Hair Cuts????

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is a hair stylest, she has always cut my hair and all kids and grandchildren.
I would like to mention that she has a pair of scissors that cost over $300.00 !!!
She wouldn't tell me exactly but said they were of a lower quality!! She said she had considered some that cost over $1,000!!!!! Expensive ones carry a lifetime resharpening at no cost. Her's included.
Upon close inspection, I noticed what looked like grind marks along the cutting edge--thing is there are matching marks (grooves) along the mating edge. They form a circle to cut individual hair.
This is to prevent hair from sliding along the edge.
OH--she has never charged for family haircuts!!

yup. my grandpa has a business sharpening and selling those scissors. clippers too. he drives around this part of the state and nearby other states in his dodge sprinter. neat little setup he has in that thing. makes good money too

Last edited:
I bought a clipper worth $25 and made my money back after the first clip... my boys get the clip too, I feel sorry for the barber but I gotta save the money... #3 for us.

I've been saving money this year by going without; haven't cut yet in 2011. I'll see if I can go back to my old look, of hair down to my lower back. Not sure the genetics will still be in my favor though.

Several years ago, I bought an Oster Classic 76 hair clipper for $115. This is a professional-quality set of clippers. I can't imagine how scissors could cost more than clippers.

Well, this explains why all my former attempts at cutting my own hair--with scissors--have been abject failures. Never knew the tricksters had special scissors! Thanks for the info.

Very fascinating. Learn something new everyday here!

A Google search shows that many are made in Japan. This model retails for $600! And we complain about Snap 0n prices!
AX_sm2.png

As a Side Note, When I was young in the old country there used to be an old jewish man that showed up once a month and would sharpen all your knives and scissors in your home.

My grandfather never used his services but a lot of our neighbours did. Apparently he was very good at it.

Originally Posted By: css9450
I've been saving money this year by going without; haven't cut yet in 2011. I'll see if I can go back to my old look, of hair down to my lower back. Not sure the genetics will still be in my favor though.

Pretty sure it won't get back to it's former glory, I can't get mine below shoulder length these days.

My son and I use my $20 electric razor and get a nice short buzz. Pays for itself after the first cut.

The girls though.. they go to someone more practiced at cutting hair than I... grins

I got a free pair of clippers a renter left in the house about 10 years ago. Used them ever since. Probably saved me thousands even though he trashed the house.

Didn't know scissors could cost so much....must work extremely well and be very comfortable.
As for my haircuts? I purchased an inexpensive pair of electric clippers. Been buzzing my own hair for well over a year now....and I've been told it looks good on me. Saves me loads of money and feels good after I'm done (almost like shaving).

I have some electric "clippers"? that i bought at Chinamart.so far,I've cut my hair at least 50 times with it.Just the 1/2" attachment all over and I'm done.

Never thought of cutting my own hair...I pay $15 cash to a girl (ex hair stylist with young kids) who works out of her basement.

I like talking with her and she has a nice rack, so $15 is money well spent.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Never thought of cutting my own hair...I pay $15 cash to a girl (ex hair stylist with young kids) who works out of her basement.

I like talking with her and she has a nice rack, so $15 is money well spent.

I'm like you. I go to a pretty young girl, washes my hair (with an occasional rack knock to the head), cuts and styles. Plus the conversation is very good. $15 but I tip her well.

Im in cosmetology business for 8 years now. I do beleive your wife have those 300 dollar worth of tool, you pay for brand name and quality tool. I have a 500 dollar just a drill tool, but I use it for 8 year and no problem, some cheaper brand fail at 3 year mark. So when it come to cosmetology you gotta buy a best tool as possible, cause if your tool fail, you loose your customer to some body else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back