Overpriced oil change services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a couple prices from Jiffy Lube like places just for fun, I couldn't belive the prices. These prices are for 6 qts of FULL SYNTHETIC and a filter:

Valvoline Instant Oil CHange: $96
Walmart: $65
Jiffy Lube: $75
Tuffy: $60
Big O: $45
Tires Plus: $65

I think the prices are crazy, dont you guys?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Yea and what kind of filter? an generic off the boat china filter?

VIOC had Puro Classics, thats all I know

Skip the quick lubes they rip you off. I got 7 quarts of of Napa SYN for $23.66 and a P1 oil filter for roughly $2.40 with discounts and all. So a full synthetic oil change and knowing it was done right cost me $25.96.

Just a note, I went to NTB for a synthetic oil change and when I left I found out they never even did it. The same old filter was on and the oil was blacker than blacker. Did they think honestly that I wouldn't check it. I went back and watched them change it in front of me and the manager gave me 5 free synthetic oil changes which I denied and just never went back. Sorry NTB you lost a customer. They used Valvoline SYN and a Pennzoil oil filter.

Ehh kind of I suppose.

Just using in store prices:
$6 a quart x 6 quarts = $36
$4 filter = $40
$13 labor/hr = $53

The $96 yeah is outrages, but I'd say $60-$70 at a quick lube shop for synthetic is a fair price considering their expenses.

But you should do what I do and just buy oil when its on sale or rebates and change yourself and save a lot of cash.

No not really, they are probably making a few bucks off each one when you add up the people working their and other overhead costs like the building and insurance.

Just to do it yourself would cost about $40, say if you buy the Castrol Edge deal at advanced for $30+ a quart which is like what $7 retail? And you don't have thousands in overhead each month.

So who here has run a shop and knows how much overhead costs?

Last edited:
Not really depending on the price of the oil. Say $7 a qt for full synthetic times 6 qts is $42. So if they check over your vehicle for you as well doesnt seem too bad. The valvoline seems high but the rest seem in line to me. These places have employees and electric bills to pay. Of course it would be cheaper to do it yourself and maybe spend the extra money on the cold beverage of your choice

Im thinking some of those prices are not bad depending on what you get. The big o for $40? not bad to me. Not that I would pay someone to do it but its not a bad price to me.

Just ordered 200 Gallons of Kendall HDEO Dino oil for the shop today, 3 grand. This is versus the 200 gallons 6 months ago that cost 2200. Price gouging at its finest. Oil prices are going to go up no matter what we do, expect quicky lubes to be charging 40+ for dino/blend changes soon.

I got 6 cases of Mobil 1 5w30 for $26 a piece back when Costco had that oil sale deal. I bought out all the non Ecore AC Delco PF46s I could find in the area randomly hitting stores, averaging around $4 a filter. The GTO takes 6.5qts so a change is only costing me around $33 with synthetic. It is really hard to justify one of those places especially when I'm usually looking for an excuse to pick up some tools and wrench on the car anyway.

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Skip the quick lubes they rip you off. I got 7 quarts of of Napa SYN for $23.66 and a P1 oil filter for roughly $2.40 with discounts and all. So a full synthetic oil change and knowing it was done right cost me $25.96.

Just a note, I went to NTB for a synthetic oil change and when I left I found out they never even did it. The same old filter was on and the oil was blacker than blacker. Did they think honestly that I wouldn't check it. I went back and watched them change it in front of me and the manager gave me 5 free synthetic oil changes which I denied and just never went back. Sorry NTB you lost a customer. They used Valvoline SYN and a Pennzoil oil filter.

You should have asked for the quarts of synthetic and 5 filters to take home! jk lol

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa

You should have asked for the quarts of synthetic and 5 filters to take home! jk lol

LOL! That would of been nice!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Im thinking some of those prices are not bad depending on what you get. The big o for $40? not bad to me. Not that I would pay someone to do it but its not a bad price to me.

Big o's not to bad, but I dont like quick lube places. I hear to many stories about the work not acually getting done (cough cough...Jiffy Lube)

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
No not really, they are probably making a few bucks off each one when you add up the people working their and other overhead costs like the building and insurance.

Just to do it yourself would cost about $40, say if you buy the Castrol Edge deal at advanced for $30+ a quart which is like what $7 retail? And you don't have thousands in overhead each month.

So who here has run a shop and knows how much overhead costs?

insurance is roughly $1,500 to $2,500 a mo depending on how much business you are doing, location and what services yo are performing, lease on building is anywhere
from $3k a mo to $5k a mo, then wages cost of product and other misc. costs add up, i've run a lube shop for awhile now and you are luck to turn $3K a mo. profit.

Last edited:
i buy my stuff online and go to my local dealership that charges $12-14 for the service. hard to beat that. and they wash my car for that!!

Unless you see them putting the oil and filter in I'd suggest you never use them! For 1 the price is outrageous. Here in pA it runs about $30.00 but you can put the best recommended filter and oil for about $27.00 yourself and KNOW whats in there.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987

Valvoline Instant Oil CHange: $96
Walmart: $65
Jiffy Lube: $75
Tuffy: $60
Big O: $45
Tires Plus: $65

I think the prices are crazy, dont you guys?

Mercedes service department: $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back