Drain oil first or remove filter first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drain the oil first so I can burn my arms with the hottest oil. Then while it's draining I go & get a couple "cold ones" to put on the burned flesh. Then not wanting to waste my "icepacks" I consume them. But they are now warmish so I get a cold one to to get the warm taste out of my mouth. Check the oil draining, it's still draining. Hate to waste time, go get another cold on. After I finish that one it's time to put the drain plug back in. I can't remember where I put it, maybe another cold one will jar my memory. I find it 30 minutes later, under the car. Install the plug, developed a thirst, time for another cold one. Jack the car, remove the tire and remove the filter and replace, reverse process. Developed a strong thirst, need more cold ones. Come back out can't find the oil until I trip over it and hit the concrete floor. Need another cold one to ease the pain. Finish job and call doctors office to look at burned arm and concussion. Thank goodness I have a 12 pack
smile.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I drain the oil first so I can burn my arms with the hottest oil. Then while it's draining I go & get a couple "cold ones" to put on the burned flesh. Then not wanting to waste my "icepacks" I consume them. But they are now warmish so I get a cold one to to get the warm taste out of my mouth. Check the oil draining, it's still draining. Hate to waste time, go get another cold on. After I finish that one it's time to put the drain plug back in. I can't remember where I put it, maybe another cold one will jar my memory. I find it 30 minutes later, under the car. Install the plug, developed a thirst, time for another cold one. Jack the car, remove the tire and remove the filter and replace, reverse process. Developed a strong thirst, need more cold ones. Come back out can't find the oil until I trip over it and hit the concrete floor. Need another cold one to ease the pain. Finish job and call doctors office to look at burned arm and concussion. Thank goodness I have a 12 pack
smile.gif

Whimsey

U drunk right now right ?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
smile.gif

Whimsey

It's satire
grin2.gif
!

Last edited:
smile.gif

Whimsey

He's not as think as you drunk he is.....

Originally Posted By: kasedian
smile.gif

Whimsey

He's not as think as you drunk he is.....

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Whimsey

i kinda do them both at the same time. i have two pans so i pull the plug and filter and let them drip for a good 5 mins or more while im checking all the belts hoses air filter tire pressure and other fluids. when im done i put on a filter, put the plug in, filler up with oil fire it up watch for pressure and get back under the car with it running to check for leaks from the filter or plug. afterward shut it off double check all the caps under the hood and oil level and im done. takes about 15 minutes

Pete, when you unscrewed the filter cap did you hear the oil drain out of the filter holder ?

In my E430, several ounces drained out of the filter holder when I unscrewed the filter cap, I then left the filter holder rested on top of the filter tube for a minute or two to let all the oil drip down. I then pumped my fluid extractor and start siphon the oil, during the time the extractor was working hard I changed the 4 gaskets on the filter holder and put the new cartridge filter on.

HTSS_TR, yup. That is basically what I do. The siphoning takes a while, so that's why I start it first and then get to the filter. Unscrewing the filter cap does release some extra oil back into the sump.

you guys with canister filters ever think about washing the filter hole out with a qt of oil to make sure you get all of that stuff out?

Originally Posted By: morris
dont let a high milage engine set a long time without oil in the crankcase, it will not want to prime.

You have something here. At least in my case it was the hydraulic valves that had bled down on a 15 yo engine in my VW Golf. I got distracted with other stuff I had to do and after three hours I finally started to finish up the job. Reinstalled the drain plug. put the new filter on, and put in the correct amount of oil.

Started it up and although the oil pressure was fine, the valves were clattering like no tomorrow.

It took about 10 minutes for the valves to rpump up with oil and that was the ten most painful minutes I ever had with a car. The noise was very loud...it sounded like their was NO oil in the engine at all or no pressure even though there was oil pressure.

Fast forward three years and 35 k miles and it never has run smoother or better. But really what a scare at the time.

Last edited:
After reading this, I decided to do the filter first (upside down cartridge type), and then do the pan drain. I installed the new o-rings and put the new cartridge together but, not on the engine. I went about my other business while the oil drained for ~ 30m. I then installed the filter, topped up the oil, started & checked for leaks & level, reinstalled the undercover and away I went. First time in 45 years I removed filter first & I liked it. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
After reading this, I decided to do the filter first (upside down cartridge type), and then do the pan drain. I installed the new o-rings and put the new cartridge together but, not on the engine. I went about my other business while the oil drained for ~ 30m. I then installed the filter, topped up the oil, started & checked for leaks & level, reinstalled the undercover and away I went. First time in 45 years I removed filter first & I liked it. Ed

What is your car and where is the filter location ? Is it a German car with cartridge filter on top of the engine ?

At least one advantage from removal of the oil filter first, if practical as Ed has discovered for his app?, is that it typically won't continue to drip forever like the oil drain plug and is 'probably' less messy doing it in that order(even with filter still removed as drain plug is pulled).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back