Hi I wonder how much exactlly ZDDP on these oil, thanks you

Mobil 1 High Miles 10w30
Rotella T6 5w40
Rotella T5 10w30
Rotella 15w40
Castrol GTX High Miles 10w30
Valvoline MaxLife 10w30
Pennzoil high miles 10w30

Any SM or SN 30-weight is limited to 800ppm of Phos.
SJ and SL 30-weights are allowed 1000ppm.
M1 HM 10w30 is SL-rated and has 1000ppm.
RT6 5w40 has 1200ppm.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
SJ and SL 30-weights are allowed 1000ppm.
M1 HM 10w30 is SL-rated and has 1000ppm.
RT6 5w40 has 1200ppm.

thanks ! that t6 sure have high zddp.

RT6 5w40 has 1200ppm.

But RT6 is SM rated (?)

RT6 is not a 30 weight oil.

The zddp limit of 800 only applies to "energy conserving" and now "resource conserving" oils, which are all 30 weight or under.

From a recent similar post:

3 UOAs I did earlier this year showed Zinc levels at:

Rotella T 10W-30 1193
Rotella 15W-40 1145
Rotella 15W-40 1051

I still can't decide if I should worry about the ZDDP drop in oils. I know GM V8s have not had the best wear numbers with M1 5w30 so I'm running some tests on my LS1. First test is a UOA on my current fill 5.5qts M1 1qt M1 15w50 and ZDDP Maxx at 5k miles. I then have three runs of 5w30 with a mix of 0w40 and a very small dose of ZDDP Maxx. Each blend will be slightly thinner on all SM oils and then a straight 5w30 SM run and then I'll try the new M1 5w30 SN. My goal is to find out if that 12cst recommendation for LS motors is really true or if it really is about elevated ZDDP levels and then how SM compares to SN.

Originally Posted By: RD400
RT6 5w40 has 1200ppm.

But RT6 is SM rated (?)

It can do that because 40-weights don't have limits on Phosphorous, even in SM or SN specs.

Originally Posted By: Torrid
I still can't decide if I should worry about the ZDDP drop in oils. I know GM V8s have not had the best wear numbers with M1 5w30 so I'm running some tests on my LS1. First test is a UOA on my current fill 5.5qts M1 1qt M1 15w50 and ZDDP Maxx at 5k miles. I then have three runs of 5w30 with a mix of 0w40 and a very small dose of ZDDP Maxx. Each blend will be slightly thinner on all SM oils and then a straight 5w30 SM run and then I'll try the new M1 5w30 SN. My goal is to find out if that 12cst recommendation for LS motors is really true or if it really is about elevated ZDDP levels and then how SM compares to SN.

In an LS1, I think the SL oil limit of 1000ppm is safe. I ran my LS1 on M1 5w30 since it was new, and kept using it even after the change to SM. I changed over to M1 HM 5w30 last year after joining BITOG and finding out that SM oils had lower zddp. Now I'm running Redline 5w30 in it, but that is not because I was dissatisfied with M1. I just wanted to try something different. The engine still runs great and consumes very little oil at 164K miles, and after a lot of running on race tracks.

Many people on the GM websites advocate German Castrol, which is where the 12cSt number comes in. Some say the thicker oil helps with piston slap, others don't. One of the oil mixes that is on my list to try is M1 0w40/0w30. These two can be blended to get the target 12cSt KV100, but will have a higher VI than the vaunted GC.

I'd be more than happy to see M1 5w30 SN to have great wear numbers. Unfortunately there is not hard evidence on stock valvetrain wear. The majority of the LS1 UOAs on the GTO forums are to monitor new cams. I've seen failures on different brands of 5w30 in these cars, but everyone I've seen has had a cam at the very least. Of those every failure was using an SM oil and no additives. One was running M1 0w40 but had a high lift with very stiff springs. I'm just street tuned to dial in fuel and spark and even still have stock manifolds and exhaust.

Many people on the GM websites advocate German Castrol, which is where the 12cSt number comes in. Some say the thicker oil helps with piston slap, others don't. One of the oil mixes that is on my list to try is M1 0w40/0w30. These two can be blended to get the target 12cSt KV100, but will have a higher VI than the vaunted GC.

We (LSx owners) all know the much vaunted 12 cSt number (WHY I mix the two Red Line grades), BUT, has anyone ever come up with a matching 'magic' HTHS value for our engine group (stock internals, of course)??!!
21.gif

I never heard lsx engine need extra zddp. Coming from ls1 lt1 owner. Never have problem with any oil as long it's 5w30. my all time favor oil choice for my preview ls1 is gc 0w30.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

We (LSx owners) all know the much vaunted 12 cSt number (WHY I mix the two Red Line grades), BUT, has anyone ever come up with a matching 'magic' HTHS value for our engine group (stock internals, of course)??!!
21.gif

I tend to think that since GM specs 5w30 for the LSx engines, they're OK with the API min HTHS of 2.9cP. But since I like to have some margin, I would add 10% to that to allow for shear as an oil ages, and end up with 3.2 for a new oil. Regular M1 5w30 I think is 3.1, so maybe it's close enough. But M1 HM 5w30 is 3.3, so would be good to go. And then there is Redline 5w30 at 3.8, probably way more film thickness than the engine needs.

I really like use 5w40 t6 for my 4.0L jeep grand cherokee, since it have alot zddp, but I like stick with factory recomment 10w30, so T5 10w30 or Mobil 1 HM 10w30 oil filter will be FL1A motocraft . Wat u guy think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back