Best oil for 110,000 mi 87 Toyota 4cyl pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you advise using in a 2.4 4 cyl 87 Toyota pickup with 110,000 miles on it? Should I go with diesel oil or conventional oil & what weight. I prefer to stay away from synthetics. This is a SOHC solid lifter engine

Last edited:
I`d just go with a good pcmo dino w/weight per manual`s specs. My preferred brands,Pennzoil and Valvoline.

Last edited:
Pcmo just means passenger car motor oil. Hdeo would be heavy duty engine oil (diesel oil). I wouldn`t use diesel oil in your truck,just a good dino like Pennzoil yellow bottle or Valvoline white bottle in 10W30 w/a good oil filter like a Toyota oem or a Wix.

With the solid lifters I'd use a dual rated HDEO (such as CJ-4/SM) in a 10W30-Shell Rotella Triple T (dino), T5 (syn blend), Chevron Delo 400 LE 10W30 (dino)-you want that extra zinc for the flat lifter cam protection.

You don't want a diesel oil what you want is a HDEO oil "Heavy Duty Engine Oil" . HDEOS are the best oils on the market if you need the heavy duty part. The engine 22r "RE" is not very hard on oil being ohc it has lighter valve spring pressures than an cam in block "pushrod" engine"

Thank you, its a 22r, no injection, base model. Most trouble free vehicle Ive ever owned, bought it new. Put timing chain and tensioner blocks on it last year & head gasket {slight coolant leak to outside}

Living in Montana.....a good year-round dino such as PP or Mobil Super 5000 or Valvoline in 5w30 (if thats the weight you manuel specs).

There is no "best" oil.

There are many good quality oils. Some have already been mentioned. Others are available.

Any decent dino PCMO oil should suffice with "normal" OCIs.

If you work it hard & heavy in the summer, a 15W-40 would be my choice, 5W-30 or 10W-30 for normal use. 5W-30 in your Montana winter. An engine block heater will add to the engine life as well as driver comfort and cleaner air in the winter...less thermal dimension change when first starting and driving for less wear, cabin heater comes on sooner, and the engine warms and puts out the cleanest possible exhaust sooner.

I kind of like Supertech High Mileage 5W30 for that truck. Its affordable and easy to get if your near a Walmart.

Zinc - 850 ppm
Phosphorus - 720 ppm
Calcium - 2140 ppm
Moly - 80 ppm
Boron - 230 ppm

quaker-state-5w30-high-mileage-oil-1-litre-bottle_4799039.jpg

Your 22R will run forever with a good 10W30 and good filter. I wouldn`t be fussy about the brand just keep it changed regularly. They are great motors that will take lots of hard work and abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back