AA 460 Plane Megaorder; Adios MD-8X Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-18...bus-boeing.html

Sources are showing a Boeing/Airbus split. Although, I would insist standardization to the superior 737-800 family akin to Southwest at Love Field down the road from DFW would have been the best choice for any number of reasons. I am not an A320 fan.

The MD-8X types are older than me. That being said McDonnell Douglass and Lockheed made amazing air frames. I guess along with the Lockheed Tristar, and 727 here is another type to bid my farewells too.

Last edited:
That is what Boeing gets for dithering on what they were going to do with the 737 for so long. They kept saying maybe new plane, maybe re-engine, and Airbus stole the market with the A320neo. In fact Boeing is fortunate that Airbus did not get this whole order.

Not sure what you have against the A320, it's a fine aircraft.

In the end though, AA had no choice but to buy from both if they want to retire the MD-80 within the next 5 years. But don't get it wrong, this was a decisive win for Airbus. As far as firm orders announced today, it was 260 for Airbus and 97 for Boeing. AA had already exercised 3 options for the 738 on 7/1 so that makes an even total of 100 this month.

AA's order of the other 100 "737neo" or whatever they're going to call it, is soft as pudding at this point, just read the language in the press release. It's basically a MoU as of today. There also exists 40 options for the current engine 737 and 60 options for the new engine 737, so there you have it. 100 firm currently, maybe 100 more, and 100 more options.

An important factor, not to be overlooked, is that Airbus was willing to provide AA with a very friendly financing package on these aircraft.
AA is in a very weak financial position, so that alone may have been decisive, since nobody doubts that the A320, neo or not, can do the job.
Boeing may have been either unable or unwilling to match the financing terms Airbus brought to the table.
The 737NG is about maxed out on fan diameter growth, so I can't see an easy cheap neo for the 737, unlike the A320.
There has been speculation that Boeing would need to lose an established customer to finally move on the replacement for the NG.
Despite the bad blood between AA and AB over the A300's maintenance history at AA, as well as the 11/01 accident, this has now happened.
Boeing better get moving before Soutwest and Delta make their future fleet plans.

I was in the meeting with the top brass at Boeing and Honeywell this week concerning AA aircraft orders. The order split is due to both Boeing and Airbus not able to deliver the total number of aircrafts by either one in time. Boeing is currently behind schedule with the B747-8 and the B787. Airbus is behind schedule with the A350 and the A380. The 737NG will live on for another 20 years and we are developing the FMS for it.

From the inside is the 737 a good piece of equipment? They seem to be used by many carriers for as long as I remember.

Originally Posted By: outrun
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-18...bus-boeing.html

Sources are showing a Boeing/Airbus split. Although, I would insist standardization to the superior 737-800 family akin to Southwest at Love Field down the road from DFW would have been the best choice for any number of reasons. I am not an A320 fan.

The MD-8X types are older than me. That being said McDonnell Douglass and Lockheed made amazing air frames. I guess along with the Lockheed Tristar, and 727 here is another type to bid my farewells too.

My neighbor retired form his job early because he did not want to qualify on another plane due to the MD80? being pulled from the airline he worked for.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
"....... in fact Boeing is fortunate that Airbus did not get this whole order.

But don't get it wrong, this was a decisive win for Airbus......"

Airbus could not have fulfilled the whole order. But don't get it wrong. There is a HUGE difference between ordered aircraft and delivered aircraft.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
From the inside is the 737 a good piece of equipment? They seem to be used by many carriers for as long as I remember.

The 737 is a fantastic plane as is the A320. I found the 737 more rewarding to fly manually. More of a 'pilots' plane, I keep more proficient on it easier. I'm a stick and rudder guy, I'd rather fly it than let the autopilot. When I went to the 737 I was like a kid in a candy store. It's nice to have manual control over my control surfaces. The 'Bus is a fine aircraft and somewhat easier to operate and more comfortable to be in from a pilots perspective. The 737 can climb to cruise altitude faster but the A320 has a higher climb speed. Then again The 737-3/4/500 has quite thick wings and can take off at similar weights as the A320 but in a shorter distance. If you want to get really technical the 737-700 with winglets its a tad more efficient than the 320, but the 320 carries more passengers. Sorry to overload you, they're both fine AC but I find the 737 more of an airplane.

I like Airbus now...... maybe its because most of them are newer?

after riding in a US Air A321 and a 737-400, I would rather ride in the Airbus everytime, the only planes I've really liked riding on better than the A321 are the ERJ and MD80's

ERJ is a sporty ride and the seating arrangement is awesome if your traveling alone. The MD80 has a nice seating arrangement if your traveling in a pair....

I rode on the Jumpseat on a Southwest flight yesterday. The FO and i got into talking about the future of Southwest and the 737. Awhile back Herb Kelleher walk into a meeting with Boeing while holding an "Airbus" coffee mug. The expression on the Boeing reps was priceless.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
Awhile back Herb Kelleher walk into a meeting with Boeing while holding an "Airbus" coffee mug. The expression on the Boeing reps was priceless.

He probably stole that from O'Leary over at Ryanair when O'Leary inked a contract to help the Chinese "develop" their first airliner.

And Boeing and Airbus ain't quaking over that "manuever."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back