Toyota Tundra Differential Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have a question for the experts.

I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra with a Limited Slip. I just replaced the rear differential fluid with Mobil 1 a couple days ago. Now I am experiencing some slight chatter. The Mobil 1 fluid says that it is for a Limited Slip.

I just added a little extra LS additive K&W that I picked up from advance auto. So I am not sure if this clears it up.

Anyone have a problem like this? Should I just dump it and go back to conventional?

Yes, Toyota Specs GL-5. They recommend 90wt. But I can't find it. I stopped at toyota and they told me they just get theirs from Carquest. I stopped there and they don't carry any 90wt.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Most of the time, the rear diff is LIKE the OEM toyota factory LSD addictive better.

add toyota lsd bottle in their.

Even more interesting, I asked Toyota for the additive. All they had was BG. They didn't carry anything else. They didn't have the Toyota fluid either.

Use synthetic 75W90 or 80W90 GL-5 gear oil to lubricant the rear axle of your Toyota Tundra. If you have a limited slip differential, you should verify that the oil you're using contains the proper limited slip additive. If this isn't the case, you should provide the additive yourself.

On the back of the Mobil 1, synthetic quart bottle it suggests that you add the additive for Limited Slip for your particular auto/truck. I don't have Limited Slip in my 1997 T4R since it was not available back in 1997. I know that Toyota Dealerships sell the additive.....I don't know the price.

I've not experienced any noise or chatter and I've put about 1,800 miles, mostly high speed interstate driving, since I changed it out 3 weeks ago.

So straight Mobil 1, 75W-90 is what I have in the Front, Rear Differentials as well as the Transfer Case. I have a spare quart of Mobil 1, synthetic 75W-140 that I plan to use for any top offs.....especially for the rear differential.

It is a common issue on the new (2005+) Tacomas as well. Newer Yota's clutch-pack LSD seem not to like synthetic fluid, M1 in particular.

Before someone stones me, check out toyotanation.com. There are several threads there addressing this issue. Our best guess on TN was that clutch material itself was different from prior year LSDs. Synthetic gear oil worked for some, but not for the great majority of posters. Some added as many as two full tubes of modifier.

OP--add a full tube of LSD modifier. Do several tight figure 8s in the parking lot to work it in.
If this does not fix it, then you'll have to switch to dino gear oil.

I also have a 2006 Toyota Tundra 4WD Double Cab Limited with LSD. Like you, I installed 75W-90 synthetic Amsoil SVG, and I experienced some chatter. This is despite the fact that Amsoil also contains the required additive. In my case, it wasn't enough, so I purchased the extra LSD additive from Amsoil. Problem solved. Based on my experience plus the others, I think this is pretty much a normal situation. Use Mobil 75W-90 with confidence, but add the additive.

The Tundra owner's manual states that conventional 75w90 should be used in the rear axle with LSD, and synthetic 75w140 in rear axles with open differential. Toyota is pretty specific with their terms.

Problem solved. I drained the Mobil 1. I have to admit, it was like watching money going down the toilet. I replaced it with Pennzoil Gearplus 80w-90 and a tube and a half of Kendall Limited slip additive. All the chatter is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back