Oil For Kohler Courage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys....non-concur. There is plenty of room for the big filter on mine. (2010 model.....maybe a redesign?) The manual even lists the bigger Kohler filter as an option.

I've got a 2011 Husqvarna lawn tractor with the 21hp Kohler Courage. I ran the factory oil for my first cut of my 5acre field then changed it and put in Castrol 10W/30 - did not change the filter. I ran this until I got 15 hours and then changed the oil to Mobil 1 10W/30 and a new STP filter I cross referenced at Autozone.

So far the mower and engine have been fine. My BIGGEST complaint is that Kohler did not drill and tap for an oil pressure gauge. I went to install one (after reading and hearing about others just pulling a plug and installing the oil pressure sender and gauge) and there is NO plug! That really upset me as all the B&S motors have a plug.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Guys....non-concur. There is plenty of room for the big filter on mine. (2010 model.....maybe a redesign?) The manual even lists the bigger Kohler filter as an option.

Hmmm.. I've yet to see a Courage single cyl that will fit anything larger than an OEM filter. Even the brand-new stuff I've seen.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: 95busa

Hmmm.. I've yet to see a Courage single cyl that will fit anything larger than an OEM filter. Even the brand-new stuff I've seen.

Joel

I'm also confused by that??

I am using a Parts Master 61348,a larger filter than the OEM on the mower.I am fixing to change it out again and use another 61348 filter.The filter is made by Affinia.I dont like the really small OEM filter and this one is a little bigger.

There was quite a bit of gas in the oil when I got it and I want to make sure that I get it out before using it very much.I have Super Tech 15W-40 in it right now but may try the Super Tech synthetic 10W-30 and see how it does.

I know that a filter wont fix a fuel issue,I just want to change it again to make sure that the gas is out of the engine.

The mower has a solenoid that shuts off the fuel when the engine is off.The mower had been sitting for some time and the battery went low and the solenoid couldnt work and gas seeped into the crank case.

I put a shut off valve on it to keep anything like this from happening again.

I had thought about using the Super Tech synthetic but I think I will keep using a 15W-40 in it.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222

The mower has a solenoid that shuts off the fuel when the engine is off.The mower had been sitting for some time and the battery went low and the solenoid couldnt work and gas seeped into the crank case.

Those are normally-closed solenoid valves. With no power to them, the internal spring causes them slam shut and are supposed to prevent more fuel from entering the carb bowl.

There must have been something mechanical jamming the valve open? Dunno.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: motorguy222

Those are normally-closed solenoid valves. With no power to them, the internal spring causes them slam shut and are supposed to prevent more fuel from entering the carb bowl.

There must have been something mechanical jamming the valve open? Dunno.

Joel

I think that is how they are supposed to work but something must have been messed up on this one.

I took the float bowl apart and the solenoid out and didnt see anything,the battery going bad may have allowed it to get stuck and let the gas seep into the oil.

The mower had been sitting for some time and that may have been what was wrong.It seems to be doing ok,I mowed with it and didnt have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back