Who else has a car that needs Dexos motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Cruze calls for Dexos 1 motor oil. Right now I have some QSUD that's going into it for the first change once the OLM hits 50%. I'm thinking I'll just keep using QSUD since it's Dexos, and readily available at Wal-Mart.

Who else has a car that needs Dexos motor oil, and what oils are you running/planning on running?

So it's supposedly required oil for all GM gasoline engines beginning with the 2011 model year. I say dexos schmexos. No way can the engine require that oil. Sounds like scare tactics.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to use a GF-5/dexos oil like QSUD. The dexos spec requires higher performance in several areas than the GF-5 spec does.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
So it's supposedly required oil for all GM gasoline engines beginning with the 2011 model year. I say dexos schmexos. No way can the engine require that oil. Sounds like scare tactics.

Actually Dexos1 oil is a higher quality than non Dexos1. So why wouldn't you want to use it?

QSUD is marked on GM's Dexos Web site as approved. Since it's available for $21 at Wal-Mart, there's no reason why not to use it in my car.

I've got a fill of QSUD in the 'ol Honda now...been in there about 3,000 miles...gonna do a UOA on it at about 5,000 miles. I can't say I notice any difference over the PP and Ultra that I ran before.

My Terrain calls for Dexos 1. I have several 6 qt. 'cases' of Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1. Most of it was purchased two years ago. I'll be using that until it's gone.
It's all full synthetic and would certainly equal or pass the Dexos specifications, even at two or three years old.

Next oil change is in late September.

My 2011 truck requires Dexos 1 and right now I am running Mobil 1, but next oil change will be either QSUD or AC Delco Dexos motor oil from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: TTK
My 2011 truck requires Dexos 1 and right now I am running Mobil 1, but next oil change will be either QSUD or AC Delco Dexos motor oil from the dealer.

Isn't the M1 5W30 you are presently using Dexos 1?

Originally Posted By: TTK

I thought the trucks were extempt from dexos but maybe thats just full size trucks?

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Who else has a car that needs Dexos motor oil, and what oils are you running/planning on running?

Our Chevy doesn't require Dexos 1 (2007) but since it is the new standard I will use it. As far as I remember, Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 5w-30 are Dexos approved. I like both of them. The Kendall Synthetic I have been using says meets or exceeds Dexos 1 but is not approved. I will be using the M1 or PP unless Kendall gets the approval. I always try to use the current spec. Good luck.

The non-D.I. engines probably don't need the Dexos but GM calls for it so dealers don't have to carry yet another type of oil.

Also, it's an upgrade from the usual conventional oil that most GM owners used up to this point.

If you use synthetic oil, don't worry about it, most any quality synthetic will surpass the Dexos specs anyway.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
The non-D.I. engines probably don't need the Dexos but GM calls for it so dealers don't have to carry yet another type of oil.

Also, it's an upgrade from the usual conventional oil that most GM owners used up to this point.

If you use synthetic oil, don't worry about it, most any quality synthetic will surpass the Dexos specs anyway.

Considering the car in my driveway is both DI AND turbocharged, I 'm going to use at least a Dexos marked oil. Preferably one marked Dexos and GF-5.

My silverado requires DEXOS1. I am using Pennzoil Platinum and like it so far. The 3 major DEXOS1 approved oil are Mobil-1, Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ulitmate Durability. They are all excellent oils, readily avaible at Wal-mart(and most other major stores for that matter) and in my price range. I am not upset at all for GM requiring these quality oils in their engines.

Just a suggestion, and I hope it's taken in the spirit it is offered. Not trying to be a spelling Nazi at all....but.

Since this place is the premier site for motor oils and related topics. Perhaps we should make an effort to use the proper nomenclature when refering to dexos1 or dexos2?

It is dexos1....NOT Dexos1 or Dexos 1, or DEXOS1. No capitals, no spaces.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Just a suggestion, and I hope it's taken in the spirit it is offered. Not trying to be a spelling Nazi at all....but.

Since this place is the premier site for motor oils and related topics. Perhaps we should make an effort to use the proper nomenclature when refering to dexos1 or dexos2?

It is dexos1....NOT Dexos1 or Dexos 1, or DEXOS1. No capitals, no spaces.

I honestly didn't know. Thanks for pointing that out!

Hopefully my local Tractor Supply gets another truck with more Mobil 1 5w-30 for me to stash. Unfortunately, my stash just got obsolete with this new car! Well, there are always the family cars that need 5w-30, and don't care about it being dexos1 or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back