NAPA Silver vs NAPA ProSelect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced a couple of air filters and a cabin air filter yesterday and noticed my local NAPA store was really pushing their ProSelect line over the Silver line and basically ignoring the Gold line totally. I compared a ProSelect (all they had in stock) cabin filter against the Gold I was replacing and could not visibly tell any difference. They were both made in Poland and looked and felt identical. This filter was in a 2006 Acura TSX I have always used NAPA Gold oil filters and usually NAPA Silver air filters in the past and was a little surprised at the strong suggestions to use the ProSelect line now.

I did go to NAPA's site and attempted to do a comparison but the only specs I could get were on the ProSelect Line. Anything dealing with Gold or Silver indicated "no data available".

I did look back a few pages and did not see a thread on this, if I missed it I apologize. Thanks for any input.

must've been a sale promotion or spiff for the silver or pro

I'm not up to date on the napa filters monickers, I do know they're made by Wix and you'll be fine with any of them.. but I'd go for the gold myself.

I usually go for the Napa Gold (or CarQuest Blue) air filter's as well, but I did use a CQ Red filter in our Malibu in the previous cycle. It's in the same league as the Napa Silver or ProSelect, and my 7,900 mile UOA showed an excellent silicon reading.

FWIW, the Napa Gold I placed in service afterwards had more media than the CQ Red, and the media itself was different. I don't know how much more effective they are at trapping dirt, but I would imagine there is a difference. At the very least, it should hold more dirt than the cheaper lines.

With that said, I had 41k on that Red filter and it wasn't clogged by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back