Marvel Mystery Oil - My test of MMO & mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kasedian
Originally Posted By: hate2work
My twin brother and I are going to try an experiment. We have identical 1982 Chevrolet Cavaliers with 195,311 miles on them. Same tires, same oil, same windshield wipers, etc. We will fill up one with a mix of MMO, and one without. We will then drive cross-country, side by side, for the rest of the summer. We will eat the same exact food, drink the same exact beer, listen to the same radio stations, etc. Will report back to you all with our findings.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that will not be much of a scientific test. I applaud your effort, but your method is lacking. You can't really compare mileage between two cars, you have to compare mileage of the same car, before and after the addition of an additive.

You'd be better off driving both cars halfway, noting the mileage of each car, then add the MMO to both cars at each fillup for the second half of the trip, carefully logging the mileage.

On the return trip, do the exact same thing, add nothing to the gas of either car for the first half of the trip, then add MMO to the fuel of both cars for the second half, again being careful to note the mileage.

Good luck and have fun
smile.gif

But, they're identical cars. Same mileage and everything. Even the same seat covers, and 1 missing hubcap. VIN #s are the same, too.

Make sure you weigh both vehicles dry, then wet. One could be a little heavier. Also check the brakes for drag.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My twin brother and I are going to try an experiment. We have identical 1982 Chevrolet Cavaliers with 195,311 miles on them. Same tires, same oil, same windshield wipers, etc. We will fill up one with a mix of MMO, and one without. We will then drive cross-country, side by side, for the rest of the summer. We will eat the same exact food, drink the same exact beer, listen to the same radio stations, etc. Will report back to you all with our findings.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that will not be much of a scientific test. I applaud your effort, but your method is lacking. You can't really compare mileage between two cars, you have to compare mileage of the same car, before and after the addition of an additive.

You'd be better off driving both cars halfway, noting the mileage of each car, then add the MMO to both cars at each fillup for the second half of the trip, carefully logging the mileage.

On the return trip, do the exact same thing, add nothing to the gas of either car for the first half of the trip, then add MMO to the fuel of both cars for the second half, again being careful to note the mileage.

Good luck and have fun
smile.gif

But, they're identical cars. Same mileage and everything. Even the same seat covers, and 1 missing hubcap. VIN #s are the same, too.

Make sure you weigh both vehicles dry, then wet. One could be a little heavier. Also check the brakes for drag.

Already did that. They weigh EXACTLY the same. Down to the quarter ounce.

Last edited:

Hey,

Betcha didn't weigh your Mental Baggage...

Doh, Jim

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf

Hey,

Betcha didn't weigh your Mental Baggage...

Doh, Jim

Sure did! Trunk is fully loaded, and then some!

Originally Posted By: badtlc
It is perfectly harmless. Run as much as you want w/out fear. Feel free after a while to try different ratios. Some folks claim to get better results with 3oz/10gal.
I don't know about the whole "run as much as you want" - in my experience (non-scientifical at that though...lol....I did not use a beaker or graduated cylinder, nor did I take into consideration the "miniscus" of the MMO ; my measurement container of choice is (or should say, WAS) a Lucas UCL bottle
smile.gif
At 5.25 oz. it's got "just about" the right ratio for my 14 gallon tank....I previously was adding the 5.25 oz. of MMO "every other" tank, to take into consideration any possible "over concentration" since I was adding the MMO based on the "tank size" rather than a "amount filled" per the gas pump...

Mind you, it was also easier to add the MMO "before" filling up, so the MMO got sloshed around, mixed up, and washed down the filler neck real good as I filled up
smile.gif

Fast forward about 6 months, I've been using an 8 oz. 2-Cicle/TCW-3 bottle, to more accurately measure my dosing, at around ~3 oz. per 10 gallons. As I've tracked my fill ups, I've noticed despite my tank being ~14 gallons, my typical fill up is about ~10 gallons, give it take. It's almost always over the 10 gallon mark, sometimes (depending on the pump I guess...) the pump will take the amount out to 3 decimal places lol,,,10.245...etc. But I still go with the 3 oz.....

I've also gotten better at "reading" my fuel gauge to pre-determine the estimated amount of MMO to add to the fuel, so I've been actually adding the MMO prior to gassing up
smile.gif
So as I pump, the MMO gets mixed up real good, rather than just dribbling down the fuel filler neck as I drive
wink.gif

I have not tracked my MPG really well to say whether or not I'm seeing any MPG gains or not...but for an 88 Dodge Aries, I generally get 200-250 miles on a 14 gallon tank....that's pretty good for it's age
wink.gif
Other than doing some "eco mods" I don't think I can get much more out of this old metal beast...but it's only got ~41k on the clock, original engine. In fact, I just changed out the original PCV valve the other day, along with the external pass through fuel filter, which appeared to be aftermarket of sorts....but too dirty and rusted to discern any part numbers from it
wink.gif

Bottom line, I'm not running the MMO for the MPG gains, I'm running it for the UCL properties....gasoline is not what it used to be when my vehicle was originally manufactured, with ethanol being added, the lubricity of the fuel is lost, I'm using the MMO to re-add that "lube"....

