best oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i guess this has been asked here, maybe even posted. but what is the best oil filter? i guess you have to ask what makes it the best oil filter? obviously the efficiency of the filer and filtration quality is first. but what else? im sure it also depends on your application, size of motor, forced induction, etc.. the top filters that i have seen and read about, but dont have any actual hands on proof, are amsoil, royal purples, napa platinum, k&n, mobile 1, and im sure theres others.
so all you oil filter guru's please chime in.

What is it you're looking for by trying to find the "best" oil filter? What I mean by this, is are you trying to get the maximum life out of your engine? If you use any of these oil filters you've listed, you should have a very long engine life.

I use NAPA GOLD or WIX (same filter). I like it because of it's good oil flow and filtering. It is a quality oil filter, easy to find and often on sale.

I have used DELCO Premium on my Corvette, but it was too flow restrictive. I value oil flow as much as filtration.

Synthetic is best BECAUSE:
Least restriction/highest flow
Most capacity
Filters the smallest particles

Amsoil/Mobil1/K&N are similar, Amsoil has the smallest most uniform synthetic fiber.

Fram all the way!!

Just kidding.
whistle.gif
I like NAPA, Wix, Bosch and Purolater. Depends on the sale price and/or rebate.

Best? Depends what your priorities are.

There are certainly different classes of filters (budget, premium, etc).

i guess im going for the "premium" line of filters. but not necessarily. if there is/was a cheaper one that filters/flows and lasts as long as a "premium" filter then suggest them. i do understand this is a very broad/ridiculous question to ask. im sure everyone will say whatever brand they have on their car now is best wether is a $16 royal purple oil filter or a $4 motorcraft. i have used wix before but i dont consider it "the best". why? only going by specs, price, advertisements, word of mouth, these forums etc.. but is that how you determine "the best oil filter"? i personally dont have any proof that my engine was better off with the wix filter then when i used the amsoil filter. imo, your better off spending extra and getting a preium filter like royal purples or amsoil. i feel that in this area you get what you pay for.

also a gentle reminder to OP:

best oil filter isn't gonna do jack if you ignore/disregard your ocis, or your air filter is bad (letting sand/grit into your oil), missed regular tuneups (fuel-related oil dilution), etc.

In summary, oil filter is important but oil is more important IMHO.

nothing that is celluose (paper), synthetic or glass...iam sold on stainless steel filter mesh...flow first then filtration..my philosophy..

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the vehicle in my auto-signature with 333K+ miles has been on synthetic oil and P1 filters since the first OCI and it still runs as good as new. In my pre-BITOG frame of mind, P1 was the "best" to me. Now I know about Wix, Fram XG series, Royal Purple, Amsoil, M1, K&N, etc. All of those are excellent filters to me.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
nothing that is celluose (paper), synthetic or glass...iam sold on stainless steel filter mesh...flow first then filtration..my philosophy..

where would i find info on these?

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Synthetic Filter make sense for Extended drains,or leave filter for 2 OCIs.Best filtering you will get with bypass system that uses 2 filters...
Here is thread about relatively cheap and easy to install system:
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2346057&page=1

since i have a proffered account with amsoil ive heard of their bypass system but never new anything about it. i will check out the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back