has a crack,I still use that at work,but only when I need a flex head,and never put any weight on it anymore.

The problem is the warranty - because of their age,those items are no longer made,so they can't replace them with like. I'd be happy with another Hazet handle of any type,but as the agency has changed hands a couple of times,there is also the problem of who I bought them off. Very happy with Hazet,not happy with the NZ agents who pass the buck. I also have sets of Hazet ring and open enders,long and short in both SAE and Whitworth,never a problem with these either.

Oh,and about the plastic handles - that's another reason for the tardy warranty....there are tell tale marks where some abusive user has used waterpipe as extentions.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Trav, how dare you buy quality tools! Everybody knows that making trivial things like tools are justifiably outsourced to China. It is better for our service-based economy!

I know, its terrible. LOL.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Key word being "old". The latest Craftsman rachets leave a lot to be desired.

They sure do, Craftsman was never Snap-On quality but they were good strong tools that would last and everyone could afford. I still have old Craftsman "V" (easco) and "G" (J.H. Williams) built ratchets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back