Marvel Mystery Oil - My test of MMO & mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm going to try this myself for four reasons:
A) I've heard several people praise MMO long before I BITOGed
B) I was intrigued by the OP's clear results
C) I've kept an accurate MPG log for years
D) I can use the additional miles/$
I'm not going to change anything I do except add 4oz./10 gal. fuel. I'm assuming this stuff won't kill my cats. Kira

Kira, I believe demarpaint has well over 200,000 miles of use w/ MMO. No failed cats ever.

To be honest, I've never heard of MMO harming cats in any vehicle.

MMO is great; both in fuel and oil for gentle cleaning. I experimented a little w/ the Lucas UCL and immediately went back to MMO. The stuff's been working for over 80 years!

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Not to throw science into this discussion but that is a 17%+ increase in efficiency. You are obviously missing something in this experiment or purposely driving different to skew the numbers. There is no logical justification for that kind of increase.

Well Then,

Perhaps you should try it and report back with your own results...

Thanks, Jim

I have. My tests are pushing the 2 year mark and on the 4th gallon of MMO in fuel use. No measurable MPG increases have been detected on 2 different cars in optimal condition. I'll keep going until I get that fuzzy feeling that lets me know MMO is "working."

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, I'm going to try this myself for four reasons:
A) I've heard several people praise MMO long before I BITOGed
B) I was intrigued by the OP's clear results
C) I've kept an accurate MPG log for years
D) I can use the additional miles/$
I'm not going to change anything I do except add 4oz./10 gal. fuel. I'm assuming this stuff won't kill my cats. Kira

It is perfectly harmless. Run as much as you want w/out fear. Feel free after a while to try different ratios. Some folks claim to get better results with 3oz/10gal.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Not to throw science into this discussion but that is a 17%+ increase in efficiency. You are obviously missing something in this experiment or purposely driving different to skew the numbers. There is no logical justification for that kind of increase.

Well Then,

Perhaps you should try it and report back with your own results...

Thanks, Jim

He did and had nothing positive to report. But then again he works for the competition as a moderator IIRC. LOL

What? Moderator of what? I'm an electrical engineer, not a tribologist. How on Earth could I be working for the competition? My company doesn't engineer anything related to automotive, let alone lubrication.

OH wait, I get it. When facts don't back up your schtick, it is time to start name calling and making up lies about folks? Class move.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: panthermike
Kira, I believe demarpaint has well over 200,000 miles of use w/ MMO. No failed cats ever.

MMO is great; both in fuel and oil for gentle cleaning. I experimented a little w/ the Lucas UCL and immediately went back to MMO. The stuff's been working for over 80 years!

Actually Mike it is 199,825 miles on the Aerostar, I've been using MMO since about 50,000 miles give or take in the Aerostar. I was the second owner. 155,000 miles plus in an 85 E-150, and God only knows how many miles on my other cars in nearly 4 decades of driving. Not one failed CC, or O2 sensor for that matter.

As far as the mpg claims, or smoother idle claims, they are true as far as I can tell, with one caveat. You aren't going to notice much of anything on a new or low mile engine, at least from my experience with the product. Older engines seem to benefit the most from MMO. If a car is running "perfectly" there isn't much to improve upon. In a new engine MMO will help keep injectors clean and working well, and give the benefits of a UCL. So if the MMO bashers are not seeing results in newer low mileage vehicles they should be happy that there is nothing wrong with their cars. JMO

Wow I wasn't trying to start a brawl I just wanted to help save some people a few bucks.

Interesting thought demarpaint, my Jeep I-6 is about as "anti-modern" as you can get hah hah no wonder it likes it.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

Actually Mike it is 199,825 miles on the Aerostar, I've been using MMO since about 50,000 miles give or take in the Aerostar. I was the second owner. 155,000 miles plus in an 85 E-150, and God only knows how many miles on my other cars in nearly 4 decades of driving. Not one failed CC, or O2 sensor for that matter.

