Best oil for a 2000 Mitsubishi V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son just purchased a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a 3.0L V6 from the dealer where the car was originally purchased. Car was a one owner car with dealer service (oil changes) every 3750 miles with a filter. Examination under the oil filler cap reveals spotless rocker arms, cams and all visible surfaces. The servicing dealer used non-synthetic oil and the last completed the last change just before selling the car. The car has 75K miles.

I am planning on changing to synthetic and using Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30. The car has no leaks and uses no oil (2000 miles so far). I am using the high mileage since the gaskets are 11 years old and maybe getting a bit hard. Kind of a preventive measure.

Any suggestions on oil recommendations? Things to be aware of?

Thanks,

Steve

I personally would use synthetic oil on a 5,000 mile interval, and change the filter each change. I typically prefer SOPUS products, and would use Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra in that situation. Overkill probably. But I enjoy servicing the car and enjoy using premium products. Either product could be used for 10,000 miles I would assume.

I prefer to use Purolator products, and would use either the white can Classic or the PureOne.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I prefer to use Purolator products, and would use either the white can Classic or the PureOne.

I sort of am going to use Purolator products. I was able to purchase Mann filters from Rockauto for $3.25 each/shipped. I understand these are Purolator classics. Interesting to note they are now black with the same look as their European counterparts, not white with a label. Says "Made in the USA" on the can.

M1 HM 5W30 sounds like a good plan.
thumbsup2.gif

Mitsubishi 6G72s had some problems with valve stem seals but I think they had it ironed out on the SOHC 24 valve models. I don't really see too many 3rd gen Eclipse GT/GTSes belching smoke on startup if they have been reasonably maintained.

The motor itself is pretty solid. If you see a leBaron with 250K+ mi, it's probably got a 6G72 and the owner kept up with the OCI and timing belt.

My 3000GT recommended 10W30 or 10W40 if you`re racing/driving extended high speeds. 5W30 was only recommended if you lived in below 0F conditions. Different engine though,mine was the DOHC V6. Do you have the original manual that came with it? I`d be curious to see what the fluid recommendations are compared to mine. I`d go with Mobil 1 10W30 over the 5W30 myself.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
I am planning on changing to synthetic and using Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30.

I say that's a good plan actually. Either that or an ACEA A3/B4 rated synthetic. Would also recommend a Hyundai 26300-35503 oil filter to go with it, once you've used up the Purolators.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My 3000GT recommended 10W30 or 10W40 if you`re racing/driving extended high speeds. 5W30 was only recommended if you lived in below 0F conditions. Different engine though,mine was the DOHC V6. Do you have the original manual that came with it? I`d be curious to see what the fluid recommendations are compared to mine. I`d go with Mobil 1 10W30 over the 5W30 myself.

I do have the owner's manual. Recommends 5W-30

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
I do have the owner's manual. Recommends 5W-30

Awesome! Then go with the Mobil 1 HM 5W30. Looking at M1`s specs,their HM oils look like their strongest. I`m using their 10W40 HM in my Z.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`m using their 10W40 HM in my Z.

The Amsoil online application guide says for a 1996 Nissan 300ZX to use 10W-30 above zero degrees
Fahrenheit and to use 5W-30 below 61 degrees Fahrenheit. What do you have to say to that?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back