Shell Rotella T 5w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shell Rotella T 5w40 (API CJ-4, CI-4+, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF/SM), Cummins CES 20081, Cat ECF-2 and ECF-3, DD 93K218, Mack E0-0 Premium Plus, MB 228.31, Volvo VDS-4

e64703-001.gif

Virtually no difference from the T6. That being said its hard to say which oil would have better TBN retention, low temp performance etc. I think I would choose this over the T6 with price factored in.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Virtually no difference from the T6. That being said its hard to say which oil would have better TBN retention, low temp performance etc. I think I would choose this over the T6 with price factored in.

The CJ-4 RTS to CJ-4 T6 transition (this has been about 2 years ago) was mostly a base-stock and/or VII change.

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Well for bikes it makes a difference. T6 is JASO MA certified and the T isn't.

Mostly likely only because SOPUS didn't bother to have it tested against JASO MA before.

The add pack hasn't changed, and that's the main determinant of the friction modifier test results of JASO MA spec.

I would personally stay away from this oil because its Ca / Mg ratio is less than 1 (well less than 1 indeed). Mg is certainly corrosive and increases wear at high ratios; although, it's a good TBN retainer (helps retain initial TBN).

Answering question on high initial TBN, both Mg and Ca will result in increasing the high initial TBN. They both come from detergents, which means they are both bases (as in total base number [TBN]).

I like the high ZDDP (phosphorus) though. But the unusually large ratio of Mg in this oil is enough for me not to consider it.

Thanks for the VOA, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back