2011 HEMI 5.7 oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought my wife a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland fully loaded with the HEMI 5.7. We love this truck so far. Only has 300 miles right now. I'm planning on an early oil change @ around 500-1000mi. I plan on using Mopar filters. What are you guys and gals using in your HEMI's? I love RedLine, but I want to use an approved 5w-20 in this motor. Was thinking Mobil 1. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
both will work well, I use them in my 6.1, and Mobil 1 oil filter M1-210, now Redline suggest not using their oil until like something after 3000 miles, and New Hemi's will burn almost 1/2 qt every 1000 miles until about 3000 to 4000 miles after that mine doesn't burn enough to notice between oil changes. just my 2 cents.
i just wanted to add since the motor has MDS use the recommended oil weight or the MDS lifters could act up.

Montrose

Last edited:
Personally I like PP 5W20 better than M1, my engines seem to run smoother with PP than M1. Does the manual says anything about 0W20 ? If you can run 0W20 in the Hemi 5.7 then M1 0W20 is better than 5W20, mainly because it has better VI at 173 vs 160, and slightly thinner at lower temp.

Yeah I am quite familiar with the 3,000 recommndation that Redline advises, but to be honest I can't justify the expense for it in a truck my wife will likely only keep for about three years lol. At what mileage did you do your first oil change? I'm new to the HEMI, but so far I love it. Funny coming from a Hardcore GM LSX guy!

I'm pretty sure the manual states use 5w-20 oil only for the VVT system to work optimally.

Last edited:
i did my first oil change at 500 miles and after that they way i drive the oil chage light comes on at less than 2600 miles with oil temps over 250 it kills oil.

Montrose

As a six year owner of a 6.1 I can tell you that this particular engine needs a HARD break in. Otherwise expect oil usage as stated above. Get on it hard and let it run, it will reward you with longer happier service. The new Eagle 5.7 is a terrific motor.

Mine doesn't use a drop. Even at track days, aftermarket tune and with raised rev limiter (6600 rpm).

If you are going to keep it only 3 years then use the cheapest approved 5w20 conventional and filter you can.

Originally Posted By: MJB09SRT8
both will work well, I use them in my 6.1, and Mobil 1 oil filter M1-210, now Redline suggest not using their oil until like something after 3000 miles, and New Hemi's will burn almost 1/2 qt every 1000 miles until about 3000 to 4000 miles after that mine doesn't burn enough to notice between oil changes. just my 2 cents.
i just wanted to add since the motor has MDS use the recommended oil weight or the MDS lifters could act up.

Montrose

When you say "new Hemi's" are you talking about the 2009+ 5.7L or the 5.7L in general that started in 2003? I have had a 2004 and currently have a 2008 5.7L and never burned a drop of oil in either.

Originally Posted By: Radman
Castrol GTX 5W30 in the 10 quart box. Best bang for the buck!!

His 5.7L has MDS and requires a 20 weight oil for proper operation and for warranty.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
If you are going to keep it only 3 years then use the cheapest approved 5w20 conventional and filter you can.

Yes, everyone buys a beautiful Overland just to dump it in 3 yrs LOL

I would run any of the PP, Mobil 1 or Amsoil if it were mine.

My brother has 2010 Challenger, it doesnt use a drop of oil. He is going to run the 0w-20 Amsoil in it with Amsoil EAO filter.

Enjoy your WK2, it is an awesome machine, probably the best SUV out there!

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Just bought my wife a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland fully loaded with the HEMI 5.7. We love this truck so far. Only has 300 miles right now. I'm planning on an early oil change @ around 500-1000mi. I plan on using Mopar filters. What are you guys and gals using in your HEMI's? I love RedLine, but I want to use an approved 5w-20 in this motor. Was thinking Mobil 1. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Congrat's on the new ride. The 5.7L is a great motor. I have driven a couple Ram's with the redesigned 5.7L( 09+ )and they are really nice I owned a 2004 Ram w/ 5.7L and now have a 2008 Ram w/ 5.7L and MDS and they too are great.

According to the 2011 GC owner's manual you need to...

