Brand New Dodge Ram Hemi, when to change oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi. I have to return to the dealer to have some accessories installed tomorrow. The dealer is 70 miles away, and I get one free oil change from them too. With almost 300 miles on the truck by the time I arrive there tomorrow, would that be too early to have the oil changed?
Is there a certain brand of oil that does better in the Hemi? I did some searching here, and didn't really come up with much. All I know is that I have to stick with the 5w-20 due to that gas saving cylinder deactivation system.
What about filters? Is there a larger filter for this engine? I tend to stick with Wix.

Thanks in advance for any and all info you can share!

Congrats on the new truck, 390hp is a lot of fun! If its a 2011 its not a Dodge Ram anymore its just a Ram 1500. When Fiat took over they spilt the Ram brand off from the dodge brand. Just an fyi
smile.gif

300 miles is definately too early to change the oil. Read the owners manual and see what it says. With engines and oils today there is no reason to change it before a couple thousand miles. I wouldn't use a bigger, use the recommended filter due to the possibility of negative effects on the mds system. Wix is a good choice along with any good dino/syn, just depends on what your driving style and conditions are like.

I take short trips to work. 2.5 miles at a time. I run home for lunch and back, and go and pick the kids up from school so there is some idle time there too. I've always been a fan of an oil change at 500 miles, 1000 miles, then 3k, 5k, 10k, 15k...The manual says something like 7k for the oil change, or when the change oil message appears on the info center on the dash. I'm def not a fan of letting the truck tell me when.

I took it easy on the truck for the first 100 miles, then started to progressively accelerate harder and harder away from stoplights, etc. The 390 hp is a ton of fun, and even better with the limited slip diff and 3.92 gears!

With all of that short distance driving around town, I'd stick to a 6mon/6k oci with a good syn or synblend. If you must I'd wait until atleast 1k to dump out the factory fill. There really is no reason to dump it earlier but its your truck and you have to do what makes you feel best.

Last edited:
I go ~ 1/2 the recommended first change mileage. FF generally has assembly lubes and some anti-scuff additives to assist in breaking in a new engine. I definitely would not change it out sooner than 2,500 miles. Ed

Originally Posted By: volk06
Congrats on the new truck, 390hp is a lot of fun! If its a 2011 its not a Dodge Ram anymore its just a Ram 1500. When Fiat took over they spilt the Ram brand off from the dodge brand. Just an fyi
smile.gif

Actually, spinning off Ram as its own brand pre-dates Fiat. The official announcement came after Fiat, but way back in 2008 they were removing the Dodge name from the trucks in anticipation of spinning off the brand. Which was and is kinda dumb... the trucks will FOREVER be Dodges in everyone's mind

And for the OP... go ahead and change the oil. Its NEVER too early to dump the break-in fill and put a new filter on there to catch the rest of the junk.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
And for the OP... go ahead and change the oil. Its NEVER too early to dump the break-in fill and put a new filter on there to catch the rest of the junk.

I agree with this, since it can't hurt to change it early and it might be beneficial to do so.

Sounds like marketing to me lol....

not to mention a long greeting when they answer their phones:

"Thank you for calling your local Chrysler Plymouth Dodge Jeep Eagle Ram, how can I help you?"

lol. yea, one of the local dealers still has the "Eagle" and "plymouth" in their name....kind of odd, I guess to "keep the brand alive" :p Or appear to the folks who still have Plymouth'
wink.gif

Anyways, I'd keep the factory fill in there for at least 3000 miles....

Hi Jason,

Your driving pattern is clearly severe service. What does the owner's manual say about OCIs for severe service?

We've seen some pretty stout oils need changing after as little as 3000 miles with the kind of short tripping you indicated you do. The only way to tell is with a UOA.

BTW, if the oil monitor is an intelligent one, based on running conditions rather than mileage, it will take your driving patter into account and shorten the OCI accordingly.

There is no such thing as anti scuff additives in factory fill.
if you want to reduce scuff you change the oil ealy and often during first 6k miles.
Moly can be added to the replacement oil if desired but I don't see any reasonsfor it. In fact I prefer very little moly in break-in oil.
I would change the ff oil early any where from 600~1200 miles. It helps the engine in long run. M1 5W-20 is robust oil.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I agree with this, since it can't hurt to change it early and it might be beneficial to do so.
Does the Hemi have a rollerised valve train? If not, The cam will be worn in pretty good by day one, but if the FF is moly laden - I'd let it go 2K. Also, this is 20 grade and its prob not shear prone (if its a 5w conventional). The oil filter will take care of the big bits. A change to SN resource conserving oil wont speed break in with the FAE or AN in it. I bet we will see protracted 10-15K wear in on current new car UOA.

old wives a squawkin'... modern engines do not require any special break in. Change it when you should. Use a premium synthetic.

And many manufacturers DO add things to the FF oils. My car shipped with a break in mix.

That Eagle motor is one [censored] of a torque monster. Have fun!

Originally Posted By: JasonK94Z
I take short trips to work. 2.5 miles at a time. I run home for lunch and back, and go and pick the kids up from school so there is some idle time there too. I've always been a fan of an oil change at 500 miles, 1000 miles, then 3k, 5k, 10k, 15k...The manual says something like 7k for the oil change, or when the change oil message appears on the info center on the dash. I'm def not a fan of letting the truck tell me when.

I took it easy on the truck for the first 100 miles, then started to progressively accelerate harder and harder away from stoplights, etc. The 390 hp is a ton of fun, and even better with the limited slip diff and 3.92 gears!

I do the same with all my new vehicles 500,1500 and switch to synthetic at 3K, 5K oil changes from then on
thumbsup2.gif

Honda & Subaru are two known makes who use FF additives and most DO USE anti-scuff assemble lubes that get into the oil. Change out too early and you loose these benefits.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Honda & Subaru are two known makes who use FF additives and most DO USE anti-scuff assemble lubes that get into the oil. Change out too early and you loose these benefits.

Yabbut those additives do virtually all their work in the first half hour of operation, too.

Frankly, I don't think it makes an iota of difference for most engines whether you change the factory fill early or at the first normal change interval. I personally err on the side of changing early because I've seen more filters with flaws (holes) that would let the break-in detritus circulate than I've ever seen cases of a problem from getting rid of break-in additives after the first couple hundred miles. And I've also seen the kind of break-in detritus that comes out of engines that were built with surgical cleanliness, too. I wouldn't want it to recirculate

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
It helps the engine in long run.

Really? How does it help it? Millions of cars go 100-200k after running the FF for 5-10k, those cars didn't need any help.

At the risk of being called a hypocrit, I must confess that I change out the FF early in every new car I purchase. I do it simply because it makes me feel better.

At the risk of being called a hypocrit, I must confess that I change out the FF early in every new car I purchase. I do it simply because it makes me feel better.

Me too
smile.gif

I personally like to drop the FF at 1K on cars we buy new.
As others have noted, it probably doesn't matter.
The engine will live a long life whether you do an early change followed by a 3K run and then go to a normal change interval or just leave the oil alone until you hit the normal change interval.
The engine should lead a long, happy life either way.
Your truck, your engine, your choice.
An early drain certainly can't hurt anything, however.

Originally Posted By: CaspianM
It helps the engine in long run.

Really? How does it help it? Millions of cars go 100-200k after running the FF for 5-10k, those cars didn't need any help.

There are all sort cra**y engines on the road. Go to used market and take a look.
Early oil change is a no risk, cheap way to make sure your new motor is getting fresh lube to breakin properly as opposed to fuel contaminated, sheared with load of metal particles oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back