Motorcycle oils with Esters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard and read a lot about esters in motor oil. I want to try a MC oil with esters and can't decide between Amsoil, Yamalube, Motul and Redline. Does anyone know of any other oils with esters in them that I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Originally Posted By: Silk
Silkolene is also an ester oil.

Thank you. Seems to be a well made oil I mihgt have to try it.

there are a few uoa's on silkolene and they were very UNimpressive. shearing out of grade in short order.

pick motul or maxima before you pick silkolene

Originally Posted By: sunruh
Originally Posted By: Silk
Silkolene is also an ester oil.

Thank you. Seems to be a well made oil I mihgt have to try it.

there are a few uoa's on silkolene and they were very UNimpressive. shearing out of grade in short order.

pick motul or maxima before you pick silkolene

Motul 7100 10W-40 is my first choice. Just wanted to see what other ester synthetics were out there. Thank you for your input I really appreciate it. And that Bel-rey is too expensive for my flavor.

I just ordered motul 7100 last week and in the meantime i was looking at the amsoil white paper and saw that motul, which i always read was a top synthetic motorcycle oil, took almost last place among about 20 oils ! So in the meantime i decided to use mobil 1 and the bike is running really smooth and even seems a bit snappier than with the torco blend i was using. Now I have a gallon jug of motul and i don't want to use it ! If anyone wants to try and convince me that white paper if [censored] please do, as i hate having thrown away $50. Mobil 1 came in second to amsoil, so unless the formula has changed substantially (called mobil and rep said no change)as i asked in another thread, i'm sticking with that.

Hmmmm...I just went to look at it again and they took the pdf down. I wonder if there was a legal request they remove it from one of the other companies. I have never seen the white paper unavailable before. Maybe they're just doing maitenance, tho the rest of the amsoil site works.

Originally Posted By: daz
I just ordered motul 7100 last week and in the meantime i was looking at the amsoil white paper and saw that motul, which i always read was a top synthetic motorcycle oil, took almost last place among about 20 oils ! So in the meantime i decided to use mobil 1 and the bike is running really smooth and even seems a bit snappier than with the torco blend i was using. Now I have a gallon jug of motul and i don't want to use it ! If anyone wants to try and convince me that white paper if [censored] please do, as i hate having thrown away $50. Mobil 1 came in second to amsoil, so unless the formula has changed substantially (called mobil and rep said no change)as i asked in another thread, i'm sticking with that.

Since you have the oil on hand why don't you just try it out for yourself. I heard Castrol 4T is garbage for your bike for years. So I said let me see for myself. I just did an oil change and used it. So far gone 50 miles on Castrol 4T and no issues or noticeable difference on the clutch over the Yamalube I had in there.

all i can say is that for the first 9 out of the past 11 years, amsoil 20w50 would not stay in grade for me after 3hrs of motor use. almost 60 personal tests have shown whose marketing is better than their product and whose isnt!
btw, this latest version of amsoil is finally worthy of a top 5 in my book. it only took them 10+ years to get there!

Originally Posted By: sunruh
all i can say is that for the first 9 out of the past 11 years, amsoil 20w50 would not stay in grade for me after 3hrs of motor use. almost 60 personal tests have shown whose marketing is better than their product and whose isnt!
btw, this latest version of amsoil is finally worthy of a top 5 in my book. it only took them 10+ years to get there!

I assume you mean you had analysis done? If so, did you ever have any other oils analyzed that DID prove good?

I have seen that white paper and saw the Castrol 4T scored pretty high compared to Amsoil and yet people say it is junk.

The stuff they tested was not the white bottle Castrol 4T, but the full syn formulas that come in the gold bottle. The white bottle Castrol 4T is garbage.

Check this out. First i read the white paper which shows motul 7100 way down the list (around bottom 25%) in the final tally, then i research 7100 and found the forum post in the quote below somewhere. After the white paper and now this i have a bad feeling about 7100. I'm just the messenger so don't shoot me, but it does give me pause about using 7100, at least fully. I just changed to M1 Vtwin sunday and i'm pretty impressed and the difference in smoothness and even engine response over the torco i was using. I do have a new gallon jug of 7100, but after that i am relegating it to "top off" status. Bike takes 4.5 quarts, so 4 quarts of M1 and use the motul to finish off so as not to waste $50 worth of oil !

Quote:
I have seen inside lots of these engines so my advice is based on real world experience.
All the engines I have seen run on the 7100 Motul show much more bearing wear than the bikes run on 300V 15w50 or Agip 10w60.
The top end doesnt really seem to suffer but the bottom does.

Originally Posted By: daz
Check this out. First i read the white paper which shows motul 7100 way down the list (around bottom 25%) in the final tally, then i research 7100 and found the forum post in the quote below somewhere. After the white paper and now this i have a bad feeling about 7100. I'm just the messenger so don't shoot me, but it does give me pause about using 7100, at least fully. I just changed to M1 Vtwin sunday and i'm pretty impressed and the difference in smoothness and even engine response over the torco i was using. I do have a new gallon jug of 7100, but after that i am relegating it to "top off" status. Bike takes 4.5 quarts, so 4 quarts of M1 and use the motul to finish off so as not to waste $50 worth of oil !

Quote:
I have seen inside lots of these engines so my advice is based on real world experience.
All the engines I have seen run on the 7100 Motul show much more bearing wear than the bikes run on 300V 15w50 or Agip 10w60.
The top end doesnt really seem to suffer but the bottom does.

Daz, Thanks for this info. That's what we are all here for is to learn from each other. I have a friend who owns a shop and goes to the track and all he uses is 7100 or the 300V. He pushes 7100 on every biker he knows cause he trusts it's a good oil or because that's all he sells in his shop. Either way I am always looking for info on oils but I want hard proof data from a reliable source.

Same here. None of us really know anything but what we feel in the bike's performance when we ride it with different oils, or what we read which usually concerns wear. One can be placebo effect if you aren't careful, but when I put M1 vtwin in mine in place of torco the other day there wasn't any doubt at the results. Thats the kind of thing we CAN be certain of. wear is something we have to research and hopefully come to a likely conclusion by what we read. Specifically by reading the same thing several times because it's then more likely to be true. I can't say if 7100 will allow for more bearing wear. But unless this guy is out and out lying, coupled with the white paper it's enough for me to look elsewhere. Luckily we have that choice since there are a few other full synth bike oils available. I'm sticking with M1 because since day one i have always found it to perform better in ways I absolutely can be sure of and have never read anything bad about it, not to mention it took 2nd to amsoil in thier white paper tests. And lets face it, if that paper is B S they surely wouldn't have put an oil in 2nd place to thiers that is probably the easiest oil to find and cheaper than thiers and cheap as any other full synth. Why put what may be the most tempting value in second place if it's B S?

So i'm the furthest thing from an oil expert. But i'm not stupid, and logic tells me to stick with what mobil 1 V-twin. It's like flipping a coin. Flip it 3 times and it might just land on tails 3 times. Flip it 50 times and it will almost surely be close to 50/50 heads/tails. read all you can and a picture begins to appear that will almost surely at the very least be close to the truth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back