Pennzoil High Mileage or Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna change the oil in my '88 Dodge Pick-Up in the next few days and I was wondering which oil would be best Pennzoil High Mileage or Pennzoil Platinum? I'm a Pennzoil freak so I already know the brand but I'm not sure if I need to stick with the HM or switch to the synthetic although I'm not sure if it will cause the gaskets to leak with it being a older truck like most people say.

How many miles on your truck? Are you leaking oil at all with Pennzoil High Mileage now? If Pennzoil High Mileage is working well for you now I see no reason to use PP , if you want to extend your oci's or clean the motor though I say give PP a go.

I have read in many places that if you use HM oil you would want to stick with HM oil. Due to the fact it swells oils seals so they don't leak. If you go back to a syn or conventional you may get leaks due to the seals shrinking back. Again I have heard this many times from people on the street, dealers and people who have experienced this. Just my 2 cents.... Good luck....

Hi guys
I got some Ultra on sale and have been using it in my old truck and no leaks.I am sure the PP will do the same

For an 88 318 I would just use whichever was less $. That engine will run forever regardless of which oil you choose
smile.gif

PP. Of of the best oils and best value out there.

I am not a fan of high mileage oils. If you have leaking seals, its better to condition them (Auto-Rx) then swell them (high mileage oil).

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Once you use a HM oil you need to use a HM oil for the rest of the vehicles life or you are going to have leaks eventually.

I don't think thats entirely true. All new synthetics and oils are compatible with all seals. If you spring a leak, it was gonna happen sometime in the future anyway. The HM oils are usually thicker which slows the leaks. Some may contain "additional" conditioners like Maxlife promotes but who really knows what those are and if they aren't in the other oils. imho

Once you use a HM oil you need to use a HM oil for the rest of the vehicles life or you are going to have leaks eventually.

That is bullocks me thinks.
i've used HM's before and gone back and forth dino to syn, its no worries.

Originally Posted By: volk06

I don't think thats entirely true. All new synthetics and oils are compatible with all seals. If you spring a leak, it was gonna happen sometime in the future anyway. The HM oils are usually thicker which slows the leaks. Some may contain "additional" conditioners like Maxlife promotes but who really knows what those are and if they aren't in the other oils. imho

HM oils have a conditioner in them to swell seals so they don't leak. You have to continue to use the HM oil so they stay swelled. Now the problem is sometimes the conditioner will continue to swell the seals till they bust, but that rarely ever happens. When you go back to dino or syn the conditioner to keep the seals swelled is no longer there and they start to shrink again and therefore you may now have leaks you didn't have before. I'm just stating what I have researched over the years. So basiclly if your going to a HM oil you might as well stay with it.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

That is bullocks me thinks.
i've used HM's before and gone back and forth dino to syn, its no worries.

Your entitled to your own opinion. I'm just stating what I have read over the years. I am no where near an oil expert. Take it for what it's worth.

So why did you go back and forth with the oils? Were they not doing it's job?

HM oils have a conditioner in them to swell seals so they don't leak. You have to continue to use the HM oil so they stay swelled. Now the problem is sometimes the conditioner will continue to swell the seals till they bust, but that rarely ever happens. When you go back to dino or syn the conditioner to keep the seals swelled is no longer there and they start to shrink again and therefore you may now have leaks you didn't have before. I just stating what i have researched over the years. So basiclly if your going to a HM oil you might as well stay with it.

I see where your coming from now. I agree that you might as well keep using it since the engine prolly has a lot of miles but if you switch back to a non HM oil for an OCI I don't think that would hurt it as long as you went back to HM the next change.

HM oils have a conditioner in them to swell seals so they don't leak. You have to continue to use the HM oil so they stay swelled. Now the problem is sometimes the conditioner will continue to swell the seals till they bust, but that rarely ever happens. When you go back to dino or syn the conditioner to keep the seals swelled is no longer there and they start to shrink again and therefore you may now have leaks you didn't have before. I just stating what i have researched over the years. So basiclly if your going to a HM oil you might as well stay with it.

I see where your coming from now. I agree that you might as well keep using it since the engine prolly has a lot of miles but if you switch back to a non HM oil for an OCI I don't think that would hurt it as long as you went back to HM the next change.

This is one example but by no means proof of anything.

HM oils have a conditioner in them to swell seals so they don't leak. You have to continue to use the HM oil so they stay swelled. Now the problem is sometimes the conditioner will continue to swell the seals till they bust, but that rarely ever happens. When you go back to dino or syn the conditioner to keep the seals swelled is no longer there and they start to shrink again and therefore you may now have leaks you didn't have before. I'm just stating what I have researched over the years. So basiclly if your going to a HM oil you might as well stay with it.

Bologna Sandwich. Almost every oil has seal conditioner. HMs usually do have more though. The level of [censored] on this forum is mind boggling.

Originally Posted By: Torrid

Bologna Sandwich. Almost every oil has seal conditioner. HMs usually do have more though. The level of [censored] on this forum is mind boggling.

That's your opinion buddy, good luck....

Penz. HM 10W-40 would be my choice for that engine.

In another thread, he mentions he is having high oil consumption on this engine.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back