Reliability of Dodge Ram trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dodges are hit or miss for most people that I know. Some run 200k with just filters and fluid, while some can't keep them out of the shop... My dad's 05 is the later catagory, but he is loyal to dodge and thinks its a great truck. I have had a 98' 24V Cummins 4x4 3500 5spd. It had the dash replaced twice, would eat front tires ever 25k miles and dodge claimed it was fine, rear cargo light leaked water and ruined a stereo system I had in it. The Dana 80 puked its guts and was told the "roll pins" back out in them. The door handle broke and the ac compressor locked up.
in 109,000 miles. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
my step dad's 02 24v Cummins 4x4 3500 auto was the same plus 3 transmissions in 80,000 miles.
He went to Chevy's with Duramaxes and I went to Ford PSD's and we couldn't be happier.
Dusty

My friend has had 4 Dodge Rams.

The 1985 had carburetor problems. Nothing else really wrong with it but replacing the carb with an auto parts store reman didn't help. Finally found someone who new what they were doing and got it fixed. I thought it was a good looking truck. Terrible turning radius. Stupid '80s carb was the persistant problem.

The 2000 needed new brakes every 15-20,000 miles. I'm convinced that it's because he physically cannot just lift off the gas to slow down a bit. He absolutely must be pushing one pedal or the other.
He had the transmission rebuilt at around 120,000 miles. It had never been serviced.
The 5.2 was a bit underpowered but never had a problem. Similar power to a smaller 4.6 Ford Modular, but different. You could feel the 318 pulsing through the gas pedal. Not in an intrusive way though. You feel connected to the engine. And it sounded good. I liked driving that truck. It felt like a fullsize truck in all the right ways.

It recently got traded in on a 2011 Hemi Ram 4X4 just before the 2000 turned 190,000. Can't say anything about the reliability of the new truck. But Capt. Digital Driver will break it if it can be broken. He turns the key fob, jams it into drive or reverse and stabs at the gas pedal while the starter motor is still turning. No waiting for any sort of oil pressure, just go.
I like driving that truck too.

He inherited a Ram 2500 diesel. He doesn't really drive it that much so I can't comment on the reliability of that particular truck.

Have 8-years and nearly 180k on my 2WD 305/555 Cummins with the man trans. About 4,600-hours. Just replaced original batteries. First tire replacement was 120k (with 4/32's remaining), also shocks & brakes. Current wear on tires is that second replacement set will be due at 250k. Ignition switch and u-joints done the past two years. MPG average has been above 22-mpg (logged) the past 28k miles; or 13-cpm. Stock, no modifications.

Nothing uncommon in the above for this truck spec, and other owners (private and commercial) in this terrain & climate report nearly identical numbers. Same with pulling our 34' travel trailer: 13-16 mpg, backroads and Interstate. And no squeaks, no rattles. Icy air conditioning.

Not bad for a truck that scales just over 7,400-lbs.

Originally Posted By: TheTanSedan
Have 8-years and nearly 180k on my 2WD 305/555 Cummins with the man trans. About 4,600-hours. Just replaced original batteries. First tire replacement was 120k (with 4/32's remaining), also shocks & brakes. Current wear on tires is that second replacement set will be due at 250k. Ignition switch and u-joints done the past two years. MPG average has been above 22-mpg (logged) the past 28k miles; or 13-cpm. Stock, no modifications.

What company makes those batteries? I hardly ever see batteries last over 3 years in intense year-long heat.

I spend a of time camping and on the RV boards and it seems to me the Cummins trucks last a long. Aside from the front end problems the guys using the gassers and diesels to tow love them.
Funny seeing the rearend problems. American axle makes them. Same guys who make the Rearend for the GM trucks. They are pretty similar. I think a lot of parts are the same. I would like to know the history of the trucks that are breaking them.

What I do see on the RV boards and talking to guys when camping is disgust for the 6.0 Powerstroke. That is why you see them cheap on the lots. EGR cooler and headgasket issues. There are some good ones, but after camping for 10 years and seeing all the issues with them you couldn't give me one for free.

I know that Dodge automatics have always been made of glass and I could never bring myself to own one ever. All of my friends and family who have Dodge trucks and SUV's have replaced the transmission. Before 100k too, which is a joke. The only person I know who hasnt had transmission issues with their Dodge has a manual. But it consumes oil like its going out of style so it still sucks.

Last edited:
My '97 Dodge Dakota with a V-8 engine had its original automatic transmission. It had about 180,000 miles on it when I sold it. I changed the ATF once, with new ATF+4, and the transmission shifted very well. I pulled light loads with it (jet ski) and used it as a truck and it performed well. As far as the transmission goes (it was the 44RE), or the powertrain in general, I had no complaints. In fact, it was a very good truck all-around.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
My '97 Dodge Dakota with a V-8 engine had its original automatic transmission. It had about 180,000 miles on it when I sold it. I changed the ATF once, with new ATF+4, and the transmission shifted very well. I pulled light loads with it (jet ski) and used it as a truck and it performed well. As far as the transmission goes (it was the 44RE), or the powertrain in general, I had no complaints. In fact, it was a very good truck all-around.

97-04 Daks are one of my favorite Dodge product ever. They are great! I'd still love an 03/04 4.7 4x4 but I can't justify that with gas prices the way they are
frown.gif

My dad's Hemi was on the verge of overheating yesterday 240*. What Now.... Its not impressing me with the OVER abundance of quality in this fine dodge

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
My dad's Hemi was on the verge of overheating yesterday 240*. What Now.... Its not impressing me with the OVER abundance of quality in this fine dodge

Why not just figure out what the problem is?
Overheating can have many causes.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

97-04 Daks are one of my favorite Dodge product ever. They are great! I'd still love an 03/04 4.7 4x4 but I can't justify that with gas prices the way they are
frown.gif

thumbsup2.gif
+1

The gas mileage was the killer for me too. But I really liked that truck

I loved my '95 Dakota Sport 2wd. It was very quick with the 318/3.92 gears in std. cab, SB form. The interior was quite crude, but it was fun to drive in a straight line.

(sorry to get off topic)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back