Synthetic Dex-VI for 2008 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. Im going to be doing a transmission fluid exchange on my newer Chevy. I'v used the Valvoline Maxlife DEX/MERC ATF
p37.png
in the past on my 93, and 99 Chevys, and it seems to work good. They both have the 4L60E tranny, as well as my 08 Chevy. The 08 calls for Dexron VI specifically.
I would like to get it through Advance Auto, (to use the codes), but they don't carry the regular Valvoline Dex-VI synthetic
p36.png
online. At least I can't find it there.
Anyways, would the Maxlife be good stuff to use?
My truck has about 55K miles on it now. Planning on doing a pan drop, filter change, and fluids exchange.
Or if anyone knows the part number to the Valvoline Dex-VI at AA, that would be helpful, too. Thanks all.

Oh, 1 more thing - My transfer case also calls for Dex-VI. Any suggestions? MaxLife there ok, too? Thanks again.

As I understand it, Dex VI is a major improvement over Dex III (Maxlife) and is backwards compatible. I'd go with the Valvoline Dex VI syn over maxlife for that transmission.

Edit: Didn't realize Maxlife Dex/Merc was usable in Dex VI applications. Huh. It's probably fine, I'd think. That seems to be everyone's "go to" ATF for American vehicles.

Last edited:
Walmart has a Supertech Dexron VI at a cheaper price and is just as good. Shop around before you go with Valvoline. There are some other synthetics out there that are maybe cheaper.

I really want too. The Maxlife says it meets Dex-VI requirements. Is it a full synthetic? Does it just have more additives than the regular Valvoline Dex-VI synthetic?
If I go through the AA site, with the coupon codes, I can get the gallon jugs of the Maxlife for $10.85. About $2.71/quart. That's why Im leaning that way. And I could just have one kind of ATF in the garage, too. What do ya think?

Last edited:
Maxlife ATF is full synthetic. It's thin like Dex-VI, so it meets the viscosity specifications. Conjecture warning: I believe that Maxlife's add package is "close enough" to Dex-VI that it will work.

Note: I don't know of anybody who's using Maxlife instead of Dex-VI. I do know that Maxlife is doing a good job in both my Buick and Honda.

AA has castrol Dex VI. I caught some on sale after coupon for $2.20 a quart. They might have another sale...

I'm using the Valvoline Dex6 in my Buick and it works fine. My buddy did his Regal GS and used Supertech Dex6. I would say go with any Dex6. I believe that any Dex6 has to be at least syn-blend.

Last edited:
One kind of ATF in garage for GMC would be D6 and it is backwards compatible with previous version. It is the only Dexron licensed by GMC. All D3 products are not licensed by GMC and quality can vary greatly.

Valvoline's site says Maxlife ATF is synthetic, and is recommended to be used where Dex-VI is spec'd. The question remains...... Would you use it, in your 08 pickup? Why, or why not? Thanks

Maxlife ATF

Last edited:
It says use DEXRON-VI. Unless Valvoline can PROVE that the maxlife product has been FULLY tested and approved to at least that performance level (with licence) then forget it and purchase one of the 100+ properly tested and approved DEXRON-VI products.

Where can I buy, a good, synthetic, Dex-VI ATF, at a decent price? I hate giving $8/qt+ when I need 15 or 16 quarts.

Dexron-VI requires a syn-blend or better base oil to meet GM's performance specs, plus the other specs are high. I'd use the Dex-VI over a full syn Dex-III.

Right get this clear. There is no DEXRON(R)-III!

The only licensed and and approved ATFs under the DEXRON(R) brand are those that meet DEXRON(R)-VI requirements and carry the appropriate approval. Any others that cannot provide an approval and a license number are not valid and therefore cannot make any DEXRON(R) approval claim, actual or implied.

Where can I buy, a good, synthetic, Dex-VI ATF, at a decent price? I hate giving $8/qt+ when I need 15 or 16 quarts.

There is no such product as "synthetic Dexron VI" and that's why the seemingly off-the-point answers. All GM licensed Dex VI's are equal. Just shop online or at your favorite store for the cheapest one with a GM license number on the label.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kasedian
33.gif

Use Maxlife ATF... It is a full syn and states it works in Dex-VI applications(If you do not believe me or the bottle, call the company). Many posters here have used it for many years and it works very well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back