What coolant is compatible with Motorcraft Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would stick with the Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant, which is G-05. Why are you looking to switch to something else? Are you looking to top up? If so, just use distilled water. If you're flushing out the coolant, at $14 a gallon for Premium Gold, you cannot go wrong (you need 2 gallons for the Vic).

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
My local napa sells full strength Zerex G05 for $9.69 a gallon. That goes in all my Fords.

Your Napa price is very low, just check my local Napa at 515 E 1St Street, Santa Ana, CA 92701, the price is $15.99 for full strength.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I would stick with the Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant, which is G-05. Why are you looking to switch to something else? Are you looking to top up? If so, just use distilled water. If you're flushing out the coolant, at $14 a gallon for Premium Gold, you cannot go wrong (you need 2 gallons for the Vic).

The newbie guy at the Ford dealer [parts department] told me 1 gallon was all I needed for the 05 Vic..Glad you mentioned 2 gallons..I had a feeling he did not know what he was talking about cause it did not seem to make any sense to me.

It is 14 bucks down here for the Motorcraft Gold also.

Yes just to top off..I'll do the distilled water like you mentioned.

I tell my customers when they buy coolant for a complete fill to add one gallon of coolant, then one gallon of water. Then use the empty coolant container and what is left of the distilled water bottle to make 2 gallons of premix.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
The newbie guy at the Ford dealer [parts department] told me 1 gallon was all I needed for the 05 Vic..Glad you mentioned 2 gallons..I had a feeling he did not know what he was talking about cause it did not seem to make any sense to me.

It is 14 bucks down here for the Motorcraft Gold also.

Yes just to top off..I'll do the distilled water like you mentioned.

Yes, you need 2 gallons for the Vic if you want the correct 50/50 ratio. Just use distilled water to top up though. If you end up having to top up something like a liter, I would recommend getting the car inspected.

Over here, everyone uses one gallon as well, even in the shop at work. When I had my car in, I made sure they used the 10 gallons of distilled water I provided in the trunk, as well as the additional gallon of coolant. Call me anal, but since I no longer have time to do it myself, I want to be sure it's done right.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I tell my customers when they buy coolant for a complete fill to add one gallon of coolant, then one gallon of water. Then use the empty coolant container and what is left of the distilled water bottle to make 2 gallons of premix.

That's an interesting idea, thanks for sharing!
thumbsup2.gif
At one point, I made a chart of cooling capacities for the most popular cars, because customers don't even know what their cooling system capacity is. I got people accusing me of 'ripping them off when all the car needs is one' so I stopped being helpful, unless that polite customer with a smile walks in, willing to listen and understand. Then you get the geniuses who claim coolant is just for new cars and if the car is old, it'll run 'fine' on tap water.

Ford Gold, Mopar, Mercedes and Zerex are all G-05 Hoat coolants and will work just fine in a Ford cooling system.

Originally Posted By: rufushusky

Ford Gold, Mopar, Mercedes and Zerex are all G-05 Hoat coolants and will work just fine in a Ford cooling system.

+1. That's my list when I go looking for G-05 as well. Don't be concerned that Mopar G-05 is dyed red- its still the same stuff but the red dye makes it show up better in the overflow bottle. I've started dying Zerex and Motorcraft G-05 red for this reason also. The only concern I have with that is that the Mopar red is dangerously close to Dexcool orange, so if someone goes by color (which they should never do, but you know how it goes...) someone might add Dexcool to the system.

I left the car at a independent to flush the radiater..When I picked it up later on he said the level was at the max after one and and half gallons of Motorcraft Gold after the thermostat opened up..I can safely assume he did not get all the old antifreze out..I figure I will have to add distilled water in the next few days as the level usually drops after a day or two after getting it flushed..I was thinking of mixing the left over antifreeze with distilled water and adding that when and if the level drops.

In a few months it looks like I will have to give it a better flush..BTW he only charged me 30 bucks for the flush..I gave him the Motorcraft Gold to use..I am worried that I seem to have more antifreeze in the system then I am supposed to.

You could get one of those $3 Prestone hydrometers like they sale at Walmart and autoparts stores to check the coolant concentration. You can get fancier ones that cost a little more. Hydrometers aren't considered as accurate as refractometers, but good refractometers are expensive.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
You could get one of those $3 Prestone hydrometers like they sale at Walmart and autoparts stores to check the coolant concentration. You can get fancier ones that cost a little more. Hydrometers aren't considered as accurate as refractometers, but good refractometers are expensive.

Good idea..Thanks..So far it is staying full and looks clean as can be.

You cant get all the antifreeze out of these because the block drain on the passenger side is inside the engine mount. Best that can be done is the radiator and driver side drain.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
You cant get all the antifreeze out of these because the block drain on the passenger side is inside the engine mount. Best that can be done is the radiator and driver side drain.

Did not know this..Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You can get all the antifreeze out if you use Preston T-Flush, the radiator drain and heater set to high.

Interesting..Thanks..Actually when Ford did my last flush awhile back I had to get something out of my car while they were working on it and the car was running with the heater on the highest number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back