2011 HEMI 5.7 oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
When towing (and sometimes without towing) in a few areas across the mountains in East VA there are places where you can (and need to) maintain full throttle for 3 or 4 minutes continuously. Cooling systems are not made to reject that much heat and you can watch the temp gauge steadily climb until you chicken out.

Would I want some 20W oil with the consistency of water in my sump doing heavy towing? No.

Also, if you add a few bolt on parts and re-program the PCM for higher shift points and an increased rev limit (typical enthusiast stuff), you need more protection than a 20W oil can offer when the vehicle is run hard.

The bottom line is that 20W oil is not a high performance or hard engine usage engine oil. It is perfect for its intended usage, but that is not high temperatures under heavy load.

She's gonna blow! LOL. I can't believe there's still people out there that think this. Like NHHEMI said, "to each his own". I will continue to run 5w20 -- which is the only recommendation in my manual -- and sleep well at night. Yes, I also drive spirited. I value my "limited" lifetime powertrain warranty.

Sorry, jeff, but I also disagree. There are just too many late model hemis out there running 20w and no problems reported.

NH, the MDS thing is common on both V8's and V-6's from many major manufacturers. While they vary a bit on exact hardware there is a great deal of commonality in their operation. Might not be as exotic as you make it sound.

But no way is 20w going to lead to imminent engine destruction! Just so everyone knows neither will 30w.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Sorry, jeff, but I also disagree. There are just too many late model hemis out there running 20w and no problems reported.

NH, the MDS thing is common on both V8's and V-6's from many major manufacturers. While they vary a bit on exact hardware there is a great deal of commonality in their operation. Might not be as exotic as you make it sound.

But no way is 20w going to lead to imminent engine destruction! Just so everyone knows neither will 30w.

I know similar systems to MDS are out there. I had a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3L that ahd AFM. I am not ignorant to the automotive world. You misunderstand my point. Compared to a standard V8/V6 without any kind of cylinder deactivation MDS, AFM, DOD( whatever you wish to call it )does have special parts. Not special as in miraculous but special as in different.

My wife has a Chrysler 300C with the pre-VVT 5.7 HEMI. She drives at least 100 miles a day, mostly on the interstate.

Since day one I've used Mobil 1 5w20. I changed the oil every 5k for the first 30k miles, and since then I've changed it every 10k. No issues in 80k miles - but I didn't expect any with this motor. I do have to add a quart halfway between oil changes, no big deal (it seems to be improving over time anyways).

I did switch from the tiny stock filter to the taller Purolator 30001 filter, for a little more oil capacity and a little more filter media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back