Valvoline Motorcycle Oil 20w-50 4 Stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lost1
Originally Posted By: Tundragod
Originally Posted By: Jjones
Right now auto zone has $2 off all motorcycle oil.

I stopped by my local AZ last week and they are $4.99. Must be specific stores..........

First time I bought VR1 it was $4.79/qt at O'Reilley's, but I felt it was worth it and I needed it that weekend for an oil change. 2 weeks later AZ had it for $2.79/qt so I bought 4 more quarts for the next change. If you keep an eye out AZ, O'Reilley's, Advance Auto, etc. will put it on sale & that's when you stock up on it...
wink.gif

I will keep my eye out for a sale on this oil then for my next oil change...

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Originally Posted By: grampi
Ok thanks for the reply. I know its only $3.99qt at the local AutoZone. I was gonna go with Mobile 1 V-Twin Full Syn 20w-50 but its $10 a quart. The Valvoline isn't synthetic but on a 3,000 mile or less oil change I figure it should be fine. I been told not to waste my money on synthetic if I change at 3,000 miles or less.

I would stay away from the M1 V-twin oil. I've heard it actually thickens with use, basically turing into sludge. Not good.

Thanks for that info. I will stay away from it.

Consider this I've been using M1 VT for many years on several of my Harleys and the engine look great and the oil never turned to "sludge". Buy with confidence and don't be swayed by " I heard it from my cousins brother who heard it from a man with a wooden leg related to my mothers long lost distant cousin etc" This also pertains to the formula change rumor because the bottle changed color and label. Show proof or its just worthless hot internet air.

If thats the non synth valvoline, yes, i used it in my last bike. It was a triumph 900 and it dragged the performance down so badly i drained it within a few days and put M1 back in. It may not be the same in all bikes, I dunno. But in mine it felt like i lost a considerable amount of power and i wasn't enjoying the bike.

Ok thanks for the reply. I know its only $3.99qt at the local AutoZone. I was gonna go with Mobile 1 V-Twin Full Syn 20w-50 but its $10 a quart. The Valvoline isn't synthetic but on a 3,000 mile or less oil change I figure it should be fine. I been told not to waste my money on synthetic if I change at 3,000 miles or less.

Neither is mobil. In my yamaha forum the guys seem to be having good results with the synth rotella. However I use amsoil v-twin 20w-50 in my 1100 road star and if you know anything about these bikes you know the valvetrain is very loud. I noticed an immediate decrease in the volume of the tappity-tap-tap and the cooling fins seem to not be as hot. I can touch them barehanded after a long ride whereas itwas substantially warmer beforethe oil change forget mobil v-twin oil. It's labelled synthetic but it's not

In the USA, hydrocracked GrpIII oils can be classified as synthetic. The performance difference between GrpIII and PAO Grp IV oils is very small and in a mild twin engine you wont see much of a difference. Afterall, non syn VR1 Valvoline seems to outperform most syn oils in Harley V twin cam engines.

Some oils just run more quiet than others. Often people notice some engines running Pennzoil platinum in their cars notice they are running louder, but the UOA come back great.

If UOA's prove or make valid points then wouldn't it be logical to provide sound measurements involving increased or decreased noises? Wouldn't a dyno test prove performance loss or gain?

My point is if you want to prove an oil is better because of some factor you find relevant to report? Shouldn't they all have a measurement other then opinion involved?

It sounds better, it runs better. Based on your word?

If an oil makes a noticable difference in the sound transmitted from a running engine to the point people say things like it sounded like tins cans rolling down the street behind a just married car then I used Super Duper Slayer Syn and it was like floating in the clouds, it was serene and I took a nap.

These analogies are absurd.

I would buy slight, seemed a little better, appeared a touch quieter, so on.....

If oil makes that much of a dramatic difference? Your engine must be a piece of junk inside wating for a rebuild.

I buy shifting improvements, I have experienced that.

But quieter and faster and better mileage? Dramatic improvement wise?

Where's the sound level test, where's the dyno stats, where's the facts?

What would a sound measurement prove exactly anyway? It makes more or less as measured. Which begs? Why then? What exactly is the noise being heard or no longer heard anyway?

Sorry, it sounded like ball bearings bouncing around in the heads and then I tried this stuff and it was silky smooth is just too much to believe and almost hysterical at that.... I don't care if a 100 people all agree it is right, I can't buy it.

So has the Kendall GT1 20w50. Similar but adds titanium, and has a lower TBN, but if I get a HD its going to be my oil of choice. 2.99 a quart everyday at one store locally.

Originally Posted By: Chrlkres

Sorry, it sounded like ball bearings bouncing around in the heads and then I tried this stuff and it was silky smooth is just too much to believe and almost hysterical at that.... I don't care if a 100 people all agree it is right, I can't buy it.

New oil CAN have a profound effect on the sound of some motorcycle engines. For instance, I just helped a friend with scheduled maintenance on a BMW R1150RT that had about 70,000 miles on it. The old oil that we replaced probably had around 7,000 miles on it and was the dino BMW 20w-50 oil. Suffice it to say, it was worn out. . very black and had sheared down in grade or two.

I talked the owner into trying the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50; on the first start-up the change in sound and smoothness was incredible, but I attribute that change to putting new oil in, not because it was M1VT necessarily. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back