5.3ltr 1st coolant change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trying to decide if i want to mess with this, its a 06 Silverado.. ive done many coolant changes on old beaters, pull the plug, or the bottom hose, let it drain, refill, let it get hot, add more.. add some to the RES and then for a week or so monitor the RES level.. but that was old beaters, This is my nice truck.. ive heard talk of flushing coolant line, and more.. do i want to do this ? can anyone give me the propper steps for this truck for a do-it yourselfer. I guess what im asking is the local dealer going to do anything for that $100.00 (anything special) other than drain it and refill it, that i cant do myself in my garage ? I appreciate all opinions.

This is what I do, although easier ways are likely available.

When I do a coolant change, I replace the Thermostat at the same time. With the t-stat out and lower hose removed, I run a hose through the t-stat housing and it drains from the lower hose. Run water until it comes out clean.

I also run the hose through the radiator, which will obviously run out the open orifice at the bottom of the radiator. Again, run until water is clean.

Button everything back up, fill with water/antifreeze. I run it with the cap off for a bit to get the air out of the system. I also squeeze the hose which seems to speed up the process.

Take for a nice drive and check the level. It's always worked for me! It also gets a lot of old stuff out of the block. I use a couple of 5 gallon buckets to collect the old fluid.

Costs roughly $40-45.00

I use Preston T-Flush in my LS400, cost about 10-20 gallons tap water and 1.5 gallon concentrate antifreeze. I flush the coolant every 2-3 years and after 17+ years and 260+k miles no problem anywhere. The whole process took about 5-10 minutes.

This one wont have a drain plug on the Radiator. It's pull the hose and run. Since the thermostat is in the lower hose you must remove it to get the water out of the block.

Don't mess with the plastic heater fittings up by the windshield. They are brittle and a pasin to replace.

I did the following procedure twice last year on mine and used Zerex Dexcool:

Undo the clamp at the lower hose connecting to the thermostat housing.

Point the hose into a suitable bucket or container. You may have to push it down while draining or wedge it so it'll drain into a bucket. You'll probably get about 8-10 quarts out of it.

Clamp the hose back up, refill the reservoir, and start the truck.

Keep the cap off the reservoir and keep refilling until all the air is worked out.

Recheck after a drive and top off as needed.

Do this again at a later date and you'll have most of the fluid exchanged.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I did the following procedure twice last year on mine and used Zerex Dexcool:

Undo the clamp at the lower hose connecting to the thermostat housing.

Point the hose into a suitable bucket or container. You may have to push it down while draining or wedge it so it'll drain into a bucket. You'll probably get about 8-10 quarts out of it.

Clamp the hose back up, refill the reservoir, and start the truck.

Keep the cap off the reservoir and keep refilling until all the air is worked out.

Recheck after a drive and top off as needed.

Do this again at a later date and you'll have most of the fluid exchanged.

Thanks BigMike, this is what i was after, is the zerex premixed or do i have to get distilled water for my 50/50 ?
ALSO: did you change the thermostat when you did yours ? Ive got 60,000 on the truck and the cooling system is woeking fine, this is simply preventative work.

Last edited:
I'm at 52k miles on mine and I didn't change the thermostat. If you wanted to change the thermostat, you could very easily. I'd go with an OEM but someone else might have some other recommendations.

If you use premix 50/50, you'll need 3 gallons (maybe more if you do the thermostat - I'm not sure). I got right about 10 quarts (2.5 gallons) out when I did the drain/refill on mine.

I used the premix Zerex. I wanted it to be as easy as possible. I got Zerex at Amazon (I think $9 / gallon shipped), but I noticed it isn't anymore.

Havoline or Zerex Dexcool is what I'd recommend, but that's just a personal decision.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I'm at 52k miles on mine and I didn't change the thermostat. If you wanted to change the thermostat, you could very easily. I'd go with an OEM but someone else might have some other recommendations.

If you use premix 50/50, you'll need 3 gallons (maybe more if you do the thermostat - I'm not sure). I got right about 10 quarts (2.5 gallons) out when I did the drain/refill on mine.

I used the premix Zerex. I wanted it to be as easy as possible. I got Zerex at Amazon (I think $9 / gallon shipped), but I noticed it isn't anymore.

Havoline or Zerex Dexcool is what I'd recommend, but that's just a personal decision.

Much thanks

Well, I changed my coolant today, all i did was pulled the lower hose off the radiator. the system calls for 14qrts of mixed 50/50 dexcool, i purchased two jugs at 4 quarts so a total of 8 quarts, mixed for a total of 16 quarts.. i made a huge mess and only caught the majority of it, i estimated around 8 quarts came out of the rad, and 8 went back in perfectly.. My only concern was what came out looked very "faded" the Dexcool mix looked like alot more water than dexcool.. completely from the factory. the 50/50 mix i put in had alot more colour to it. the truck had no heating/cooling issues before, and is maintaining a steady 190'ish (as always) now.. im going to run this mix for a little while, maybee in 10,000 more miles i will perform this same procedure again. I have a total of $27 in the whole operation today. I know the block itself and the rest of the cooling system is still holding the other 6 quarts, So if the truck goes on a steady diet of every 10,000 miles (year and a half to two years) It wont take long and i will always be way ahead of the manufacturers recomendation. took all of about 20 minutes today.. *note* im deffinately not a fan of the clamp GM uses on the Rad Hoses.. some higher quality worm gear clamps perhaps ? im open to suggestions..

Yeah, did I fail to mention you'll make a huge mess?
lol.gif

I use one of these to help, but it still goes everywhere:

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-11845-Green-Drain-Pan/dp/B000B917PW

Keep the GM clamps. You might want to buy hose clamp pliers though. I never did - I just curse and beat up my hands with a set of channel locks or vice grips, but the hose clamp pliers supposedly make it much easier.

Make sure to keep it topped off!

Did you decide to change the thermostat?

No, i didnt change the thermostat.. i kinda have the "if it aint broke dont try fixing it" menatalit when it comes to thermostats.. I changed a perfectly good working thermostat one time as a preventative maintence, and installed a piece of junk.. Im not saying im going to wait till it fails, but im not scared of it at my miliage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back