Lubemaster (AKA Certified Labs) Strata XL 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any experience with this oil? We use it where I work on our crane genset engines (Cummins KT50 16-Cylinder 2000HP). Almost every UOA I get back from these engines is out of spec for viscosity at 100C (too thin). The oil is not listed in the API EOLCS database. I'm currently waiting for a sample of new oil to get analyzed.

Is this oil made by Mantek? I think I found a spec sheet, but I'm not sure if if is the same product.

How many hours are on the oil when you pull the sample? What is the viscosity? What does Cummins recommend for a spec?

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Is this oil made by Mantek? I think I found a spec sheet, but I'm not sure if if is the same product.

How many hours are on the oil when you pull the sample? What is the viscosity? What does Cummins recommend for a spec?

On the tote it says certified labs, but if you look in the api EOLCS database certified labs doesn't show up, but several of their products are listed but under "NCH CORPORATION"

I try to pull a sample every 300 hours, which is also the OCI per the OEM.

Cummins recommends a 15w-40 that meets their proprietary specs Cummins CES 20078

Their oils may not be API certified. Does this particular oil claim to meet the Cummins CES 20078 spec?

300 hours seems like a pretty short drain interval for a gen-set engine on a crane...I am assuming the engines run at a fairly steady load for at least a shift at a time? Can you share one of the UOA's?

When you review a UOA, you should be taking all things into account as a whole, and not focusing on one single characteristic.

If the vis is only slighty out of spec, and the wear metals all look decent, I'd not worry about it. If the lube is way thin, and the wear metals are being affected, then it's time to consider shorter OCIs or a different lube.

Last edited:
Here is a UOA. Loads on a crane genset vary wildly, its a true torture test. Every time the a crane lifts a container the genset will go from something like 10% capacity to 90%.

0561_001.jpg

Also here is all the info on the oil, the manufacturer doesn't have a PDS.
Engine%252520Oil%252520Label.jpg

Last edited:
I can barely read your UOA. Looks like the second to last UOA had the viscosity at 7.5 CST??! My first thought was massive fuel dilution, but I can't read that number on the report.

Your most recent report looks fine to me. Wear metals are low, and the viscosity is just within the SAE 30 range. There is a little fuel in the oil, but it's not excessive.

What bothers me is the fuel dilution from last July's sample. Did you ever find a root cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back