napa gold vs napa platinum vs honda oem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi eveyone. i have a question. i have honda civic lx 2000 with 237k on odometer. i add some schaeffer's 7000 supreme synthetic plus 10w-30 oil. what would be recommended oil filter with synthetic oil? i heard that napa gold is good oil filter for synthetic oil, i went to napa store and i saw a new napa platinum oil filter for synthetic oil, but they didn't have it, it was only advertise on napa magazine(coupon) or should i buy a honda oem oil filter instead of those two napa gold/platinum? thanks....

What is you anticipated OCI ?

Not knowing the your OCI.... and guessing between 6 and 7K....I would recommend a Purolator PureOne....The PureOne is an excellent mid-tier filter....& Puro has a great rebate going on right now (www.pureoil.com)....so your net cost would be in the $3 to $4 area after rebate.

IMO.....the Napa Platinum would be overkill for the oil your using.

Heck, combine the Puro Metal Wars MIR with an AAP discount code, and you can buy P1s all day long for a little over a dollar after MIR.
Good filter dirt cheap.
We've owned Hondas for more than thirty years now, and they aren't at all picky about oil filters or oil.

I have to agree, though I am one on this site that does not like P1's that much, I do think it is good for your app. for the money.

The OEM honda is not necessary unless you can get it for the same price as the Napa Gold, then I would contemplate it. The Platinum is Top of the line (at least seems to be) and would only be worth it if you left it on for a couple of 6k intervals.

I vote for the Napa Gold out of the filters you mentioned.
Puro 1 because of the deal.
And Heck, you have 237k what have you been using? maybe you should be telling us what you have used!

Oil filter is not that critical, air filter is much more importance. Either Napa Gold or Purolator PureOne or Honda OEM oil filter will be good for 8-10k OCI, buy whichever is cheapest.

Choosing between the Gold and Platinum will depend on how long you're planning on using that filter, and driving habbits.

Personally with that milage, I'd save a few bucks and go for the Gold, unless you're running it more than 10-12k or one year... JMHO

i was using/trying all kinds of synthetic oils, testing them by my self, but most of them what they say on a bottle is pure balooney, eg: i bout some mobile 1 ep 10w-30 and say that the oil will last around 15k, to me not truth. i did oil change, and i add some engine flush before that to clean up engine, i than i add this oil but get dirty around 4,500k miles. my car is not burning oil, only if the oil is completly black they yes what is normal. oil that i try; penziol ultra hyper, castrol edge -old formula, castrol synthec,super tech synthetic, castrol hm old formula,mobil 1 hm, napa synthetic, carquest synthetic, all of them last around 5k. this time i decide to try some schaeffer's synthetic plus 7000 10w-30, i heard good stories...

Originally Posted By: max45
i was using/trying all kinds of synthetic oils, testing them by my self, but most of them what they say on a bottle is pure balooney, eg: i bout some mobile 1 ep 10w-30 and say that the oil will last around 15k, to me not truth. i did oil change, and i add some engine flush before that to clean up engine, i than i add this oil but get dirty around 4,500k miles. my car is not burning oil, only if the oil is completly black they yes what is normal. oil that i try; penziol ultra hyper, castrol edge -old formula, castrol synthec,super tech synthetic, castrol hm old formula,mobil 1 hm, napa synthetic, carquest synthetic, all of them last around 5k. this time i decide to try some schaeffer's synthetic plus 7000 10w-30, i heard good stories...

Max45, the oil getting black means it is doing its job...cleaning the engine. ALL oils will turn dark at 5k in my experience. Now, when was the last time you changed the PCV valve in your vehicle. Excessive blowby could cause engine oil to get darker than usual. Do not judge an oil by how clear it is at 5k. Just put a decent filter on there and I would highly advise you to get a used oil analysis (UOA) when you change out the schaeffers. That will give you a basic picture of how your engine is wearing, if there is any fuel or coolant getting in the oil. Cost is around $25. And check the PCV valve.

So you measure how long the oil lasts by looking at it's color? Maybe oil is getting dark because it is cleaning up some leftovers from previous oils and changes. Or maybe your high mileage engine is contaminating oil more quickly now due to more blowby of contaminants...that's been my experience. Running a full synthetic for only 5000 miles seems sort of a waste to me.

Honda's oil filters are made by Fram. I have a 2008 Honda Fit, and have several brands of filters I'm trying out on the car. I compared the Honda filter to a Fram PH7317 filter, when I saw the Honda filter was made by Honeywell which is Fran's parent company. They matched. Wix makes the NAPA filter; you can buy Wix filters at O'Reilly, or Fram filters as well. Pep Boys sells Purolator and Fram, as well as their own brand Pro Line which is a Purolator filter. AutoZone carries Fram and STP filters; STP used to be Lee oil filters. Some shops carry AC Delco as well; I've used them on some older Hondas, a Rambler Classic, Toyota truck, a Nissan Pathfinder, and a Ford truck. My Ford and Toyota trucks use the same oil filter...I've used Fram, STP, NAPA, Purolator, AC Delco and Motorcraft filters on both trucks...both have never been overhauled yet. My Rambler is limited to NAPA, Fram and Purolator filters now. Wix and Fram seem to be the top filters on the market; I haven't seen Fram at NAPA stores, but some have AC Delco filters in limited supply for mostly GM cars and trucks. Fram seems to be the OEM provider for many imports.

One thing I forgot to say: before you drain your dirty oil, I recommend desludging the engine with Gunk or any other desludging chemical. This makes a huge difference; your engine will last longer. My next filter will be a Walmart filter...I think Purolator makes it. I just changed my oil and filter; this time, I used a NAPA filter to replace a Pennzoil filter on my Honda Fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back