Bosch, STP, or Fram Extra Guard from Autozone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 1989 Montero. I'm going to switch over to Mobil 1 oil. Autozone doesn't have the Mobil 1 filter in. They have Bosch, STP, and Fram Extra Guard. Are these any good?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Fram Exteneded Guard - excellent filter.

AZ doesn't carry the Xtended Guard, only the Tough Guard & Extra Guard (both a little on the weak & overpriced side). The STP may be an Ecore design-if there's a plastic cage visible through the center hole (do a search for horror stories), the Bosch is a decent filter.

The OP said Extra Guard ie (OCOD).

Bosch is by leaps and bounds the better choice out of the filters mentioned.

You should wait until they get the M1 filter in. That is what the sale is on if you buy M1 oil. WAIT for the M1 filter for your vehicle. tell them to save it for you behind the counter.

Or They MUST give you a discount. The Bosch is not as good as the M1 filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
The OP said Extra Guard ie (OCOD).

Bosch is by leaps and bounds the better choice out of the filters mentioned.

You should wait until they get the M1 filter in. That is what the sale is on if you buy M1 oil. WAIT for the M1 filter for your vehicle. tell them to save it for you behind the counter.

Or They MUST give you a discount. The Bosch is not as good as the M1 filter.

+1.....bosch is a good filter....but not up to the Mobil 1 filter. M-1 is a superior filter.

Just tell them you'll wait....it shouldn' take them long to get it in.

Bosch filters are basically PureONE media with rubber parts and no grippy paint so they are excellent for 'normal' (whatever your definition of 'normal' is) OCIs.

I'm not so sure that Mobil 1 filters have better efficiency than PureONEs...

PureOne or Mobil 1 - the Mobil 1 is more expensive so I would insist they order it in for you to honor the sale .

Originally Posted By: steve20
why are we talking Mobil -1 anything, on a 22 year old vehicle? USe a high quality dino, and you're done

+1 i would look into the GTX HM deal

Why not just go to online to filter barn and get a Baldwin B1402 they are only $2.97 each and it's mix media filter with a 12 micron nominal rating.

Your not going to do better than that for the price. It's also a little bit taller than stock to give you more filtering surface. I use these on my wifes Altima perfect for 8000 miles OCI.

^ Does that price include shipping? Couldn't find the shipping cost without registering (don't care for that). Also the 89 Montero specs to Fram PH3950, Xrefs to Baldwin B173S for $2.42. But as with Rock Auto shipping cost can drastically change the total price. Just sayin.

To the topic, the STP could be an ecore. Again, Bosch Premium would be my choice of the three.

Your right must have punched in the wrong cross reference.

Shipping $10.93 is you bought the 3 in stock. Which I would because those are damm good filters for under 17 bucks. But you can always get Bosch if your just going to do normal oil change intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back