Rotella vs Rotella T5 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the real difference between the T and the T5 ?
I run the T5, but I have a chance to grab 5gals of reg. Rotella for 35 bucks from a local truck garage that is closing up.
both 10w-30
Yea I know I can run it and i'm gonna!
But I'm just curious as to what i'm missing out on while running the regular.
I can't really find a good comparison that is recent, I found one but later in the thread somebody commented that the data was incorrect.

thank you gents !

Last edited:
The "T" as you call it is probably the "Tripple Protection" conventional oil? I run this in 10w-30 with great results. If you can get 5 gallons for $7 each, buy it now! If you don't want it, buy it and send it to me for that price!

The T-5 is the semi-syn Rotella.

There is a T-3, but that is not the same as "Tripple Protection", if I understand correctly. The T-3 is a fleet grade oil. The "Tripple Protection" is a higher product. Both are "dino" oils.

The T-1 is the monograde stuff.

Their website explains it fairly well; check it out.

Last edited:
from shell's site;

Shell Rotella® T5 is formulated and designed to energize the oil's performance and provides fueleconomy benefits*, improved low-temperature flow, and delivers an advanced "Low-SAPS" formulation which helps control the blocking or poisoning of exhaust after-treatment devices.
* Compared with conventional Shell Rotella® T Triple Protection® 15W-40 engine oil.

this is the only diff ??

Originally Posted By: wsar10
what is the real difference between the T and the T5 ?
I run the T5, but I have a chance to grab 5gals of reg. Rotella for 35 bucks from a local truck garage that is closing up.
both 10w-30
Yea I know I can run it and i'm gonna!
But I'm just curious as to what i'm missing out on while running the regular.
I can't really find a good comparison that is recent, I found one but later in the thread somebody commented that the data was incorrect.

thank you gents !

The T5 is a synthetic blend, the T or T-3 or whatever they call it this week is a dino oil. So the T-5 has slightly better cold flow properties and umm...hmmm...that is about it. That is a slamming price on a great oil...GET IT!
smile.gif

Last edited:
got it, like I said I'm gonna use it period, but I was just curious.

Yeah the semi-synthetic has ever so slightly better cold flow properties but other than that they are about even. I am running the T5 just cause I couldn't find the dino 10w-30 locally.

Originally Posted By: rufushusky

Yeah the semi-synthetic has ever so slightly better cold flow properties but other than that they are about even. I am running the T5 just cause I couldn't find the dino 10w-30 locally.

I concur.

I use the dino 10w30 version which I can buy on sale here at Advance every 5 months or so, also will snag the T-5 at Walmart when they stick instant coupons on them every once in a while. I'm a huge fan of 10w30 Rotella's and as best as I can tell the add packs are essentially the same, but the T5 has a little better flow properties due to the syn blend.

KC I'm begining to think you like me...........following me around like this !;)

KC I'm begining to think you like me...........following me around like this !;)

That's funny, I did not notice you were the OP. I guess we suffer from several of the same sicknesses hah hah.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
T5 is a syn' blend with the 30wt grades but the T5 0W-40 is a full syn' formulation (may not be available in the States).

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm under the impression that the T5 as semi-syn, and the T6 is full syn. Not sure how they'd have a T5 full syn?

There's another thread in here about it being a 0w-40 semi syn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Not saying you're wrong, but I'm under the impression that the T5 as semi-syn, and the T6 is full syn. Not sure how they'd have a T5 full syn?

That's exactly what the bottles here say. T5 is synthetic technology, whereas T6 is labeled as fully synthetic. The T5 on our shelves is 0w-40 and the T6 is 5w-40, both priced the same at most places.

Originally Posted By: Garak

That's exactly what the bottles here say. T5 is synthetic technology, whereas T6 is labeled as fully synthetic. The T5 on our shelves is 0w-40 and the T6 is 5w-40, both priced the same at most places.

"Synthetic Technology"? Don't you just love marketing folks and their command of the English language?

"Synthetic Technology"? Don't you just love marketing folks and their command of the English language?

Well, we BITOG users are privileged, after all. We know that "synthetic technology" actually means synthetic blends, unlike the unwashed masses.
wink.gif

We also know that there's nothing wrong with a Group III/III+ "full synthetic" either, unlike the unwashed masses.

I suppose for the choice between T5 and T6, one should just choose the appropriate grade and go from there. There's certainly nothing wrong with the price of either, at least from a Canadian perspective. Its regular price is far more attractive than that of either Delvac 1 or TDT, but it's still about double the price of HDEO conventional.

Haha, best at the world in making you buy stuff you DON'T need.

Actually in the states at most wally worlds T5 is only 2-3 bucks more a gallon than Rotella, Delo or Delvac conventional.

Originally Posted By: Garak
... We also know that there's nothing wrong with a Group III/III+ "full synthetic" either, unlike the unwashed masses.

How very true. There are plenty of great group IIIs that can post UOAs as good as any PAO. Not always, admittedly, but often.

EVERYTHING is a compromise in life. The challenge (and thrill) is getting the most benefit for the least investment, with the smallest acceptable risk.

CCS for the Triple protection 10W30 is 6400 cP @ -25C
CCS for the T-5 10W30 is 6000 cP @ -25C
CCS for the Triple protection 15W40 is 6600 cP @ -20
(one older source lists 6300 cP @ -20)
CCS for the T6 is 6000 @ -30C

Ah yes - facts. Thanks Jim.

T5 10w-30 and T6 5w-40 should both crank as well, and therefore start as well.

But the T5 will do it for a lot less money.

And I think by now I (and others) have shown with UOAs that the lighter grade HDEOs protect from wear just as well as "thicker" fluids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back