Is peeling window tint repairable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The window tint on my car is starting to peel on the small side windows and on the rear hatch glass. Passenger and driver`s windows are still fine. Is there a way to either "stop" it from peeling any further,or actually repair and restick the peeled portions?
bijz3o.jpg

Subscribed to this thread. I have similar problem with the tint on rear window. The place I had my window tinted went under.

No way to fix in my opinion. When it happened to me I cut out the bad portion so it wouldn't continue to peel. I eventually go a new one. My new place has a lifetime garantee against it.

Nope, no way to stop it or 'fix' it. Gotta have it redone.

Save yourself some cash and strip the old tint yourself - that way you can be sure the rear window defrost lines don't get destroyed. Park it so the back window faces the sun, spray with glass cleaner spiked with ammonia & open up a big black garbage bag to stick against it for a couple hours. Should peel off without too much drama.

I had my Golf tinted in MD (35% all around) and needed the rear window redone due to several sand-like inclusions under the tint. [censored] job by the jerkwad what did it means I now have two inoperable defrost lines.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Subscribed to this thread. I have similar problem with the tint on rear window. The place I had my window tinted went under.

Down here those places change hands very quickly..I had my car done back in 2005 and the place is on it's 5TH owner.

BTW there is no such thing as a lifetime guarantee as you do not have to pay for the tint but you have to pay for the labor..It really down not matter anyway because by the time the tint messes up the tinting place will have gone belly up.

The tint on the back of my car is peeling at the corners and I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get bad until I have money to get it redone.

You cannot stop this process.

My 1996 Avalon had this same issue on the rear window glass. It came off in sheets. The glue was still on, making a mess, and my mechanic knew this window tint place that took the glue off and made the window look new and nice for $60.00. The rear defogger still works too.

I will clean the window myself from now on the inside; I just say to the car wash "Por favor, no toca la ventana externa y detras." [Please do not tough the exterior rear window]

I might want to re-tint it someday. As for new glass, Safelight said an unelectrified pane was about $200.00 as I recall and an electrified one, the lady said I did not even want to know.

But cleaning that glass up cured my panes for now.

If you have the warranty card, the warranty is honored at any dealer nationwide.

I've heard that sometimes they won't cover the labor for the removal of the old film, but parts + labor for the new film is covered.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
If you have the warranty card, the warranty is honored at any dealer nationwide.

...assuming it was done at a nationwide dealer.

My tint was done by a shop whose employees were contractors - that is, I had to arrange to have the guy who did it fix any problems. If he wasn't available (and he wasn't for my rear window retint) I had to pay labor to the guy who did redo it.

Seems that many tint shops, while they can and often do acceptable work, have high turnover rates of employees and often change ownership or management frequently.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: The Critic

...assuming it was done at a nationwide dealer.

My tint was done by a shop whose employees were contractors - that is, I had to arrange to have the guy who did it fix any problems. If he wasn't available (and he wasn't for my rear window retint) I had to pay labor to the guy who did redo it.

Seems that many tint shops, while they can and often do acceptable work, have high turnover rates of employees and often change ownership or management frequently.

If you received a warranty card for the film, the warranty is honored at any dealer nationwide. It does not matter if your original tinter went out of business; as long as your original tinter was an authorized dealer for the film that he sold, you will be fine.

Yep, only option would be to have it redone......but be very careful. I've heard of some rear window horror stories....some shops will simply break the window and have their insurance chalk up the cost and have a brand new window installed LOL.....since it can be a pain to get the tint off the rear defroster lines....

But the garbage bag+sun+garbage bag option sounds like a big winner! Not many places don't have this patience though I'm guessing....lol. Since they are paid by the hour, and each customer is charged "per the car".....at least around here anyways, you tell them what kind of car it is, and they give you a price. For my Kia's I was quoted $100 for front back and rear passenger windows + rear "defroster" window...

My new car does not have defroster lines in the rear though
smile.gif
Still the same OEM Chrysler pentastar glass too
smile.gif

The easiest way to remove old tint is with heat. Either:

1) Use a heat gun to heat the outside of the glass while slowly peeling the tint. If you're doing this on the rear glass of a sedan, then you'll obviously need two people -- one to hold the heatgun and one to peel.

2) Leave the car outside on a hot day for a couple of hours, then close all the windows and turn on the heater. Leave on for 15 minutes, then slowly peel the tint away.

No matter which way you do, though, you must peele SLOWLY. Tint is made up of multiple layers and if you go too fast you'll tear it and separate the layers.

After you're done, use nail polish remover (acetone) to remove the adhesive on the glass

I've done #1; it was very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back