Peak Long Life, or Prestone??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or whichever is cheaper? Is there a difference? The Prestone seems to indicate both phosphate & silicate free. Is the Peak Long life free of both??

"Is the Peak Long life free of both??" Yes.
"Is there a difference?" The Peak says propritary inhibitors (who knows what those ingredients are). If you read the ingredients on regular Prestone and Prestone DexCool you will see that they are the same. I bought a case of Peak.

Originally Posted By: 229
"Is the Peak Long life free of both??" Yes.
"Is there a difference?" The Peak says propritary inhibitors (who knows what those ingredients are). If you read the ingredients on regular Prestone and Prestone DexCool you will see that they are the same. I bought a case of Peak.

Pretty much what he said. Look for 2-ethylhexanoic acid. This is an indicator that it's a DexClone...

I used both in '94 LS400, didn't see any difference with 2-3 years flush. Still have original radiator, heater core, lower hose. The original upper hose was changed about a year ago, some heater hoses was changed few years ago.

If you leave the acid in there more than three years it starts to attack plastic framed intake gaskets and WP seals. Looking in the radiator it will look clean because the acidic fluid cleans the scale off.

If you leave the acid in there more than three years it starts to attack plastic framed intake gaskets and WP seals. Looking in the radiator it will look clean because the acidic fluid cleans the scale off.

You're wrong about that. Just because you see "acid" doesn't mean it's going to eat your engine up. There are lots of 200k mile Dex systems out there doing just fine.

Even the green will turn acidic - and it'll do it much faster than a typical long life coolant.

I change GM intake gaskets because of it. There was a class action lawsuit over it. On my 3.8L I changed to the metal backed gaskets from FelPro because the plastic gaskets hydrolocked the engine at 80K. Drained the LT3 when new and converted. If you must use it change it often. My 2c.

Like I said in the other thread, I've changed GM LIM gaskets from both green and Dex systems. I'm just not convinced that Dex is the root of all evil. I've seen lots of problems with both systems when not maintained and few problems with them when they were..

Dexcool is not the problem, the problem is the owner not maintaint it well. I use dexcool on all my gm, and flush out every 2-3 day, never have problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Dexcool is not the problem, the problem is the owner not maintaint it well. I use dexcool on all my gm, and flush out every 2-3 day, never have problem.

2-3 years -_-

I change GM intake gaskets because of it. There was a class action lawsuit over it.

It was poor engine design..not the DexCool,

Lower plastic intake gaskets were rotted also. Regular coolant maintenance. Replaced with metal framed gaskets and quit using DexCrap. The acidic coolant attacks the plastic and eventually deforms the rubber gaskets. Jes-ASE Master Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back