****BITOG's FAVORITE OIL 2010 RESULTS****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how these figures match advertising budgets. In other words how important is advertising when you are selling a very technically orientated product to a market that has their interests in other areas.

Thanks for performing a huge task. A lot of suggestions from posters about how it could have been improved; how many of them are volunteering to do the work.

Promotional budget matters more than advertising budget, and SOPUS has not been shy about spending money on MIRs to promote their products.
If you take the Sopus products as a group, more than a third of the oil changes recorded used Pennzoil, Quaker State or Rotella (35.5%).
Rotella does not have much promotional spending (although it had at least one MIR over the survey period) while QS and PP have both had pretty heavy promotion. Both were also on clearance for a while at some retailers.
I bought another eighteen quarts of PP on clearance at MEIJER, for example, and I have fifteen quarts from the five bucks after MIR deal of the summer of 2009.
It may simply be a matter of a good oil at a good price winning every time.

How and why was this member essentially banned?
Sometimes, members are give a "vacation" if they get a little carried away.
Why would a member who devoted considerable time to compiling an interesting bit of information be banned?

I notice that both Peak and SuperTech are both on the list.

IMO...Wouldn't both Peak and SuperTech be considered the same oil since both are bottled, most likely on the same line, by Warren Distributing out of Nebraska?

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I notice that both Peak and SuperTech are both on the list.

IMO...Wouldn't both Peak and SuperTech be considered the same oil since both are bottled, most likely on the same line, by Warren Distributing out of Nebraska?

NO!

"Peak," IMHO, is a distant second to SuperTech products. The only time i have ever bought "Peak" is when i had a car that was not working properly, "had" to use it for whatever reason (seems silly now) and had to dump a gallon of antifreeze in it at a gas station, the gallon going for $12 to $15.

Supertech is Walmart's house brand and its actually decent oil. You could put Supertech in a LOT of cars and trucks, though people choose not to.

Peak is more like Lucas.
27.gif

As to this post and BITOG's favorite oil, the paid site supporters that gave cash donations recommend Mobil 1 80 to 90% of the time conservatively, so id say its XOM (which is also Supertech.................) And yes, Mobil 1 is quite good, but not all engines like it so for it to always be tossed out at first recommendation, you draw your own conclusions there. All im saying.

Anybody want to get market expenses for each manufacturer and list them alongside the numbers?

If anyone is interested, an easy way to get results in greater detail that can be analyzed easily is to use something like Survey Monkey.

I could set something up for 2011 if someone could supply questions with the pre-defined answers (that's the best way to automate the reporting).

Pennzoil, Whoa! I'm starting to think it's better than I always thought it was. I hear their Pennzoil Ultra is really really good.

I would venture a guess that the reason why Pennzoil is number one is because Wal-Mart sells it (just like F#$m filters). But I want to give the benefit of the doubt that people in the BITOG forums have a lot more knowledge about what they are actually put in there engines. I don't know anything about the newer formulation (PureBase) but I just can't get past the stigma that the original formulation was paraffin based.

Probably one pre defined question for next year would be do you change your own oil or have it done? I think the results would be interesting.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I just read this for the first time.Are you saying that Pennzoil is the best oil out there?

No, he's saying Pennzoil was used the most.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I just read this for the first time.Are you saying that Pennzoil is the best oil out there?

No, he's saying Pennzoil was used the most.

Ok.Someone needs to do a study and post results as to which is the BEST oils,synthetic and dino,in todays modern engines.5W20 oils would be a great choice.I'm very interested!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Ok.Someone needs to do a study and post results as to which is the BEST oils,

There is another sticky on that subject:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1664795#Post1664795

I just read that;Lets see what the members recommend for my truck;
2007 F150,4.2 V6,92K miles,drinven 80% on highways,usually 300-600 miles a month.
What oil is best for me and OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back