Air Compressor oil change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... looked in my manual for my air compressor to see what it called for as of oil grade. It says Mobil 1 5w-30 should be used. I didn't have any on hand so I just dumped in some Amsoil SSO 0w-30. It sits in an unheated garage and i am tired of it tripping the breaker all the time.

What kind of compressor is this?
Most recommend 30w compressor oil, you can get it at HD, Lowes or HF.

Compressors need no multi grade or add packs that combustion engines need.

I put amsoil compressor oil in my majors compressor and it ran notably cooler than the conventional lube. Sure, yours specs a syn so you're good there but I'd run a purpose-built lube...

its a Campbell Hausfeld compressor, the mono grade gets to thick in the winter and it won't turn the compressor. The manual says nothing about using compressor oil.

http://www.chpower.com/chpdfs/manual04/615600_0605.pdf

Page 5

OIL CHANGE
1. Allow compressor to run and warm
up oil. Unplug unit.

2. Position a pan under pump end of
unit.

3. Remove oil drain plug (see Figure 6).
Allow oil to collect in pan. Tilt unit to
completely drain.

4. Replace drain plug, fill pump to full
line on sight glass. Use Chevron
synthetic 5W-30, Mobil 1 5W-30 or
10W-30 synthetic motor oil. Using
other types of oil will cause starting
problems.

5. Change oil after every 50 hours of
use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Big_Kat
... looked in my manual for my air compressor to see what it called for as of oil grade. It says Mobil 1 5w-30 should be used. I didn't have any on hand so I just dumped in some Amsoil SSO 0w-30. It sits in an unheated garage and i am tired of it tripping the breaker all the time.

Should start a lot easier with SSO. I use their SAE 20 compressor oil in mine, it works well for me.

Originally Posted By: daman
Use a thinner compressor oil like a 20w.

SSO is what i have on hand and i trust it more than other multi-viscosity oils that might shear. Classes start tomorrow so im broke.

my horizontil CH wanted 30W non-detergent oil. I changed the oil every season whether I got to use the compressor or not.. but I always used regular 30W, never had an issue with it..

Weird. On page 5 its says in bold letters.
"Do not use regular automotive oil such as 10W-30"
"additives in regular motor oil can cause valve deposits and reduce pump life"

IMO CH should get it straight with its Chinese manufacturer.
If your having trouble in cold weather use something like Redline or Amsoils 20w, both great oils and will hold up a long time in this compressor.

I've ran Mobil 1 5w30 for a LOT of hours (and years) in my big CH without a single issue, in any temperature from 100*F to -25*F. I think I've changed it once in all those years...it was the second fill after about a 30 minute break-in.

I recent changed the oil in my generic pancake compressor (it wouldn't start below 40*F) to 5w20 Mobil 1 (hey, its a cheap experiment) and it not only starts faster, it recovers quicker and runs cooler too! It was a very notable improvement.

I could understand the "additives in regular motor oil can cause valve deposits and reduce pump life" if we were talking about an oil from 1955, but aren't today's oils are specifically made to not leave deposits?

So i went ahead and got Amsoils 20wt compressor oil as the compressor is out of service because i destroyed the air filter... long story
43.gif
33.gif

I've used Amsoil 40 grade compressor oil in my little Makita for several years now and it's been great. "Cold" here is about 30F in the winter and it starts up without issue.

I was trying to air up a flat tire last winter in -5 degree temps and had to flip the on of switch back a forth for about five minutes to get the thing to run. Once the oil got to flowing it was all good just had to see how much wear took place during that time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back