Which Coolant for Hyundai & Kia ?

I have the following :
2007 Kia Sedona
2010 Hyundai Elantra
2011 Kia Forte

All have green engine coolant which I am unfamiliar with since it's not yellow (Prestone) or orange (Dexcool)type . Is there a factory coolant I need to use or would an after market recommendation suffice ? Thanks in advance for replies...

The only coolant that I know of (for sure) is Beck/Arnley green coolant and the stuff they sell at the dealership. It is a HOAT type coolant. Through asking around most Asian car coolants like Honda and Nissan or Zerex Asian will work for top off.

I wish I could give you a cheaper alternative that I know of for sure. All I know it is definitely a HOAT coolant.

My manual just says an "ethylene glycol based coolant for aluminum radiators". Beck/Arnley green is a good option if you don't want to mix dyes. I put Zerex Asian in mine and haven't had any issues.

Originally Posted By: cmf
My manual just says an "ethylene glycol based coolant for aluminum radiators".
yep, my Kia's stated the same thing....before I drove it off the lot and had a technician check all the fluids after I noticed the translucent coolant reservoir was wayyy low, he brought out some "KIA OEM" gallon jug of coolant, and added it to the overflow/reservoir....

Bottle looked similar in design to the Prestone/SuperTech bottles, and it was GREEN, I'd go with any old "all makes all models" green coolant....

All makes/All models coolant has 2-EHA in it. Kia OEM does not.
AL/AM is OAT coolant, Kia/Hyundai is HOAT (with phosphates)

According to Hiroshi Egawa et al of CCI Corp., Korean auto manufacturers use either the Japanese phosphate/organic-acid-salt coolant formulations, or the European/North American silicate/borate formulations.

Zerex Asian is alleged to be identical to Hyundai OE, according to Motor Magazine.

Thanks Zerex Asian may be a little easier to find and possibly less expensive than OEM coolant from Kia or Hyundai.

Hyundai is vague on their recommendations for coolant. The service fill is Asian pHOAT, Zerex Asian is one such.

you can get away with Prestone Cor-Gard too.

How did a 9 year old thread get revived? I have a sneaking suspicion that the OP has made his coolant choice already.

Back