I want to get away from MOCO lubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning to use Delo 15-40 dino in the oil tank and the primary,and full syn 75W-90 in the 5sp tranny of the '93, 883cc Sporty. They will be changed annually.(<3K miles). I just gotta get adequate lube juice at Wally World. Would adding STP to the motor oil bring the viscosity to 20-50 specs. I would think the added ZDDP would help along with the thickness would help in 95-100F heat city riding. Looking for opinions. Thanks.

If you want the best go with Mobil-1 V-Twin 20W50. If you want to cheap out go with Valvoline VR1 in the same weight. Either way there are better places to shop than Mao-Mart.

Yeah VR1 and Kendall GT1 have turned in some good UOA's. And they are cheaper than the delo plus the STP.

Kendall is a syn blend which is nice, has enough ZDDP. It just doesnt have as high of a TBN as VR1, but around here its under 3 bucks a quart.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Sporty tranny & primary share a sump (at least that's how it was on the '07 883C my kid had) so we ran Formula+ in it, which is a straight 50W mineral oil. Worked great, shifted fine, no problems at all for about $7/qt. If I were trying to avoid Moco oils I'd run a 50W syn in there, or a good syn 20W-50.

As for the engine, VR-1 20W-50 dino will serve you well and can be had routinely for $2.79/qt on sale at Auto Zone, Advance Auto, O'Reilley's, etc. It's the right viscosity and UOA's are showing lower wear numbers from it than both M1-VT and Syn3 in Harleys. (Do a search for "VR-1" in the m/c UOA forum.)

Valvoline VR1 Racing in 20W-50 flavor for the crankcase and shared primary/transmission.

For Sportsters: DO NOT use gear oil in the transmission, as it shares the fluid with the primary chaincase. Gear oil is not always friendly to yellow metals (copper, brass, etc) and the stator (copper windings) is behind the compensating sprocket in the primary chaincase.

I would like to personally recommend a 20W-50 in the crankcase, especially considering the age of the bike.

I would use the VR-1 oil for the motor, and the regular Valvoline 20-/50 mc oil for the trans.My reason for that is the racing oil is not recommended for the trans, like the mc oil is.

We've been using the VR1 in three Sportster crankcase and transmissions for about two years now. Maybe too soon to tell but so far, so good.

But, a regular motor oil should work just fine. Wouldn't need to be the VR1. HD Formula+ is nothing more than a 50 wt mineral oil with little or no additives so a regular motor oil should be an improvement as long as the clutch is happy with it.

Last edited:
Schaeffer's new #707 20W-50 v-twin motorcycle oil is interesting.

Supreme Synthetic Plus V-Twin Racing Oil is highly advanced premium quality multigrade para-synthetic, high zinc containing 4 stroke racing engine oil that is formulated to meet the lubrication demands of V-Twin engines. Supreme Synthetic Plus V-Twin Racing Oil can also be used in those motorcycles that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system.

Supreme Synthetic Plus V-Twin Racing Oil is recommended for use in all 4-cycle air-cooled or water-cooled motorcycle and ATV engines.

Supreme Synthetic Plus V-Twin Racing Oil meets and exceeds the following specifications and manufacturers’ requirements: API Service Classification SN, Harley-Davidson® V-Twin specifications and JASO (T903) MA-2 specifications
http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/TD Sheets/707.pdf

Many motorcycles of all brands have run fine on #705, but a couple of years ago the technical data sheet for 705 said that it was not good for wet clutches. The current data sheet says that it is fine with wet clutches. In that case, why 707??? Of course, the formulations for #705 and all the other oils are changed every time the API specs change, and maybe at other times.

I just sent the sample away for my S9000 5w-50 in my SV650, to see how it handles the shearing since they recommend it for shared sump applications. hopefully results will be here soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back