Quaker State Ultimate Durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was looking over MSDS sheets for Quaker State syns and I came across this MSDS According to this the 10w30 is a blend of polyolefins and additives. So does this mean the 10w30 is mostly PAO contrary to the all group III???

I don't want this to end up in a "which base oil is best" debate. I just found this interesting.

Last edited:
Interesting. I found the 5w-30 MSDS for the United States for QSUD at the same site and it says
"Blend of synthetic hydrocarbon, polyalphaolefins and additives.
The highly refined mineral oil contains w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.
The highly refined mineral oil is only present as additive diluent."

And to add, it says the following for Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30
"Distillates (petroleum),
hydrotreated light paraffinic
64742-55-8 1.00 - 5.00%
Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate 68649-42-3 1.00 - 5.00%
Blend of polyolefins and additives."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TTK
Interesting. I found the 5w-30 MSDS for the United States for QSUD at the same site and it says
"Blend of synthetic hydrocarbon, polyalphaolefins and additives.
The highly refined mineral oil contains w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.
The highly refined mineral oil is only present as additive diluent."

And to add, it says the following for Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30
"Distillates (petroleum),
hydrotreated light paraffinic
64742-55-8 1.00 - 5.00%
Zinc alkyl dithiophosphate 68649-42-3 1.00 - 5.00%
Blend of polyolefins and additives."

In English please?

I called QS (Shell) about a year ago about this and they (tech support) claim that QSUD is not PAO based. But from I understand, any motor oil that meets the GM4718 spec contains some PAO (how much?, don't know). Either way, from my experience/opinion QSUD performs the same as any other brand name synthetic meeting the GM4718 spec and is what I've been running in my '06 F150.

Either way there is nothing that says hydrotreated, which is group 3. It just says polyolefins which screams all group 4. I knew QSUD was a sleeper but possible grp4?!

I wonder why some of the oil guru's have not commented on this thread. It certainly seems that QSUD is significantly Group 4, but I am not totally sure how to interpret the specs. It is surprising, especially in light of the specs for Pennzoil Platinum which seems less Group 4 than QSUD. Now Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 says this
"Blend of polyolefins, hydrocarbon solvent and additives."
and that is all.

Originally Posted By: TTK
I wonder why some of the oil guru's have not commented on this thread. It certainly seems that QSUD is significantly Group 4, but I am not totally sure how to interpret the specs. It is surprising, especially in light of the specs for Pennzoil Platinum which seems less Group 4 than QSUD. Now Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 says this
"Blend of polyolefins, hydrocarbon solvent and additives."
and that is all.

SOPUS doesn't use much, if any PAO (group IV) from what I understand.

Did you read the MSDS? It seems the majority of QSUD is polyolefins.

I believe PAO is part of the family of Polyolefins. So, an oil could contain significant PAO with a description of Polyolefins. And, Polyolefins cannot be joined by solvent cementing.

Last edited:
PAO is made from an olefin from the polyolefin family. Polyolefin

The more I dig the more I do believe QSUD 10w30 is PAO. Now I don't understand it all 100% but as an educated man that is my hypothesis. Johnny could definitely shed some light on it.

Curious to learn something definitive in this thread.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
PAO is made from an olefin from the polyolefin family. Polyolefin

The more I dig the more I do believe QSUD 10w30 is PAO. Now I don't understand it all 100% but as an educated man that is my hypothesis. Johnny could definitely shed some light on it.

Same here, but it is not just 10w-30. 5w-30 shows the same description.

Seen these on sale at OLLIES for $3.99 a quart . All were SN/GF-4 . They also had 0w-20 and 5w-20 .

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
the 0w20 QSUD looks pretty nice on paper.

It runs nice in an engine also. I have it in my MDX right now. Previous fill was Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20.

My impression of the 0W-20 QSUD is the engine seems to have a touch more throttle response, a touch more giddy-up. And on the other hand, it seems to have a touch more "graininess" to the feel of the engine, and it's maybe a touch noisier. Neither of these are anything my wife notices.

Honestly, I think I will go back to PU 5W-20 next time. The engine hasn't felt smoother or quieter on anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back