synthetic oil for infiniti g35

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello new guy here i've just been a lurker reading all of the advice and i couldn't find anything specific. anyways my question is i have a 2006 g35 sedan with the vq motor. i drive the car mostly for long commutes. i put on about 240/week all highway. i use the car just for commutes as i have a 4runner for city driving. my oci is 4000 miles with a wix filter. i've been using castrol edge full synthetic and i've been pretty much a castrol guy. my question is i've noticed the price of the edge has steadily gone up and in comparison to penzoil platinum its more expensive.

what do you guys recommend for my infiniti i like the full synthetic. its recommended to use a 5w30 weight. thanks for all your info.

car has 44k miles.

Last edited:
Your OCI could easily be 10k miles with a full syn and all highway driving. Stick with the Edge if you like Castrol, and just save money by going longer on changes. Problem solved!

its the auto not the 6 speed. reason i was wanting to change is that the castrol edge is more expensive and a pain in the butt to find at walmart now. the penzoil and quaker states is quite abundant.

Any of the off-the-shelf synthetics should be just fine for you. I'd just tell you to get whichever of the "majors" is on sale at the time.

If you change your oil every 4K miles with a wix filter then maybe you should use the NAPA Full Synthetic now on sale for $3.38 a quart. Buy a couple of cases and then go back to NAPA when they have the NAPA Gold Oil Filters on sale. NAPA Full Synthetic is great oil, a clone of Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic and would be perfect for your 4K OCI. The NAPA Gold oil filters are the same as the WIX Filters.

You could do all your shopping at NAPA and build up a great rapport with the employees at NAPA.

hmm not a bad idea with napa. i already get all my suspension stuff for the 4runner there since toyota oem is highway robbery. how does the napa stuff stack up to pennzoil platinum or qs ultimate durability?? in terms of cleaning and protecting. i apologize for the ignorance as im still pretty new to the oil thing i usually just picked castrol and the weight never looked at other brands and after looking around on the forum it seems like there are cheaper if not better brands than the edge stuff which for some reason is getting quite expensive and harder to find around my neck of the woods.

Local WM has 5qt Pennzoil Platinum for 18.75 and Ultra for 22.00. I have run the Platinum for 10k miles or longer and the Ultra for 12-15k. These are good oils and can go the distance, especially if used in a commuter and in a newer engine that is not contaminating the oil quickly or engine known for being especially hard on oil. Pair that with a Mobil 1, Purolator PureOne, Bosch or Bosch Distance Plus oil filter, and you are all set. Wix is a good filter, but I get better deals on the others, esp the PureOne.

thanks guys went and picked up some pennzoil platinum will give that a shot. i was considering some qsud also i didn't know if there was much difference between the pp and the qsud?

Infiniti G owner here.

I have always done 8K OCI on full syn with a Wix of Pureone filter. I ran QSUD and done fine with it. Recently I switched to Castrol black bottle Edge with Syntec and my VQ just responds way better than the QSUD. For me it was a night and day difference from the full syn QSUD to the now black bottle Edge with Syntec!

VQ engines are hard on oil, so running any full syn for a (relatively) short OCI should be fine here.

5w-30 is fine; maybe a 5w-40 if you're wanting to go thicker.

Originally Posted By: Xstang
VQ engines are hard on oil, so running any full syn for a (relatively) short OCI should be fine here.

5w-30 is fine; maybe a 5w-40 if you're wanting to go thicker.

I disagree somewhat. It's the super-high output versions that stress oil. The lower-output variety (VQ35DE, VQ30DE) isn't too bad. My parents have owned several VQ cars over the years and have put 100k on them with M1 5w30...still running perfectly to this day.

My dad eventually switched to GC but from past experience I bet even my mom's new EX35 (which is the HR version) would've been fine on M1 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161

You could do all your shopping at NAPA and build up a great rapport with the employees at NAPA.

This is what I do.. I buy all kinds of stuff from Napa, always get discounts because a few of them I'm buddies with. I love that about Napa, I'll always go back because of it.

My grandson in Fl. just got a 2002 Camry V6 and he says he will be putting in M1 5-30 next week and will do 10K OCIs like his grandpa has for 33 years(that's me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back