Motorcycle oils with Esters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Amsoil ....But I have heard form many users that their 20W-50 shears to a 30 weight in about 50 miles of use.

To a viscosity under 11.5 cSt from 20 cSt in 50 miles? Haven't seen this at all in UOA's. Hard to believe. Probably just one of those rumor things. Thanks for having some doubts. People say a lot of stuff about oils.....I've heard some doozies over the years.

If I recall the Amsoil paper dates back to 2005 or thereabouts. So how much tweaking has everyone done to formulas since then?

I mean you could still find SL rated stuff all over automotive oil shelves back then.

Originally Posted By: daz
The latest one actually says 2009...

Amsoil white paper

Look to the left of the last picture at the top of the PDF

You are correct sir. Actually if you look at the last page you can see from the notarization that it was finished on June 11, 2009.

I had the old one downloaded and when I went to look for it on their site last night it wouldnt open.

Yeah, in another post i mentioned not being able to get it too. Looked like they removed it because i had opened it a day before. But i found this other link which is apparently in a different location that wasn't removed or altered.

OK I saw it but not sure what the numbers mean. I saw that Amsoil was in the middle of the stack sometimes and so was M1. I think you need to try these oils out for yourself and don't believe everything you read.

knowing how an oil works in your motor is the BIG battle.
soon you will join the 50+ uoa club.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Qwiky
daz, that M1 V-Twin is close to a 60W. It doesn't generally lose grade during the OCI (compared to a lot of other oils) and tends to thicken at the end of its interval.

Wow, thats good to know, thanks. Where did you see that data? What is OCI by the way?

It used to be a 17.8cSt at 100°C or there abouts. I think the specs are around 19.something now.

When I said "interval" I didn't mean OCI (as that can vary widely). I meant when the TBN gets low around a 1 according to some labs or when the TBN and TAN are equal according to some other labs. That is the real end of life for the oil.

Having said all that, that weight oil may be ok, check your manual.

As for the 2009 white paper pdf most of the oils have probably changed formulations. I think amsoil and m1 have both reformulated.

I just ordered motul 7100 last week and in the meantime i was looking at the amsoil white paper and saw that motul, which i always read was a top synthetic motorcycle oil, took almost last place among about 20 oils ! So in the meantime i decided to use mobil 1 and the bike is running really smooth and even seems a bit snappier than with the torco blend i was using. Now I have a gallon jug of motul and i don't want to use it ! If anyone wants to try and convince me that white paper if [censored] please do, as i hate having thrown away $50. Mobil 1 came in second to amsoil, so unless the formula has changed substantially (called mobil and rep said no change)as i asked in another thread, i'm sticking with that.

That was 300v not 7100. Yes?

Originally Posted By: JCM35

That was 300v not 7100. Yes?

No, 7100. You're thinking of the 40 weight category. This is the 50 weight category. Both came in really low. Heres the PDF...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDkQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oil-tech.com%2Fmotorcycle-oil-comparison.pdf&rct=j&q=motorcycle%20white%20paper&ei=jsY4TqDQFcXmiAKCyenvDg&usg=AFQjCNEw_s8jrpm7NJYN57BAXSHn0qXjCQ&cad=rja

Still the oil has prolly chaged formulas since then. I would use a 40 weight anyways.

I'm running the dino Castrol 4T 10W-40 and no problems or clutch slippage in over 200 miles. Going with the Castrol Racing RS 4T Full Syn next since I have it laying around.

The Dino 4t wont slip, it just goes way out of grade easily. I actually had sticky clutch problems with it when my bike was cold.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The Dino 4t wont slip, it just goes way out of grade easily. I actually had sticky clutch problems with it when my bike was cold.

I did notice it looks and feels as thin as water. I'm a change it out at 1K, so about another 600 miles and it is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back