Drain oil first or remove filter first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This topic was touched upon in another thread, thought I'd ask everyone about it.

I have always drained the pan, and then removed the filter.

Could there really be a reason to remove the filter first?

Ive always drained the oil first cause then while your waiting for the oil to drain you can pull the filter

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Ive always drained the oil first cause then while your waiting for the oil to drain you can pull the filter

+1

thumbsup2.gif

It really depends on the location of your oil filter, if its behind the oil pan, do the filter first otherwise follow the advice above.

i do the filter first due to the fact that i only do 1 step at a time, when you do multiple things at once you are more likely to forget something/make a mistake, this is a key part of a training program i have created for lube techs, after implementing my system we went from averaging 25 leaks/come backs a year average to just 5, we do about 600 lofs a month, also the average time was dropped by 5 min. and our upsells went up 28%, although most of this has nothing to do with your question. but filter first always, it is ussually tougher to get to so you might as well get it out of the way, it also takes less drain time so you can can spend less time under the car, you can spin the old filter off then the new one back on, pull the drain plug, get out from under the car and do something else while it drains, in our case give the car a good inspection, fill out the inspection form, and let the customer know about any and all recommendations we have (without being pushy, it's there car and there choice, our job is to inform not sell!)

Last edited:
I usually pull the filter first. That way if I drop a slippery filter into the pan, it's doesn't have 5 qts of hot oil to splash everywhere or on me...

The cartridge oil filter is on top of the engine of my E430, I unscrewed the oil filter holder first to let oil drained down into the oil pan, then hook up the oil extractor to siphon the oil through the dipstick tube, while the oil was extracted I changed the cartridge filter and 4 gaskets on the filter holder, by the time I had it done and reinstalled the oil was siphoned.

The other cars have spin on filter near the bottom of the engine, I drained the oil first.

One benefit of pulling the filter first is having additional airflow into the crankcase so that the oil drains faster.........but of course you can accomplish the same thing by removing the oil fill cap and/or dipstick tube to get the oil to drain faster. Same concept as opening up a can of juice or evaporated milk with 2 holes instead of one.

I don't have a reason why, but I've always drain the oil first. When that is completed, I switch out the filter. It's just become habit now.

If you remove the filter first, in all-spin on apps...wait to put the new filter on until the oil pan has drained. Sometimes, depending on several factors perhaps, more oil will seep back out of the oil filter location once the drain plug is pulled. Every little bit of the old out, right?
thumbsup2.gif

PS: Is there a reason you use a siphon via the dipstick location HTSS_TR? Any pros/potential cons?

Originally Posted By: chainblu
I usually pull the filter first. That way if I drop a slippery filter into the pan, it's doesn't have 5 qts of hot oil to splash everywhere or on me...

^^ I do this, for the very same reason.

I've just gotten into the habit of draining the oil first. Let it drain for 15-20 mins while I check other stuff. Then change out the filter.

Drop the oil, change the filter... Been doin' it this way for almost 45 years, ain't chaining now...

I long ago quit using a open oil drain pan, went to the type with a small stopper in the center and a spout to pour the used oil from, no possibility of drain plug or filter falling in hot oil...

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Is there a reason you use a siphon via the dipstick location HTSS_TR? Any pros/potential cons?

The Mercedes dipstick tube ended at the bottom of the oil pan, using a fluid extractor to siphon oil through dipstick tube is very convenience and the oil filter is on top of the engine therefore I can change oil+filter without getting under the car. Also, I use fluid extractor to do ATF, PSF and one man brake flush. It doesn't work as well for Honda S2000 or Lexus LS400, I tried to siphon oil for these 2 cars and sometimes I could get 90-95%, but other times I only got 80-85%.

The con is another tool in your garage, and it costs about $70-80 for a good one.

For Mercedes and previous generations BMW and Audi, fluid extractor is the easiest way to do oil change.

Interesting, hey if you were stuck without the ability to raise your vehicle for any reason, if it was possible to siphon out fluids successfully that's awesome! Great way to fix a drastic overfill, or wrong fluid used to fill.
27.gif

Also, could be handy if a drain plug has had signs of stripping.
45.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work

This topic was touched upon in another thread, thought I'd ask everyone about it.

I have always drained the pan, and then removed the filter.

Could there really be a reason to remove the filter first?

In my Ford,no. In my daughters Cobalt , yes. The filter is a cartridge type on top of the engine. The bottom of the filter has a type of anti-drain back plug. When you pull it out, old oil drops back to the pan. I change the filter first so I don't get the (admittedly small amount, my guess, 6 ozs.) Of old oil into the pan after I drained it.

I cahange the filter first, then drain the pan. Then I can let her drip to my hearts content while I read BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back