Antigel Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Howe's Diesel Treat. I can get it in all of the chain auto stores or any travel plaza serving trucks. I also use it in my heating oil, and my heating tech comments on how clean the system is at each annual service.

Gelling is only one problem. Icing is another. You need to have an additive that tackles both. There is almost always traces of water in diesel. Usually not a problem. But when it is, it is a big one. I go thru around 21,000 gallons of diesel a year, so I can't afford to run into problems. But I am prepared. Over the years, I have grown fond of the Amsoil line of diesel fuel additives. Their Cold Flow Improver is pretty good. Recently, the son of a friend approached me about XLP Diesel Fuel additive. I dug around looking at specs for it online, and it is pretty close to the Amsoil stuff. It is made by an outfit in Olathe, KS under contract from Chevron for, if you can believe this, Amway! Price at application rate seems reasonable... 2/3 the cost of Amsoil line. I am going to be a guinea pig and test this stuff all this winter.

Since having my semi truck operational with low problems is critical in winter, I start putting additive in when we approach 32F. I get fuel from a variety of locations around the upper midwest, and even the top name outlets have occasionally had a load of fuel that didn't hold up well in cold temps. I don't play games and take chances. A gel up or other problem 700 miles from the house is not a good thing. I always carry spare fuel filters and additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back