My engine does seem quieter with the MMO in the crankcase though, I only have ever used a pint dosing.

Last edited:

The VINs are the same? And they weigh within a quarter ounce of each other?

50.gif

Not within a quarter ounce - EXACTLY the same down to a quarter ounce.

^^ You do realize a bird turd can alter the weight, and the aerodynamics of the vehicle. So constant monitoring would be required in order for this test to be fair and vaild.

I realize this is an old thread but I am new to the forum and have been using MMO in my fuel tank regularly for about 6 months now and I was curious to see what other people thought about it. I noticed several people commented that their vehicle ran rough with one treatment of MMO and I believe that may have been caused by the MMO cleaning the gunk out of the engine and fuel system. My 2013 Honda CRV was running a little rough so I started using it in my gas tank at the recommended dosage. My car smoked a bit and had the occasional sputter during the first tank or two of treatment with the MMO but the engine slowly smoothed out and started running like a top and has continued to run great since then. It even quieted down some of the engine noise. I wonder if some of the people with a bad experience with one treatment didn't sell MMO short by not giving it enough time to clean out all of the gunk.

Occasionally I ran MMO in my fuel with the big '03 Park Avenue, and am trying some now in the '11 Buick Regal. The Regal has 74600 miles and runs on regular. Since I put in the MMO (5 oz. in an 18-gal. tank), however, the 2.4L four does seem to have a *little* roughness while idling at lights. No stumbling or stalling, and no hint that it will, just less smoothness than usual. The fuel itself is ExxonMobil 87 from the same station I've been using for several years. We'll see if the idling smooths out a bit in the future.

Originally Posted By: Silentbob267
I realize this is an old thread but I am new to the forum and have been using MMO in my fuel tank regularly for about 6 months now and I was curious to see what other people thought about it. I noticed several people commented that their vehicle ran rough with one treatment of MMO and I believe that may have been caused by the MMO cleaning the gunk out of the engine and fuel system. My 2013 Honda CRV was running a little rough so I started using it in my gas tank at the recommended dosage. My car smoked a bit and had the occasional sputter during the first tank or two of treatment with the MMO but the engine slowly smoothed out and started running like a top and has continued to run great since then. It even quieted down some of the engine noise. I wonder if some of the people with a bad experience with one treatment didn't sell MMO short by not giving it enough time to clean out all of the gunk.

I run MMO in my Accord and it quieted the engine a good bit. I hate to drive the car without MMO in the tank.

I wonder if it runs rough because it changes the effective octane level of the fuel and your engine is missing timing. Eventually the ECU adjusts to the modified fuel.

Old thread but I did find success with mmo in my explorer. 260k miles new plugs were run a couple tanks before I added mmo so removed that variable. Driving was relatively consistent. Posted record tank with ease with some driving and weather that should have made it a lesser tank. Was consistently around 22-23 mpg consistantly. Record tank jumped to 27.5 following tank even with cold weather as still 26.3. So just an average between the 2 that's about that 17% improvement as well. Tested in my cruze for 2 tanks but no discernable difference. Newer car so didn't expect much. Will be testing with explorer again after I fix up some ditch damage from the winter. Bash away lol

Wow a 17% improvement, that's amazing. Thanks for joining to let us know!

Originally Posted By: 14ecocruze
Old thread but I did find success with mmo in my explorer. 260k miles new plugs were run a couple tanks before I added mmo so removed that variable. Driving was relatively consistent. Posted record tank with ease with some driving and weather that should have made it a lesser tank. Was consistently around 22-23 mpg consistantly. Record tank jumped to 27.5 following tank even with cold weather as still 26.3. So just an average between the 2 that's about that 17% improvement as well. Tested in my cruze for 2 tanks but no discernable difference. Newer car so didn't expect much. Will be testing with explorer again after I fix up some ditch damage from the winter. Bash away lol

I had found MMO mentions elsewhere and thought I would try it. Expy didn't get driven as much as it should have during winter due to a dead battery and then the little ditch indecent. Was curious if I could have held a high average through winter. In Wisconsin so 3 months and snow will probably fly again lol. Gotta take care of a few things to make it fully road worthy again. Hope to see more success. Will be testing on the cruze again through winter as well seeing as I switch back to 87 with up to 10% ethanol. Just about to 80k miles on that so maybe we will see something of an improvement.

Several years ago I experimented with the amount of MMO used per gallon. The recommended 4 oz per 10-gallons was fine, but I got the same results using 3 oz per 10-gallons. Below 3 oz. the results were about the same as running no MMO at all. The difference between 3 and 4 oz per 10-gallons was too samll to accurately measure due to varying driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Not to throw science into this discussion but that is a 17%+ increase in efficiency. You are obviously missing something in this experiment or purposely driving different to skew the numbers. There is no logical justification for that kind of increase.

Quote:
MMO claims it improves combustion and lubricates the fuel system.

Our detailed analysis of a few years ago showed that MMO contains a small amount of a chlorobenzene-type cleaner and some phosphorus that could act as a possible deposit scavenger when mixed in fuel, but nothing stood out that there is anything in it that could improve mileage.

Question: What component in a fuel system requires lubrication?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back