Best Hub Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this morning I heard a low squeal while driving and it turns out my wheel bearing is going out. Problem is I have to buy the entire hub assembly. GM wants $550 for the OEM part so I plan on going aftermarket. The problem is I don't know anything about the brands.

Anyone know what quality aftermarket hub assembly is. I know cheaper is not always better but I can probably find a high quality hub assembly for half the GM price. I just don't know which one?

Brands I've seen:
Napa
Master Pro
Precision
Proformer
Moog
(my perception is this is a quality part, at least all the 16yr old parts counter guys say so, LOL)
Driveworks
BCA

Last edited:
SKF or Timken.
SKF hubs are made in USA and are considered by many to be the best aftermarket hubs, many Timken are also US made and are of comparable quality but many part #'s are showing up from the the far east. I would check the box before buying Timken.
AZ sells Timken so you can check the box before you buy, if its American made its good quality.

Moog is a Federal-Mogul brand but i have no idea who makes the hub but its probably a rebranded National which i believe also makes BCA, not bad but not SKF or Timken quality.

My money goes to SKF.

Napa top line are sourced from SKF. The value line are white box from China.

SKF are made in either US, Mexico, and Korea. Our Napa store group has had good luck with them.

Dave

Last edited:
I put a set of National hubs on my truck earlier this year. No problems at all with them but I can't remember where they were made. I got them at Advance, purchased online with one of their discount codes, did two separate transactions, one for each hub and saved about $80.00 on the set IIRC. I picked them up in the local store later that day, they had the parts waiting on the counter for me. I have had absolutely no problems at all with these National hubs.

Originally Posted By: bmod305
Napa top line are sourced from SKF. The value line are white box from China.

SKF are made in either US, Mexico, and Korea. Our Napa store group has had good luck with them.

Dave

Good to know. I'll probably stick to SKF or the Napa Ultra Premium. I've only seen the SKF on rockauto.com, not sure of any local parts stores that carry them.

I've heard bad things about replacement hubs with bearings made in China. I've never tried them though, since I've only used Timken so far.

Originally Posted By: Trav
My money goes to SKF.

They make the hub/wheel bearing assembly that LG Motorsports sells to most of the open track/road race Vette owners who corner at almost 2 gs (or more) with sticky Hoosier R6 (or even grippier Dunlop/Goodyear/Hoosier/etc. pure RACING SLICKS) on the front.

I AGREE!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I've heard bad things about replacement hubs with bearings made in China. I've never tried them though, since I've only used Timken so far.

Well don't try them on a car you care about. I often hear them growl after 10,000 miles of driving.

Anyway, I only end up getting to install an SKF or Timken unit when one of those pathetic discount units are not available or don't exist for that application.

Some import cars have a Beck/Arnley part that is just a different label on an OE part. Those sound like a smart idea to me.

according to the Timken rep (and I don't believe everything I hear from sales reps), BCA hub assemblies are made by Timken.
and Moog makes solid parts.. they re-engineer OE issues out of their parts and you do pay a bit more for a Moog part.. but rest assured it'll last.

I've had good luck with GMB hubs as well, although they're 100% chinese made as well as DTA (DriveTech America).

No reason to goto the dealership for this part, unless they're gonna warranty it.

I just used the Dealio code to order up some hub/bearings from AAP for my Neon SRT4. I didnt do any research before purchase, so I hope the Moogs are of good quality

$550?!? call the police, and report an attempted robbery!

you should be able to get a Timken from autozone for under $200

+1 for Timken.

I had a precision (china hub) go out after 7,000 miles. It came with a lifetime warranty. But it cost me $10 to ship it back and then they charged me $15 to ship a new one, so my free hub cost $25 and the time to do the job all over again.

Quote:
SKF are made in either US, Mexico, and Korea

Yes and no. I spoke to SKF yesterday to confirm this , i was told that currently most hubs for automotive and light truck use in the U.S.are Gen III X tracker and made in Kentucky.
The ones for my Pontiac GP and older FWD cars are listed as X Tracker not just SUV and truck.
Maybe hubs for other applications are made elsewhere i don't know.

Quote:
X-Tracker asymmetrical ball bearing
hub units are manufactured in SKF’s
Glasgow, Kentucky (USA) plant, which
was expanded and upgraded to include a
state-of-the-art HBU3 channel that produces
bearings for the Chrysler Group’s Dodge Durango
sport utility vehicle.

Last edited:
I used Timkin for the front hub/bearing assemblies on my 98 chevy K3500 two years ago and so far they have been fine.

Wayne

My order from AAP showed up the other day. The "Moog's" I ordered showed up in a National Brand box, and the hub/bearing assembly has "made in China" on them. I should be able to get around to installing them in the next week or two...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back