New 20 offerings from Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablo, Amsoil's website isn't all that easy for me to navigate. Is there a simple chart or listing that shows the intended use/level of "premiumness" of each line of oils?

For example, Pennzoil is clear. YB < High Mileage < Platinum < Ultra. Valvoline WB < Durablend < SynPower.

Amsoil has so many lines of oil (OE, XL, Signature Series); how do they relate to one another?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Pablo, Amsoil's website isn't all that easy for me to navigate. Is there a simple chart or listing that shows the intended use/level of "premiumness" of each line of oils?

For example, Pennzoil is clear. YB < High Mileage < Platinum < Ultra. Valvoline WB < Durablend < SynPower.

Amsoil has so many lines of oil (OE, XL, Signature Series); how do they relate to one another?

The signature series from Amsoil is the premium line. In my opinion the signature series is the only one to buy from Amsoil. While it may be the best oil available, one can buy oil locally that exceeds the other two lines. Such as PP or Mobil 1.

While I do not always buy Amsoil oil, I always buy their ATF and gear oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald

The signature series from Amsoil is the premium line. In my opinion the signature series is the only one to buy from Amsoil. While it may be the best oil available, one can buy oil locally that exceeds the other two lines. Such as PP or Mobil 1.

Thanks - I would disagree a bit. I would say XL is superior to PP and M1. OE is a close comparison, and much less expensive than M1.

I would say Pablo does not know XL is superior to M1 unless he has inside information on ASTM tests. I would bet M1 trumps all Amsoik oils on the Seq III, Teost and IVA. AMSOIL SS is using a dated additive system that looks identical to M1 from 2006.

Any company using the 4 ball wear test id be skeptical of their claims.

Originally Posted By: buster
I would say Pablo does not know XL is superior to M1 unless he has inside information on ASTM tests. I would bet M1 trumps all Amsoik oils on the Seq III, Teost and IVA. AMSOIL SS is using a dated additive system that looks identical to M1 from 2006.

Any company using the 4 ball wear test id be skeptical of their claims.

I would say you sometimes know what you are talking about and sometimes you don't. You might lose that bet.

Amsoil is a good buy if you are a PC and can pick it up at one of their warehouses. Their shipping charges are outrageous. For street applications their oils go as follows from good to best OE, XL and SS. I run the XL for 9K OCI with a Royal Purple oil filter. My local Napa now carries Amsoil as a regular Item.

Mobil's regular synthetic is probably of similar quality to the XL stuff.

Originally Posted By: buster
Unreal. You are comparing OE to M1? Wow. Wow.

Sure enough. What? That doesn't work for you? But it's OK to compare any dino oil to AZO? Too funny. Some comparisons work for you, but others don't? Open your mind.

Real world stuff is hard to swallow. Sure on paper one oil can be made to look better than another. But run an engine 5-7.5K OCI on M1, same engine same exact conditions with OE. Tear it down at 500K. Any difference?

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Their shipping charges are outrageous.

~$11 to ship a 26 pound case of oil anywhere in the country is not my definition of outrageous.

Thanks for the update, Pablo. I owe you an 'apology' for doubting they'd show!

I agree with you - that's quite the spread of 20-weight offerings from one company -how do you choose which one to run???

:p

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Thanks for the update, Pablo. I owe you an 'apology' for doubting they'd show!

I agree with you - that's quite the spread of 20-weight offerings from one company -how do you choose which one to run???

:p

Keeping it simple, 3-6K OCI OE, 6-10K XL, 10K+ SS. I know this is super simplified and certainly does not fit all situations and certainly does not exactly match what Amsoil says, but it's a good start and will work fine in most engines.

Tailoring it could be something like 4-5K max with XL for a sludge or DI engine, or perhaps 6 months max with XL or SS in 0.5 mile commutes in the frozen wasteland, 3 months max with OE in the same environment. That sort of thing.

Even with my small stockpile of Napa syn, I'm quite sure I want to run some XL when I grab a Cruze with the 1.8.

Co worker is running it in her car now (her hasband is a car nut too), and getting 9k out of it is quite good in this state.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

This is more of the question I was trying to answer with my first one, about how they stack up.

I'm sorry this thread devolved into something it was never intended to me. I hope I didn't spur it on.

It's all good. I hope I answered your question above. You can get basically the same info at Amsoil.com but you need to read around a bit.

I get used to people taking pot shots at Amsoil on BITOG. It's standard fare, as they say - it makes the real world that much easier.

Yeah, it does.

Some would ask 'why a 5W-20 when there is a 0W-20'; BUT, when you see how stout a 5W-20 can be, it makes sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back