mobil1 or pennzoil premium 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which 5w30 synthetic has better used oil analysis results with
7-8k oci, vehicle 2006 tundra 110k miles

There will be advocates for each brand. I have had good UOAs with Mobil ONE and Pennzoil Ultra at about 8,000 miles in the Volvos - I would expect you'll get great results with either one in your Tundra....I would choose the one that you can find more readily/cheaper...

I assume you mean Penn Plat not Penn Prem. Both oils are very good. UOAs are not a way to measure how much an engine actually wears, only a tear down can determine that. UOAs can tell you the condition of the oil or if outside contaminates are in the oil. Coolant, fuel, dirt getting past the air filter, etc. As for mileage, I've been doing 10K OCIs since the 70s with M1 oils.

Last edited:
There wouldn't be a difference. There certainly wouldn't be a measurable difference.

On 06 Tundra, you can signup for the pennzoil extended warranty and print a rebate for 20 bucks off pennzoil platinum or 25 off the pennzoil ultra, which basically makes either free for you to try:

http://pennzoilwarranty.com/signup/

I have used Mobil 1 for years with great results. I did switch to Castrol Edge in my Corvette due to increasing lead in my UOAs, the lead immediately came down by a factor of 3 ! I have stayed with Edge in my Corvette.

I have switched to Pennzoil Platinum in my other cars. But, if Mobil 1 is cheaper, I will still use that.

I also use Pennzoil Ultra in my son's Infiniti G37 Coupe, an excellant oil.

You need to clarify which oil you are considering; Platimun or Ultra ?

The statistical analysis is solid, the problem is that the underlying data isn't. It's not controlled (in any sense) but more importantly meaningful information on engine wear cannot be derived from UOA's.

Your efforts would be akin to me watching cars on the highway, finding red cars have a higher average speed, then concluding that red cars are faster.

You should read some Doug Hillary.

I guess the most important thing you seem to be missing,

Statistical analysis shows less iron in UOA's may be correct. Implying that this means there is less wear on the engine is not.

By the way, did you just cite yourself as a reference? Nice.

Last edited:
If I could win a lifetime supply of either Mobil 1 5w30 or PP 5w30 (both of which are dexos1 spec'd) and I was going to change the oil every 7 or 8K I'd probably pick the PP.
I know both are great oils but the 'iron thing' with Mobil 1 bothers me a little.....

Do you or did you ever work for the DuPont Company ??
Your response indicates you probably have at some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back