PL14610 cut open (VQ35DE, 2745 mi in use)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open the last oil filter I used (first filter I ever cut open). Purolator PureONE PL14610, in use for 2745 miles with PYB 10W-40 SN after an Auto-RX run (this was the "rinse" phase):

Filter was cut open using a Dremel. Anti-drainback valve was still soft and pliable; after puncturing the can, oil leaked out. Not that it matters much since the filter isn't at an angle where oil can drain back into the sump. I still have this filter, if someone wants pictures of something else about this filter let me know.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian

Filter was cut open using a Dremel. Anti-drainback valve was still soft and pliable; after puncturing the can, oil leaked out. Not that it matters much since the filter isn't at an angle where oil can drain back into the sump. I still have this filter, if someone wants pictures of something else about this filter let me know.

The silicone ADBVs never get hard. It was holding oil until you punched the can, which means the ADBV was doing it's job and keeping oil in the can.

The PL14610 is also what I'm using on my V6 Altima. It's a solid filter with plenty of media for its size, and I like the metal crimp at the seam. Not a lot of filters still use the metal crimp.

You might also find this thread interesting. Make note of the test conducted to test the effectiveness of the ADBV.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...807#Post2042807

I've read of others stating the condition of the ADBV when describing cut open oil filters and I followed suit. Thanks for that bit of info.

I've got 9 PL14610s stashed away for my Pathfinder and my mother's Altima (QR25DE). AAP's $5 deals plus online discount codes and the $3/filter rebate from Purolator make them undeniable.

ZeeOSix, can a PL14610 be used in place of a PL14459? I notice you mention both P/Ns in relation to a V6 Altima?

I'm guessing it all depends on the seal to the block if there is a mating surface for it or not? Was considering using a PL14610 in the future instead of the PL14459.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
ZeeOSix, can a PL14610 be used in place of a PL14459? I notice you mention both P/Ns in relation to a V6 Altima?

I'm guessing it all depends on the seal to the block if there is a mating surface for it or not? Was considering using a PL14610 in the future instead of the PL14459.

Yes, the 14610 can be used in place of the 14459 probably easier than the 14459 used in place of the 14610. The base gasket diameter is the same on both, but the can diameter is larger on the 14459. The 14610 is also longer, so if you have room in the length dimension, then the 14610 should work fine.

^I believe I want to use the 14610 on my little Civic since it has more media(not sure about efficiency ratings though I'm sure it'd filter better if not at least as well as the smaller filter) and I did note the relief valve PSI is 'slightly' higher on the larger filter. I suppose that's filter dependent and the car shouldn't see it any differently.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=PL14459

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=PL14610

I've read before that the PL14610/14612 are rated at 99.9% @ 40 microns vs. the PL14459 which is rated 99.9% @ 20 microns. Read here.

Oh, that's interesting and I vaguely remember reading that thread, go figure. I wonder what the PL14610 does at 20 micron sized particles then. 97-98 range, I'd hope at least.

I've read before that the PL14610/14612 are rated at 99.9% @ 40 microns vs. the PL14459 which is rated 99.9% @ 20 microns. Read here.

Oh, that's interesting and I vaguely remember reading that thread, go figure. I wonder what the PL14610 does at 20 micron sized particles then. 97-98 range, I'd hope at least.

Guys ... after using both, I'd rather stick with the PL14610 over the PL14459, even if the efficiency rating isn't as good on the 14610. I didn't like the way the pleats were spaced in the 14459, and the 14610 actually has more media area. By looking at the outside of the can, you'd think it would be the 14459 that had more media, but it doesn't.

Looks good, though 2700 miles hardly a test of the P1. But, I understand this was a ARX rinse.

As ZO mentioned, 14610 actually has a bit more media area than the larger 14459.

If the PL14610 are rated at 40 microns, are the PureOnes a waste of money in this size? What are other brands of filters rated at with this size filter??

Originally Posted By: steveh
If the PL14610 are rated at 40 microns, are the PureOnes a waste of money in this size? What are other brands of filters rated at with this size filter??

I don't know if the quoted ratings or actual ratings you get are worth a fuss, but you could perform a UOA + particle count to compare one P1 vs another for fun. Can't we?

You know what, I'd be willing to see in a sample of a P1 PL14459 for particle count and a PL14610 afterward, if someone paid for the PC and I post it up!
grin2.gif

...but my begging aside, even the Wix/Napa Gold equivalent(Carquest Blue as well?), appear to be big filters, but they are rather cramped down even though a wide OD. The (5)1334 offerings are moderately efficient at filtering. I believe river_rat performed a test on that one too. I've ran it often before and just used some P1s, the one's discussed in this thread more recently on the VX(aside from when I use EP filters like I am now).

I'll be putting a PL14459 on next after removing the Amsoil EaO20 mid-way since my insoluble levels are rather high for my taste on my last UOA(which was a cleanup interval so perhaps not so surprising).

I definitely like the idea of using the PL14610 instead of the PL14459. It just seems like a shame the 'quoted' test shows the PL14459 as appearing better at filtration, FWIW.

I'll be putting a PL14459 on next after removing the Amsoil EaO20 mid-way since my insoluble levels are rather high for my taste on my last UOA(which was a cleanup interval so perhaps not so surprising).

I definitely like the idea of using the PL14610 instead of the PL14459. It just seems like a shame the 'quoted' test shows the PL14459 as appearing better at filtration, FWIW.

Last filter I used on my Altima V6 was a Classic L14459. The number of pleats were less (59 instead of 63 if I recall) than the last PL14459 I used, and the pleats near the seam folded over and tore open. I had a thread about the whole ordeal.

I'm not sure if the newer PL14459s being made now have less pleats now too. Something to watch out for.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...902#Post2260902

Ah, I remember now. I don't have experience cutting open filters(yet, mwuahahaha!), but if I could I'd cut open the next PL14459 I'm going to use once it comes off during complete oil change time. I've got a Wix 51334 sitting in my garage, I hack sawed it to death near the baseplate(on the seam of the baseplate?) and the stupid canister wouldn't come off...ugh.

Okay, enough about my epic fail. Did they ever do anything about replacing that filter? Just curious.
whistle.gif

Ah, I remember now. I don't have experience cutting open filters(yet, mwuahahaha!), but if I could I'd cut open the next PL14459 I'm going to use once it comes off during complete oil change time. I've got a Wix 51334 sitting in my garage, I hack sawed it to death near the baseplate(on the seam of the baseplate?) and the stupid canister wouldn't come off...ugh.

Okay, enough about my epic fail. Did they ever do anything about replacing that filter? Just curious.
whistle.gif

lol the first filter i tried to cut open I tried with a hacksaw and finished with a cut off wheel. it was fed up with sharp edges. I said screw it, I'm gonna order the cutter from summit. but decision ever.

Did they ever do anything about replacing that filter? Just curious.
whistle.gif

The told me to call the "claims center", but I haven't yet. Guess I should just to see what that's all about.

lol, hey why not.

Back to OP, the 3rd picture he has up near the base where the pleats/end cap is where the dreaded 'rip' typically occurs.

I'm sure it's one in every certain number, or a percentage; in other words, that has this happens in any numbers of filters.

We've all come to realize that a lot of brands out there have these fly by nights or very well may be happening and no one realizes it. The primary concern is catastrophic failures, while I'm sure occasionally we'll have the blip of a media tear/rip, hopefully no hole with missing debris since that is the beginnings of sheer terror.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back