Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 5236mi. 01' Blazer 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest sample from Blackstone. 5236mi. on oil (did not change oil). 53083 mi. on vehicle. 90% hwy. Vehicle uses SDF-23 FF w/ BMK-11 & BE-90 and Amsoil oiled foam air filter. All items not listed were 0
aluminum 1
chromium 1
iron 7
copper 6
lead 14
tin 2
molybdenum 2
nickel 1
manganese 2
boron 29
silicon 15
sodium 5
calcium 2273
magnesium 720
phosphorus 910
zinc 1056
SUSvis@210F. 71.5
Flashpoint 400
fuel insolubles 0.4
Have LC/FP on order, will begin using when they arrive.

What oil did you have in it before.
confused.gif

[ August 24, 2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: dropitby ]

Same oil, same filters, same annual oil change regime in this car for 3yrs. I do annual oil change and bypass w/ FF changes at 6mo. So far so good but I'm going to use LC/FP to try and improve my viscosity issues.

Wow a full 40 wt after only 5200 miles. Amsoil needs to solve this thickening problem soon! A $6+ oil shouldn't need LC to go 5200 miles. Insolubles are higher than I would expect considering the bypass filter. Is this engine typically hard on oil? High oil temps? Wear numbers are very good though. How many miles will you put on in a year before it's changed?

quote:

Originally posted by snoboy:
So far so good but I'm going to use LC/FP to try and improve my viscosity issues.

I'm kind of a fan of Amsoil-but in this case I would try Mobil 1 or GC if it were me.

Pablo is right, the formulators of Amsoil seem to have ignored the basic fact that the newer Fuel injected gasoline engines don't dump much solvency from fuel dilution into the crankcase any more.

Combine leaner burns and hotter temps and oxidation is a real issue for what is otherwise a fabulous motor oil company.

One of the chemists that was foundational to Amsoil now works for Synergyn and its interesting that they pioneered thin weight racing and street oils 10 years ago . Maybe a difference of opnion existed then and now !

I know that LC and Amsoil in a gasoline engine are a great mix. UOA's sure convince me.

Terry

This car typically gets around 15000mi in a year. I'm sure thankful I found the recources of this forum because I used to just do the 1 yr,or 25000 miles and never looked back. I know its good oil but have to agree that at the price they get for this sk2 it shouldnt need anything added to it. But LC and FP are pretty cheap.

After looking at this report and reading another statement terry made :You bring up a good point. Many on this site judge an analysis result much too closely when a engine/oil combo needs 2 or 3 runs on same brand same engine to reduce variability. It shows me how hard it is to read these things when were changing oils all the time. Yet looking at this one I can't blame the oil first without knowing if he indeed run 25000 OCI on this Blazer.My gut feeling is weather its Chevron Supream or S2K the report must show improvement or repeted good results for me to stay with it.If the Tin is too high with Lead or Iron in 2 OCI thats reason enough for me to ask why or seek Terrys advice.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back