As far as the mpg claims, or smoother idle claims, they are true as far as I can tell, with one caveat. You aren't going to notice much of anything on a new or low mile engine, at least from my experience with the product. Older engines seem to benefit the most from MMO. If a car is running "perfectly" there isn't much to improve upon. In a new engine MMO will help keep injectors clean and working well, and give the benefits of a UCL. So if the MMO bashers are not seeing results in newer low mileage vehicles they should be happy that there is nothing wrong with their cars. JMO

+1 You read my minds
smile.gif

If some of you people want 17% or more increase in mpg on newer,low mileage cars: You are always welcome on ecomodder.com

What? Moderator of what? I'm an electrical engineer, not a tribologist. How on Earth could I be working for the competition? My company doesn't engineer anything related to automotive, let alone lubrication.

OH wait, I get it. When facts don't back up your schtick, it is time to start name calling and making up lies about folks? Class move.

Notice I used IIRC? Aren't you an A-Rx moderator, or you were a mod for them? That's what I was referring too, when I mentioned working for the competition. Either way you make it a point to attack MMO in these threads. BTW What name/names did I call you? I did warn the OP of MMO bashers early on, but I didn't give names, no need too.

Schtick? Yea right. LOL

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wow I wasn't trying to start a brawl I just wanted to help save some people a few bucks.

Interesting thought demarpaint, my Jeep I-6 is about as "anti-modern" as you can get hah hah no wonder it likes it.

KC I'm glad you posted, and you can't say I didn't warn you. Enjoy the benefits of MMO, and to those members who don't believe you, saw no benefits yet still use it, [kind of odd?], or hate the product, they shouldn't use it. Really pretty simple isn't it?

Can anyone post up a scientific explanation of how/why MMO will boost mileage in a vehicle? I want to believe, but my skeptical side won't let me.

The poster who questioned the 17% increase in mileage is dead-on. It is just unbelievable that you can get this stuff at Wal-Mart dirt cheap, and it is that effective.

Anyone watch the news? Obama and the Fuel Economy standards? Washington and Detroit, we have your answer!

JK

KC I'm glad you posted, and you can't say I didn't warn you. Enjoy the benefits of MMO, and to those members who don't believe you, saw no benefits yet still use it, [kind of odd?], or hate the product, they shouldn't use it. Really pretty simple isn't it?

Hah hah yes you did no worries just surprised.

I don't really know why it works but it's working for me. Anyone on the fence I'd suggest try it, it's a mighty cheap experiment.

I don't know if it will work in every vehicle either, but all my vehicles are older and probably therefore most stand to benefit from it. I'll be getting the results of the first tank with MMO in my wife's minivan tomorrow, I already have a baseline for that vehicle of 20.5 mpg so we'll see. It has 120k on it.

Originally Posted By: vtb
Can anyone post up a scientific explanation of how/why MMO will boost mileage in a vehicle? I want to believe, but my skeptical side won't let me.

The poster who questioned the 17% increase in mileage is dead-on. It is just unbelievable that you can get this stuff at Wal-Mart dirt cheap, and it is that effective.

Anyone watch the news? Obama and the Fuel Economy standards? Washington and Detroit, we have your answer!

JK

I believe the OP might see similar gains with TCW3 in an old engine. IMO a UCL makes for a better ring seal, which would explain a better idle and increased mpg, in an older engine. As I said in an engine in perfect running order what needs to be improved? In that case MMO will be a preventative measure, keeping injectors clean and lubing the fuel pump. JMO

It looks like MMO is of the most benefit to older technology engines. If it is, I'll still take it. I have an old-tech V6 and a high-tech I4 in the house to try this out on.

