6.2 GM Diesel With Waste Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been interested in burning W.M.O. in this engine 6.2 G. M.
So far have used assorted filtered gas engine and small amounts of waste from the 6.2 Engine seems to run fine-no smoke, starts same. Anyone have thoughts on this engine using waste? Unit is an 86 Mil spec Blazer with 30K original miles.Filtration has been simple cheese cloth, however the gas engine waste oil was from motorcycles and quite clean. Have thrown in 2 cycle oil and engine just seems to say yummy. Thoughts?

If it says "Yummy" on the 2-stroke, then stick with that..
lol.gif

I'm not sure how old your Blazer is, whether it has the box-type fuel/water separator or the (better) older cylindrical type one-but be forewarned that your Stanadyne injection pump does not tolerate water or contamination very well-one slug of water makes it to the pump=rotor shaft snaps and it isn't even usable as a core. Unfortunately the rotary IPs are not strong enough to take any abuse.

Apparently not many of these old 6.2 diesels still running. This one was out of a batch of about 28 National Guard units. Had low miles (23K) total on unit when we purchased the old girl. Run diesel treatment for cold weather, MMO, and have been mixing in the small amounts of new or used oil as the fluid presents itself. Maybe sounds a little crude to experiment with W.M.O., but so far has worked out better than taking the used oil to the reclaim facility. Truck runs same as usual. Dogs love to ride in it and the wife tolerates my indulgences.

There's still a few of them around here-there's my '93 6.2, and there's a couple other pickups running around I've seen. In many ways the 6.2 is a tougher motor than the 6.5-thicker cylinder walls, less power (which means the weak nodular iron crank it shares with the 6.5 lasts longer), and the MUCH more reliable mechanical injection pump (exc. the '92-'93 6.5) means much less fuel system trouble. The biggest thing is making sure your fuel is filtered well-using a 2 micron additional fuel/water separator between the factory one and the injection pump is one of the best insurance policies you can have. Except for a disintegrating harmonic balancer & front seal, my 6.2 has had ZERO problems in the roughly 4 years I've had it. They are capable of big miles, too-I had a rusty '92 C1500 6.2 with 299,000 on it that still ran fairly well-and I've seen newer 6.5 turbos that never made it over 80K without a catastrophic crankshaft failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back