Fram factory in Stratford, Ontario closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hannibal
Unless I missed something I didn't see where they said any production was moving to China. I don't know that we should assume that.

Its, not going to China, its going to Ohio, the tread just got side-tracked...
33.gif

Unless I missed something I didn't see where they said any production was moving to China. I don't know that we should assume that.

More and more of the Fram products I see on the shelves are Made in China, so it is hardly a stretch to figure that is what is happening with the ex-Canadian products.

Every Fram cabin air filter I've seen, for example, is Made in China.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Its, not going to China, its going to Ohio, the tread just got side-tracked...
33.gif

Actually the local newspaper just did a writeup of the buyout and said that Rank will "maintain its Greenville (,Ohio) operations". The average employee has worked over 30 years and about 180 jobs will stay for now. The plant makes oil filters and has 600,000 sq feet of space. My neighbor who past away a few years ago retired from there and both he and his wife also worked there for decades.

I am looking for any remaining Canadian made air filters from my Ecotec Grans Am because the new ones are hecho in Mexico with goofy square corners instead of being rounded. I think production must have moved south of the border about a year ago.

Originally Posted By: ddean

Actually the local newspaper just did a writeup of the buyout and said that Rank will "maintain its Greenville (,Ohio) operations". The average employee has worked over 30 years and about 180 jobs will stay for now.

Sounds like in the coming year or two those jobs will be gone to china or mexico too

Originally Posted By: urchin
Originally Posted By: ddean

Actually the local newspaper just did a writeup of the buyout and said that Rank will "maintain its Greenville (,Ohio) operations". The average employee has worked over 30 years and about 180 jobs will stay for now.

Sounds like in the coming year or two those jobs will be gone to china or mexico too

Actually I was going to write that but forgot to and then decided not to edit it in. There is the game where they hire in a bunch of temps for $2/hr over minimum wage and then lay them off after 5 1/2 months so the temp service does not have to spend money on any unemployment benefits. Then the cycle continues a few months later and local companies have been doing this 15-20 years ago when you could walk into the local McDonalds and start working for the same money tomorrow. I think that a number of Chinese and Mexicans will be touring the plant so enough.

It seems that this is part of a broader trend in filters. I just recently checked at the local auto parts store and discovered that the trusty WIX 51356, which for years had been the default choice for my Accord, was no longer Made in the USA but was now made in Mexico. (Naturally, the price had not been reduced - but I wouldn't have been happy, even if it had.)

I'm not impressed. It looks to me as though I'm going to have to find a new filter-of-choice.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder...plant closure...recently there was a recall...where was the recalled filter made?....bet there are some angry workers...hmmmm

This is what happens when good companies get bought out by a "holding company" or an "investment group". They don't give a hoot about the company or about its employees, only how fast they can sell it off and make their partners even more ludicrously wealthy. Capitalism at its finest... :rolleyes:

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
This is what happens when good companies get bought out by a "holding company" or an "investment group". They don't give a hoot about the company or about its employees, only how fast they can sell it off and make their partners even more ludicrously wealthy. Capitalism at its finest... :rolleyes:

Bain Capital....a political clue...

Originally Posted By: David_Corbett
It seems that this is part of a broader trend in filters. I just recently checked at the local auto parts store and discovered that the trusty WIX 51356, which for years had been the default choice for my Accord, was no longer Made in the USA but was now made in Mexico. (Naturally, the price had not been reduced - but I wouldn't have been happy, even if it had.)

I'm not impressed. It looks to me as though I'm going to have to find a new filter-of-choice.

Wix made in Mexico? Yikes! When I was last at Napa I was told that there canister style filters where made in the USA (North Carolina) and that the cartridge style filters were made in Poland and South Korea.

I never knew there was a Fram Factory in Stratford. I'm not a fan of Fram Filters but I do feel bad for all those employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back