5W-20
MS-6395
API w/ Starburst
Changed by the OLm ( 8000/6 months MAX )

Redline, while a great product, does not meet your warranty requirements and I would not use it. I would use one of the following( all meet your warranty requirements )...

Royal Purple( new formula )
Kendalll GT-1 Full Syn
Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra
Amsoil XL or OE

Those are the oils I personally like. You certainly can use Mobil 1 if you wish. It is good oil. I just personally prefer the above. Absolutely stick with a 20 weight. 5W only if your dealer is a stickler for the rules or 0W if they can be a little reasonable. Use a 20 weight period though unless you disable MDS.

MOPAR filters obviously will work and they are OEM. However, at least around here they are expensive for what you get even at Wal-Mart. Youc an get a quality filter like Purolator for a lot less. Nothingw rong with the MOPAR ones though if that is what you want to run.

Last edited:
I was talking about from 2003 to now, since the ring pac hasn't really changed since then, it's what I noticed on mine and on one SRT engineers chat session they stated that if you baby it too much on break in it will take longer for the rings to seat and burn more oil, I have been hard on mine since then and she has run just fine with regular maintaince of course.

Montrose

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee hemi, and it has 83000 miles currently. I'd personally recommend a quality dino in this engine. All the forums I've read seemed to have a higher incidence of the dreaded "hemi tick" when synthetic was used. I can tell you that it runs great on dino, I used mainly havoline, valvoline and pennzoil in mine and it still runs great. Also, consumption is minimal, less than 1/2 qt per 3000 miles. If you must do syn, consider a SOPUS product.

I have a 2010 Hemi and have been running the 5W-20 Amsoil XL with WIX filters and so far so good.

We get well below 0 F where I live so the synthetic is nice when I have to start it after sitting outside.

The XL UOA's look sound.

Why a SHELL product? Do PP and ULTRA seem to be less noisy in these HEMI'S?? I would run Amsoil if I didnt have to order it. Just like being lazy on this one and heading to Wally world! lol

I run PP 5w20 in my 2010 Hemi Grand Cherokee. I tried using Valvoline synpower because it was on sale but I noticed the PP makes the MDS transition "smoother". As for oil filters, I run a Motorcraft FL820s or a Purolator Gold. Just stay away from the orange box (fram). The Hemi has a history of "blow by" through the intake manifold. I suggest you invest in a catch can. I run the one by billet technologies. I change my oil every 3 months/3,000 miles and the can gets a 1/4 full of oil!!!!

Originally Posted By: RiotGrip
All the forums I've read seemed to have a higher incidence of the dreaded "hemi tick" when synthetic was used.

Exact opposite experience for me and I have been on the Dodge/HEMI sites since 2004. Synthetics are commonly used to combat the dreaded HEMI tick. I can honestly say, and this is not meant to be offensive, that you are the 1st person I have EVER heard/can recall say what you did in the quote above.
confused2.gif

I have had 2 5.7L HEMI vehicles. A 2004 Ram and now my 2008 Ram, The 2004 had the HEMI tick BAD! It started up around 500 miles or so. I actually ran conventional oil( GTX )longer than usual in it so the tick drove me nuts. When I finally swapped over to RP 5W-30 it cut it a good 75-80%. I tried RP 5W-20 in it to see if it would help more but it made it a little worse so it was back to the 5W-30.

In my 08 I have no tick at all. Not even the slightest bit( knock on wood, throw salt over my shoulder, pray, etc... I will regret sayting that
33.gif
). Swapped the FF dino out to PP for a short run and then to RP. All 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: MJB09SRT8
I was talking about from 2003 to now, since the ring pac hasn't really changed since then, it's what I noticed on mine and on one SRT engineers chat session they stated that if you baby it too much on break in it will take longer for the rings to seat and burn more oil, I have been hard on mine since then and she has run just fine with regular maintaince of course.

Montrose

I am at 23K on my 2008 5.7L Ram( had it 3 years come Nov )and I drive pretty conservative. No oil consumption from it at all over 5K OCI's. Had a 2004 that was the same truck except the 08 has MDS. I was much more aggressive with that truck and would get on it a LOT. Never burned a drop over 5K OCI's in that one either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back