Just to be clear--I use MMO in every tank of gas I buy, I did some exerimenting and found the best dose for my truck is 4 ounces to each 10 gallons. I do not use MMO specifically to increase my MPG. I use it for its UCL properties and to improve the piston ring seal and therefore increase my compression, provide more power and a nice smooth even idle. I use MMO because it helps to offset the negative effects of ethanol in gasoline. MMO also works as a mild fuel injector cleaner and it lubricates my fuel pump and fuel injectors. All of these benefits combine to produce a very welcome side effect of increased MPG. I do not need any scientific testing or quantifiable results. I know my truck like the back of my hand and I know how it runs. I did do a little experiment not long ago, I ran a different brand of gas and did not add MMO. I just wanted to see if there were any noticeable differences without it, and boy was I surprised. I may have just gotten some bad gas but my truck ran like a sick chicken on the gas I used without MMO. I ran out half of that tank, added 6 ounces of MMO and topped up with the 7-11 gas I usually buy and within 10 miles of driving my truck was back to its old self again. I track my gas mileage on www.fuelly.com and before that I kept handwritten MPG records and I know for a fact I get a consistent 1 to 2 more miles per gallon with MMO. This and similar experiences are all the proof I need. I will not skip MMO again.

MMO does work, it can help increase MPG and it does help older engines. Maybe there is not as much of a noticeable improvement in new or lower-mile engines. The trick with MMO is to first start out with a good strong PEA based fuel system cleaner like Regane or Red Line Si-1, or have a professional fuel induction service done. Then start with MMO. The idea is to get the system cleaned really well first, then use MMO to keep it clean. The other trick with MMO is you have to be consistent with its use. It is not a magic one-time-cure-in-a-bottle. You have to add it to every tank of gas and it may or may not take a few tanks to see the initial benefits from it.

I will try to make a long story short here. When I bought my truck used at 42,000 miles, it had bad preignition ping. It's a known problem on some Dodge Magnum engines. I tried several remedies for it including different types and brands of spark plugs and having two fuel induction services done. I finally fixed the ping by using a colder spark plug and a lower degree thermostat. I drove my truck like that, had no ping or other problems for a long time. On my last tune-up I went back to a spark plug in the stock heat range for my truck. I was worried that the ping condtion might return with stock heat plugs, but I did that tune up back in March and the ping still has not come back. I think the use of MMO for a year and a half cleaned the carbon from my pistons and that is why I still have no ping. I am no mechanic but that is what I think has happened.

MMO works. Some people get better results than others. It works great for me. I always say my only complaint is I wish I had discovered it sooner.

For some reason my reply yesterday didn't get posted.
I was saying that 17% is an amazing increase and whether it is due to subconscious driving changes or not, the OP should be happy if they continue to see those results.
Personally I have 250k miles (from 81k-332k presently) of MPG numbers on my Mazda. I used acetone for a while, UCL, MMO, TCW3 for experimenting and techron or regane for cleaning/maintenance. I tried to confirm a 4% increase from Lucas UCL, and if I *wanted* to see it in the numbers, I believe I could have. Nothing was statistically significant, though. 17% would have been 5-6 MPG and easy to see, if repeatable. When you look at my MPG per tank graph, it resembles a heart monitor - no way to clearly pick out any reliable trends. I think the only one may have been new tires that caused a hit on MPG for a consistent while.
I can't even confirm the 'smoothness' that people report anymore. I used to imagine I could, but having used TCW3 this tank as the first additive used in ages, I haven't noticed much differnce and I believe its b/c I'm not 'looking hard enough' for it.
Self-fulfilling MPG prophecy? Either way I'm happy that people are saving gas - we guzzle too much of it in my opinion.

I have used MMO in oil (last 2,000 miles of OCI) as well as fuel (3 oz. per 10 gallons)... Good stuff ! I also use TC-W3 and a combo of 1:1 ratio of TC-W3 and Techron added to gas at 640:1 ratio which also works well . Just now discovered the Redline product which is good to mix into the equation ... All can be beneficial .

MMO made my exhaust smell nice.

Increased mpg? No.

Improve ring seal? Never noticed.

Quiet lifters? For a short time. ARX did better.

Use it in oil? Not any more.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
MMO made my exhaust smell nice.

Use it in oil? Not any more.

Are you using it in your gas still to make the exhaust smell nice? j/k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back